Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR/MS80 Mesh, satellite throughput tanked

basicfacekick
Aspirant

MR/MS80 Mesh, satellite throughput tanked

Woke up to a strange issue today.

I have my ISP modem connected to my Nighthawk Router. I have one Satellite in the office with two desktop PCs hard-wired to it. I have the second Satellite upstairs. I'm often on a laptop near the Router. We have about 25 devices on the network at a given moment, most are your usual smart home devices like a Ring camera, Roomba, Roku, etc.

Today the office Satellite throughput was abysmal. A speedtest on the PCs there was getting like 5 Mbps down and barely that up. Normally this is in the range of 300+ Mbps.

I restarted the Satellite in the office with no change.

If I put a desktop PC there on wifi (it has an integrated card), connecting to that same Satellite, because it was nearest, it would still only pull about 5 Mbps up/down.

The minute I cut off that satellite completely by powering it off, that PC on wifi would connect to the next-nearest and likely the Router, I'd get 300+ Mbps again.

So, something was up with that Satellite that a restart of it wouldn't resolve. Or two restarts. That includes an actual hard power-off/power-on.

The only thing that resolved it was restarting the entire network from the Router.

Tell me this isn't normal? I had a throughput issue on this same Satellite a few days back but a restart of it alone resolved that. I really don't want to be rebooting my network or even a satellite every few days or weekly. I rarely had to do that on the old Orbi I replaced.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR/MS80 Mesh, satellite throughput tanked

What does tanked or abysmal mean? 

What speeds had you seen before? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router and satellites been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router/ satellites and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router then satellites and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 5
basicfacekick
Aspirant

I literally put in my post the speeds I was getting when it "tanked" versus normal... "tanked" is 3 Mbps when I should be seeing (and normally do see) 100 times that.

2500 sq. ft. home.

Yes, the Router and Satellites are at least 30 feet apart. The office satellite (the problematic one) and the router are probably right at 30 feet. The upstairs satellite is definitely 30 feet away from either.

Firmware is current. ver 1.1.7.12

This WAS resolved in a restart but it's becoming a recurring issue.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

do you have it setup in daisy chain or star setup? 
daisy: Router----->satellite------>satellite

Star: Satellite<------router------>satellite

did you try rebooting the whole system? (not just the satellite)

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, might try the MR and just one MS. 

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@basicfacekick wrote:

I literally put in my post the speeds I was getting when it "tanked" versus normal... "tanked" is 3 Mbps when I should be seeing (and normally do see) 100 times that.

2500 sq. ft. home.

Yes, the Router and Satellites are at least 30 feet apart. The office satellite (the problematic one) and the router are probably right at 30 feet. The upstairs satellite is definitely 30 feet away from either.

Firmware is current. ver 1.1.7.12

This WAS resolved in a restart but it's becoming a recurring issue.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7