Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: [MK83] Customized Wifi Question/Issue

Silly_PuTTY
Guide

[MK83] Customized Wifi Question/Issue

The latest firmware allows for advanced customization of the SSID. You can now split 2.4 and 5GHz into their own SSID.

The problem I have is that originally I setup "WIFI" as the SSID. Now I want "WIFI" and "WIFI50". The customize portion won't let me enter "WIFI" for the 2.4GHz, it says it's already in use. So I just left that unchecked and created "WIFI50".

Now however, instead of just 1 SSID for 2.4GHz and 1 SSID for 5GHz, I have "WIFI" broadcasting 2.4 and 5GHz still, as well as "WIFI50" which is another 5GHz network.

It seems like the Customize WiFi doesn't let you disable the initial WiFI SSID you created. I can also check the 2.4GHz box in the customize WiFi screen and create yet another 2.4GHz SSID (e.g. WIFI24) for a total of (2) 2.4GHz and (2) 5GHz SSIDs.

Confusing 🙂

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Silly_PuTTY
Guide

Answering my own question/string of text for anyone curious about how this works.

1) You can't disable the default SSID you setup. Not even disabling just the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio by itself.

2) You can't split the default SSID into a 2.4GHz and 5GHz network.

3) The customize SSID creates a new SSID for that specific band only. This feels like a workaround to just being able to temporarily disable a 5GHz radio, for example, for a picky IoT device that works on 2.4GHz only.

So for example I have a Wyze Robot Vacuum. It wouldn't setup at all unless my phone was on 2.4GHz even though it created an ad-hoc network for me to connect and manually provide my WiFi credentails. Yes, this is a Wyze/Xioami software issue. The easy fix, however, would be for me to be able to disable the 5GHz radio, even for 5 minutes, to complete the setup. Instead, I either needed a non-5GHz device or my option -- create a new 2.4GHz SSID and have the Vac connect to that. So now I have an SSID that 1 device connects to. At least I can "hide" it from being broadcast.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Silly_PuTTY
Guide

Answering my own question/string of text for anyone curious about how this works.

1) You can't disable the default SSID you setup. Not even disabling just the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio by itself.

2) You can't split the default SSID into a 2.4GHz and 5GHz network.

3) The customize SSID creates a new SSID for that specific band only. This feels like a workaround to just being able to temporarily disable a 5GHz radio, for example, for a picky IoT device that works on 2.4GHz only.

So for example I have a Wyze Robot Vacuum. It wouldn't setup at all unless my phone was on 2.4GHz even though it created an ad-hoc network for me to connect and manually provide my WiFi credentails. Yes, this is a Wyze/Xioami software issue. The easy fix, however, would be for me to be able to disable the 5GHz radio, even for 5 minutes, to complete the setup. Instead, I either needed a non-5GHz device or my option -- create a new 2.4GHz SSID and have the Vac connect to that. So now I have an SSID that 1 device connects to. At least I can "hide" it from being broadcast.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7