Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 - MS60 Port Forwarding

jwp32765
Aspirant

MR60 - MS60 Port Forwarding

I have an MR60 with two MS60 satellites. Everything was working correctly and until I created custome port forwarding rule. One port, one protocol (TCP) and one destination. I applied the rule, rebooted the router for good measure and the port is not forwarding and it will not let me add/modify the rule since it is not visible. I try to add the same rule and tells me there is a conflict/duplicate and the rule cannot be created. So cannot add and cannot delete such a rule. I attempted to do something similar with port triggering with the same results (invisible rule).

I tried upgrading the firmware to the latest V1.0.3.110.20.49 and V1.0.3.112.2.0.52-hotfix with no improvement. I saw a post with firmware V1.0.6.102.2.0.45 fixed the issue but not luck either. I have also tried a factory reset and no change. Has anyone found a solution to this bug?

I am getting ready to dump Netgear for Asus or TPLink. I have run into a few of these quirks and it is pretty annoying to have to do a factory reset to try to clear things up.

Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: MR60 - MS60 Port Forwarding

Hello jwp32765, 

A factory reset should wipe the rules out. Can you confirm that you are holding down on the reset button for 15+ seconds and running through the setup assistant again?

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
knightz01
Apprentice

@jwp32765 

Hi, Have a read of the work around I found a long while back, scroll down to my post on this link Nighthawk MK62 - Port forward list empty - NETGEAR Communities

PS: This workaround works on all firmwares

Kev(knightz01)

Message 3 of 6
jwp32765
Aspirant

Thanks Kev.

I tried the work around and the rules were gone. I added one rule, still all good. I added a second one, all good. When I deleted one the rules were invisible again. I do IT work for a living and I am always adding/removing rules, testing firewalls behind my firewall, etc. My configuration is not typical. I add/remove/change settings all the time. I would have been OK if that workaround fixed this thing permanently. But the problem came back as soon as I started making changes. Tried different versions of the firmware where people had reported success. Nothing.

So I think I made a bad decision when I went with Netgear. The support I received initially was poor (setting up openVPN). Their solution is always do a factory reset and re-add your configuration. This particular problem (rules) has been around for a while from everything I have read, and there is no fix from Netgear. To me this is just poor support and I do not have time to reset the router every couple of changes when their firmware doesn't work properly. The community however has been very useful.

I am lucky enough I bought the extended warranty with the router, so I will be returning the MR60 and MS60s to get a working system. Then it goes on eBay. I used to be a fan of Netgear everything but it seems like they are not who they use to be. Time to move on.

Message 4 of 6
jwp32765
Aspirant

Thank your for the reply.

The  whole configuration was gone as expected. After making a couple of additions and changes the rules went invisble again. I frankly do not have time to be resetting the router and re-adding all my settings after every couple of changes. I appreciate the help.

Message 5 of 6
knightz01
Apprentice

@jwp32765 

Every Friday @ 8pm there is a great informative Netgear Tech show on YouTube, these guys have helped me out alot in the past and put me through straight to level 2 support and beta firmware(if available), get on early and post your questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JssDgzr0hKc

Kev (knight01)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7