Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK83 – satellite drops internet for all clients, but internet status = good

notabot
Aspirant

MK83 – satellite drops internet for all clients, but internet status = good

Vexing problem and would love help – here's the rundown:

• Brand new MK83 mesh system
  • Clients on satellite get strong internet speed test results (when it works) – ~80 - 110 Mbps
  • Clients on satellite suddenly lose all internet access simultaneously:
    • Randomly, intermittently, ~1-8 mins outage, can happen multiple times an hour or once every few hours
    • However, clients do maintain a strong wifi connection to the RS80 satellite
  • Clients on satellite can still connect to RB80 router admin interface (via satellite wifi) where it shows internet status as 'Good'

Troubleshooting

• I have verified:
    • The clients are not connected to (or trying to connect to) the router
    • The clients do all lose internet at the exact same time
    • The clients can connect to 192.168.1.1 (via the satellite wifi) and see internet status 'Good'
  • Have not tried (but will try):
    • Swapping a different satellite into my work area
    • Confirming that the internet is actually working for a device connected directly to the router (during an outage)

Can anyone recommend any other steps or think of what might be happening here?

This is super frustrating and doesn't seem to happen with any rhyme or reason Smiley Frustrated

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 5
notabot
Aspirant

Re: MK83 – satellite drops internet for all clients, but internet status = good

Just realized I got the model of the router/satellites wrong. They should be:

Router: MR80

Satellites: MS80

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 3 of 5
notabot
Aspirant

Thanks for the help FURRYe38.

I monitored the internet uptime using a simple chrome extension on both satellites and saw that the time of short outages seemed to be synced up. So then I monitored the wifi router and a sattelite and that also had outages happening at roughly the same time. To rule out a bad modem, I picked up a new CM1100 at Costco yesterday.

I have still seen small outages on the wifi network, based on the connection monitor log, but I haven't been able to monitor the modem to see if that is also getting the same dropped connections. 

At the end of the day, it seems like the mesh network might not be the issue. However, it's still odd to have the wifi router report that the internet connection status is good when there is no working internet.

Thanks again for your help with troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let give feedback to the questions presented so we can better get an idea of your configuration.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7