× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60/MS60 Increasingly Losing Connections

Mojo2024
Aspirant

MR60/MS60 Increasingly Losing Connections

Apparently my last message was kicked out - will try again.

I have had this configuration for quite some time but in some update not too long ago it suddenly started becoming very unusable. This is very bad for working from home and being on video conferences with clients. This seems to be related to a firmware update in the last 6 months because everything was fine before.

Setup:

MR60 

Two MS60 satellites (one hard wired ; one wifi only)

3400 sq feet.

All V1.1.7.134

Message 1 of 6

Re: MR60/MS60 Increasingly Losing Connections

@Mojo2024 wrote:

I have had this configuration for quite some time but in some update not too long ago it suddenly started becoming very unusable.

What does unusable look like to you? What goes wrong?

This seems to be related to a firmware update in the last 6 months because everything was fine before.

When did the problem start? Six months ago?

Your firmware is more than a year old.

Have you tried reverting to earlier firmware to check that this is the cause?

Have you reset the router?

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 6
Mojo2024
Aspirant

Problem started a few months ago. A frog doesn't know when the boiling starts unfortunately but about that.

Firmware - I've received at least 2 updates in recent memory of updates to firmware which I allowed to process for MR and MS units. They may have been step updates to latest, but I would not know. Most recent is 2 weeks ago.

No reversion - I don't have time for experimentation. Not to be snarky but it needs to work like other routers I've had without problems.

Reset router many times and also replaced modem. Cable model Arris TM3402A. It has ports on back but Cox blocks them; only use the internet connection straight to the MR60.

Thank you

Message 3 of 6

@Mojo2024 wrote:

No reversion - I don't have time for experimentation. Not to be snarky but it needs to work like other routers I've had without problems.

Understandable, but no one is going to put much effort into fixing a problem when only one person gets clobbered.

When a truly horrid update lands here, then there is a pile on and Netgear gets prodded into action. I don't recall any major kerfuffle with recent updates for the MR60.

Reset router many times and also replaced modem. Cable model Arris TM3402A. It has ports on back but Cox blocks them; only use the internet connection straight to the MR60.

The trouble with that is that ISPs are famously bad at configuring their kit to accommodate third party devices.  I have just been through ISP hell (By in the UK) when I was forced to reinstall its horrid modem/router to convince it that it had a network problem and that there was no issue at my end.

You still haven't told us what actually happens at your end. "Losing connections" could mean many things. Router to the Internet? Wifi to the router? Wired to the router?

Sadly, the MR## devices don't have the old school set of LEDs to help in the diagnosis. Just that eerie blue LED.

Message 4 of 6
Mojo2024
Aspirant

<You still haven't told us what actually happens at your end. "Losing connections" could mean many things. Router to the Internet? Wifi to the router? Wired to the router?>

The net result is that I will be in a middle of a zoom call and it will drop for 30 seconds - usually come back. But everyone in the house will complain about the dropping connection. It used to be infrequent but now it's very consistent - and it affects important calls, etc.

On reading some of the content here - I think someone thought that individual satellite connections would drop - and the user's devices would automatically connect to another satellite or the main unit and then get assigned new IPs dynamically or something. Basically musical IP chairs? 

Only one hard wire to the network and I don't think there's ever been a complaint there.  The cable comes into house and is connected to the cable model - then that goes to to the MR60 with hard wire. There is a switch connected to the MR60 for some hard wire stuff (printer/comp/security) but otherwise everything is wireless.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 6

@Mojo2024 wrote:

The cable comes into house and is connected to the cable model - then that goes to to the MR60 with hard wire.

I'd still check that this modem really is in bridge (modem only) mode. You can't trust ISPs to know what they are doing.

At least you are in the latest firmware. Not that that is a guarantee of perfection.

Only one hard wire to the network and I don't think there's ever been a complaint there.  The cable comes into house and is connected to the cable model - then that goes to to the MR60 with hard wire. There is a switch connected to the MR60 for some hard wire stuff (printer/comp/security) but otherwise everything is wireless.

Wired is always the best option, even if it means using something like Powerline Ethernet. You never know what the neighbours are doing in the way of wifi. If you haven't tried it, picking a different wifi channel might be wroth trying.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series