× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MK73 How do I set 5 GHz band to 80MHz wide channels?

Snowy-Owl
Guide

MK73 How do I set 5 GHz band to 80MHz wide channels?

I'm trying to set my MK73 to use 80 MHz channels but there is no option anywhere? The trouble I'm having is in Canada we only have one 160 MHz allocation [36 - 64] however [52-64] is DFS. My MK73 catches the DFS event and moves to channel 161 and switches to 80 MHz of bandwidth. I'd like to set this manually so it doesn't move around on it's own.

Despite setting channel 36, after a few hours it shows this on the advanced page:

5G Channel161
5G ModeUp to 1200 Mbps

Clicking through to the "Wireless Settings" page there is no option to set the mode to 1200 Mbps, in fact there is no drop down anywhere to set this, so it must be hardcoded to 2400 Mbps somewhere. Because of this, the channel dropdown shows channels 36 through 128. That being said in Canada it's not permitted to transmit on 120 - 124 - 128 so there is some work that needs to be done here to rectify this. If we could enable 80 MHz channels I could stay on [36 - 48] or [149 - 161] without any DFS issues. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/n/ac/ax) 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortuneatly you can't on this model MK. Channel width is all handled by the system. Based on channel and what connecting devices are design and have support for, between the system and device and signal quality, the channel width will be set. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The higher channels are not user selectable on this model system. Possible maybe due to wireless backhaul use by the system an the MS satellites. So 36 thru 48 would be recommended. I use channel 40 here.

Message 2 of 4
Snowy-Owl
Guide

Ok, that's fine. Is there a way to select 1200 Mbps / 80 MHz channels then? As it stands I can only use the lower 160 MHz channel until a DFS event and it auto switches to 161.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortuneatly you can't on this model MK. Channel width is all handled by the system. Based on channel and what connecting devices are design and have support for, between the system and device and signal quality, the channel width will be set. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series