× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK83 Backwards compatibility

djpaoli
Guide

MK83 Backwards compatibility

I have the MK63 system and would like to switch to the MK83 system and use the two MS60 satellites from the MK63 system in my new configuration MK83. My question is if they are compatible with the MK83 system or not. Will I have a problem setting them up?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: MK83 Backwards compatibility

Not sure. 

Maybe @Christian_R knows. 

Message 2 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello djpaoli,

We have an article for more info regarding this. I've linked it below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000063029/Which-Nighthawk-Mesh-products-are-compatible-with-the-Nighthawk-Tri...

Christian 

Message 3 of 11
djpaoli
Guide

Thanks for reply.
I bought the MK83 system and configured the two MS60 satellites from my previous system to work with the new one but they are disconnected from and connected all the time, not getting a stable connection.
All devices are updated with firmware V1.1.4.6.
I'm about to give up and switch to another system.
Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

Do the stock satellites that came with the system work fine? 

How far from the router are the MS60 satellites? 

What materials is the home made from?

Message 5 of 11
djpaoli
Guide

Thanks for reply.
The satellites (MS80) that came with the system do not disconnect as often but they also lose connection from time to time. They are installed in exactly the same position as the previous system (MR60 + 2x MS60).
The maximum distance between them is 60 feet and the house is made of masonry (brick and concrete).
I've tried resetting all to factory mode and making a new configuration but the problem persists.
What I also notice is that devices in a room with a satellite end up being connected to satellites in other rooms and not the room you are in.
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

@djpaoli wrote:

The maximum distance between them is 60 feet and the house is made of masonry (brick and concrete).

Ouch. Brick and concrete are 2 of the best blockers of wifi there is (besides metal). The benefit to the mesh systems (especially triband) is the dedicated wireless backhaul. But if the home is made from materials that block wifi, its going to be a sketchy backhaul and have issues.

Many people with home like yours have made it work. But they usually either have the devices closer together or resort to using a wired backhaul. 

You could do a wired backhaul with ethernet, using powerline devices, or using moca adapters (ethernet over coax). 

The masonry walls are going to make any mesh system struggle. Whether it be netgear/asus/tplink/etc. 

I'd try to find a way to hardwire in your satellites. 

Message 7 of 11
djpaoli
Guide

Thanks for reply.
I had converted measurements (meters to feet) wrong. The maximum distance between them is 30 feet (10 meters).
My house is not big but, here in Brazil, most of it is made of masonry.
I thought that buying a new system with a router and two satellites and using the 2 satellites of the old system would achieve what I would like.
I bought this system because I didn't like to do ethernet cabling. I have kept some TPlink adapters that repeat the signal for electricity but I would not like to use them either.
What about devices in one room that have satellite and are connecting to satellites in other rooms and not the satellite in the room it's in? Any suggestion? Can I force a device to connect to a specific satellite?
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

connecting router----->sat----->Sat is called daisy chaining. 

Its only recommended to do 2 satellites because every hop increased latency and chance for errors. 

The masonry are going to increase the likelyhood of that. 

So again, you're caught between rock<------>hard place

There isn't an easy/simple approach when you have a home like this. 

Wireless AX (wifi 6) didn't increase the wireless broadcast power so it won't penetrate any better than AC. 

Because it is a bit more efficient,  you do see better speeds at distance but again, you're trying to penetrate masonry. 

I don't have a good answer for you. 

Message 9 of 11
djpaoli
Guide

I'll evaluate ethernet cabling between them in the future.

Is it possible to use my router (MR60) from the old system as a satellite from the new system (MK83)?
Message 10 of 11
djpaoli
Guide

Even though the MR60 satellites are in the same room as the MR80 router or another MS80 satellite, they keep losing connection all the time. I don't think it's a range issue.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7