× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MK73 Broken mDNS / Bonjour / SDDP / UPnP / DLNA

Snowy-Owl
Guide

MK73 Broken mDNS / Bonjour / SDDP / UPnP / DLNA

Hello, I would like to report a bug in the latest firmware for the MK73 1.0.3.34 and 1.0.3.32

If I upgrade to these firmware versions I lose mDNS, Bonjour, SDDP, UPnP and DLNA device access on my network. I can no longer access my media players over the network like my Denon AVR, Sonos speakers, Roku, etc. If I downgrade to version 1.0.2.26 this functionality is restored. I used a UPnP browser app to show before and after the firmware update to show my phone can no longer find these devices. I also attached a screenshot from the Denon app that shows it can't find my home theater receiver anymore.

My configuration is a simple AP mode. In AP mode it should act transparently. If I connect to a non MK73 access point I of course can see my UPnP devices again as well, which isolates the problem to the MK73.

Please update the firmware to fix this bug. Thank you!

Screenshot_BrokenNetgear.jpg

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Had a Factory reset performed after loading v1.0.3.34 on the system to see if this cleared the behavior?

Message 2 of 14
Snowy-Owl
Guide

Factory reset does not resolve the issue.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you opened a support ticket with NG support? 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Reference this forum thread as well.

@DarrenM 

Message 4 of 14
Snowy-Owl
Guide

Just sent a support email, hope they will fix the firmware.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍 Let us know how it goes. 

Message 6 of 14
z1Steven
Aspirant

Any updates on this?  I have a MK73 as well that I'm going to setup over the weekend so hoping it works out ok. 

Message 7 of 14
Snowy-Owl
Guide

No updates from Netgear, my support email has been ignored ☹️

Message 8 of 14
c_of_c_01
Tutor

Any update on this? I just upgraded to V1.0.3.34_2.0.58 on my MK73S system, and have lost access to my DLNA servers from my media players.

Message 9 of 14
Snowy-Owl
Guide

Sadly no response from Netgear on this issue. It seems they have abandoned us MK73 users with the last firmware update almost a year ago. Quite dissapointing a basic network device discovery protocol has been broken for so long.

Message 10 of 14
c_of_c_01
Tutor

Thank you for the update. I have a week to decide if I am going to keep my MK73S or return it. This, along with a few other issues, is leading towards returning it.

I like the fact that I have the option to configure it via a web interface, I do not want to be forced to use an app... but not responding to "basic" issues like this one does not bode well for the future.

Message 11 of 14
Snowy-Owl
Guide

Honestly if you're in the return window just send it back and try something else. I'm having all kinds of other issues with this router where it just drops out for no reason and I have to restart all 3 access points.

Message 12 of 14
c_of_c_01
Tutor

To close this out, I backed off to the V1.0.2.26_2.0.53 firmware, and DLNA and UPnP services are back on my network.

Amazing that after the *next* firmware release (which is the latest) after the release in which the problem occurred, it has not been fixed.

Preparing to return this stuff as I type this.

Message 13 of 14
Snowy-Owl
Guide

I sent another support email weeks ago and still no response from Netgear.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series