Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK83 firmware updates

joggy64
Tutor

MK83 firmware updates

Hi - my MK83 router and satellites have been running on firmware version 1.1.4.6 since I originally setup this mesh network back in May. I check for updates monthly via the web interface(ADVANCED>Administration>RouterUpdate>OnlineUpdate), but none have never been offered. That's not my issue though.

I woke this morning and noticed my router rebooted overnight and when I logged into it I noticed that the router and satellites are now on the latest firmware, 1.1.6.6.

Is there a process in place that auto updates the firmware for this system and if so is there a setting to turn this off? I'd rather not have new firmware installed automatically.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MK83 firmware updates

If you don't see any web page option to opt out or disable auto FW upates, then NG maybe running the MK series like Orbi systems where the system auto updates when NG chooses to release new FW. Something users don't have any control over. Been like this for a while and NG doesn't seem to change it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I don't have that system and not many that help on here do. (so can't check one of my own devices)

I know on the orbi's you can't disable auto-updates anymore but I'm not sure about the mk system. 

maybe @ChristineT or @DarrenM know more. 

Message 2 of 6
joggy64
Tutor

Thanks pleamans. I'll see if Christine or Darren chime in.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you don't see any web page option to opt out or disable auto FW upates, then NG maybe running the MK series like Orbi systems where the system auto updates when NG chooses to release new FW. Something users don't have any control over. Been like this for a while and NG doesn't seem to change it. 

Message 4 of 6
joggy64
Tutor

Yeah I definitely didn't see an option to control that. I understand why they would want to auto update these devices, but it's unfortunate users can't opt out/turn off that functionality.

Knowing that the Orbi software functions this way and with Netgear devices likely configured to do the same, I feel better that this isn't just some random one off that happened to my devices.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements