Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK73S Wired Backend in AP mode

Satoru
Aspirant

MK73S Wired Backend in AP mode

I recently got the MK73S mesh system and its so far ok. However due to the way my home works I prefer to put the router in the middle of my home while having the satellites in the floors above it and below it. As such I've set up the router in AP wireless mode rather than being a router. 

This setup works fine if the satellites connect via wireless

However I'd like one of my satellites to connect via wired if possible. However when I try to connect it to a switch, the light goes amber and the router can't see the satellite anymore. Ironically the satellite is still visible on the network, I can browse to it vai the wireless IP for some reason and see connected devices which primarily is just everything else on the LAN. But it doesnt seem to connect to the mesh this way

Another thing I noticed is that on the router if I use the 'router' ethernet plug it works fine but if i try to use teh 'ethernet' plug it doesn't seem to find any of the satellites.

I'm not sure if the wired backend works if its in AP mode maybe? I'd liek the network to be flat also for WoL purposes which is why I prefer using AP mode

Message 1 of 6

Re: MK73S Wired Backend in AP mode

What firmware version do you have on the devices?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what modem and routers sit in front of this MK73.

@Satoru wrote:

However due to the way my home works I prefer to put the router in the middle of my home while having the satellites in the floors above it and below it. As such I've set up the router in AP wireless mode rather than being a router. 

Not sure where the "As such" comes from, you can use the MS70 satellites in that layout with the MR70 as a router. Indeed, that "star layout is the usual configuration.

Perhaps you have other reasons for not using the MR70 as a router, but that arrangement is not required, and may actually cause problems.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

However I'd like one of my satellites to connect via wired if possible.

That too is standard behaviour. People do it all the time. But you need to connect the satellite to the router. It isn't easy to work out what you have done.

Did you find this?

What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Nighthawk Mesh products? | Answer | NETGEAR S...

However when I try to connect it to a switch, the light goes amber and the router can't see the satellite anymore. Ironically the satellite is still visible on the network, I can browse to it vai the wireless IP for some reason and see connected devices which primarily is just everything else on the LAN. But it doesnt seem to connect to the mesh this way

If you are connecting the satellite through the switch, then your router, and not the MR70 is handling the traffic.

This is puzzling:

Another thing I noticed is that on the router if I use the 'router' ethernet plug it works fine but if i try to use teh 'ethernet' plug it doesn't seem to find any of the satellites.

The ports on the router are Internet and Ethernet.

Message 2 of 6
Satoru
Aspirant

The Router in front of everything that is acting as the actual router is an RAX45 Firmware Version V1.0.12.120_2.0.83

The Mesh router in AP mode is MR70 on V1.0.3.32_2.0.57

The 2 satellites are an MS70 on V1.0.3.32_2.0.57

The other reason I want the Mesh not acting as a router is I have various devices I want to be able to use WoL with so I need them all to be on the same subnet to do so.

As for how my home works its pretty standard networking. I've got most of my home wired to the basement via CAT6. I've got a switch in the basement where my ISP connection comes in, which then feeds all the active ports in the home. i've got a switch in the living room to hard wire all the devices there to the basement. Its a fairly basic

RAX45 Router->switch(basement) -> switch(livingroom)-> MR70 in AP mode

|-> switch (upstairs) -> MS70 satellite

Sorry I messed up that last part but I mean the "Internet" port seems to work but not the "Ethernet" port on the MR70

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model Switches are you using? 
What CAT# LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

Message 4 of 6
Satoru
Aspirant

Its all CAT6

They're just generic TPLink unmanaged switches all fairly generic

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try, have the MR in AP mode connected to the host router using the WAN port on the MR. Then bring the MS to same room as the MR and one at a time, connect the MS wirelessly first to the MR, after BLUE appear, connect the 1st MS to the LAN port in back of the MR using a CAT6 LAN cable, not switch, and see if the MS will eventually turn BLUE again. Try this for each one. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7