Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 MS60 not working with specific SSID

ParkPerspective
Aspirant

MR60 MS60 not working with specific SSID

Nighthawk mesh network went down and have been working this problem for 2 days now.   I have unplugged, restarted, rebooted, and reset my ATT modem and Nighthawk devices.   All are current in firmware.   I am able to get the system working with the default SSID and any other SSID other than the SSID I had set up with all my smart devices.   Very odd.....any SSID - other than the one I was using work.    I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone has run into this before I just create a new SSID and reconnect my 54 smart devices.

Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you seeing when you input your custom SSID name? 

There any special characters in the name? 

How many characters is it? 

Any spaces in between? 

Can you post an example or send me a PM of what the SSID name is? 

Message 2 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

the SSID name that isn't working is:  Perspectiveonthepark  In terms of what I see, in the app, I see the SSID and the router and both satelltes have 'blue' light.   On my I phone wireless setting, I get the circle of death next to the SSID while it is trying to connect rather than the connected check mark.  On my pc I see the 'obtaining IP address' bouncing back an for with a 'saved' message.    It is acting as if this particular SSID is 'stuck' in some sort of table that conflicts with my ATT modem upon handshaking for an IP address...that won't flush when I reset, reboot or redo everything.  I have be using a process of elimination with differing SSID names such as TestPerspectiveonthepark; Parkperspective; testgear; a few others.....and they all work fine.   It is just this one Perspectiveonthepark SSID that doesn't connect.   As an aside, my att modem settings are 'out-of-the' box, but I did do a hard reset there too early on in my quest to solve the problem.

Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens is you shorten the name length? 

Perspectivepark ?

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ParkPerspective wrote:

the SSID name that isn't working is:  Perspectiveonthepark  In terms of what I see, in the app, I see the SSID and the router and both satelltes have 'blue' light.   On my I phone wireless setting, I get the circle of death next to the SSID while it is trying to connect rather than the connected check mark.  On my pc I see the 'obtaining IP address' bouncing back an for with a 'saved' message.    It is acting as if this particular SSID is 'stuck' in some sort of table that conflicts with my ATT modem upon handshaking for an IP address...that won't flush when I reset, reboot or redo everything.  I have be using a process of elimination with differing SSID names such as TestPerspectiveonthepark; Parkperspective; testgear; a few others.....and they all work fine.   It is just this one Perspectiveonthepark SSID that doesn't connect.   As an aside, my att modem settings are 'out-of-the' box, but I did do a hard reset there too early on in my quest to solve the problem.

Message 5 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Thanks for checking back in.   No progress so I just changed the ssid to another name and reconnected all 54 devices.   So I don't know what the fundamental problem is meaning it can happen again unexpectedly.    So this certainly sounds like a 'bug' in Netgear Nighthawk.   Does netgear have a bug reporting process that doesn't cost? 

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

How long have you had this system? 

I'll pass this on to NG and see wheather there is a high limit on SSID name characters. Your original has 20 and no special characters so it should work. 

Message 7 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Thanks - I purchased it in September 2020.

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

How long is the new SSID name being used now that is working? 

@ParkPerspective wrote:

Thanks for checking back in.   No progress so I just changed the ssid to another name and reconnected all 54 devices.   So I don't know what the fundamental problem is meaning it can happen again unexpectedly.    So this certainly sounds like a 'bug' in Netgear Nighthawk.   Does netgear have a bug reporting process that doesn't cost? 

Message 9 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

It's been working fine for 5 days.   

Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok...How long is the new SSID name length being used now that is working? How many characters are in this new name?

Message 11 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Parkperspective is the new SSIS - 15 characters.   It's not the name length as I ruled that out early on when I tested "Testperspectiveonthepark" as the SSID when I was attempting to diagnose the problem.   I think a SSID can by 30 or so characters.

Message 12 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

So did "Testperspectiveonthepark" work? 

Message 13 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Yep.  Testperspectiveonthepark worked.

Message 14 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for confirming. 

odd that Perspectiveonthepark doesn't work but Testperspectiveonthepark does. Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Yep……- bug
Message 16 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll pass this on to NG for review. 

Thank you for all the info. 

Message 17 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Much appreciated; look forward to NG's thinking.   What is the process therein...will they repond back to you?

Message 18 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes. 

Message 19 of 28
ALLOH1
Tutor

This happened to me the same time as this!! I STILL cannot get anything to work except the default SSID!

Message 20 of 28
ALLOH1
Tutor

My original SSID was LittleTurtle.  NOTHING else I tried, other than the default SSID worked. I tried LITTLETURTLE, LITTLETURTLE21 with no luck. I'm back with the generic SSID, with at least my personalized password. But this 'broke' early March, just as the other user.

Message 21 of 28
ParkPerspective
Aspirant

Interesting - while related, my problem seems to be the converse of yours....every SSID I tried worked, except the one I wanted: "Perspectiveonthepark".   Since posting this issue, I have simply bit the bullet and reconnected all my smart devices with another SSID.   We are hearing crickets from NETGEAR for some reason.    

Message 22 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What browser are you using to manage the MR? 

@ALLOH1 wrote:

This happened to me the same time as this!! I STILL cannot get anything to work except the default SSID!

Message 23 of 28
EternalStudent
Apprentice

I'd wonder if that was a client issue too.  Meaning is this only with one particular device it fails?  If yes, try something else that works fine too.  It might not be happy with numbers or it might treat all names as case insensitive (meaning LittleTurtle == LITTLETURTLE to it).  Or it only works with one format, like all lower or upper case letters.

Also you might try a factory reset then change the values again.  It's sad/amazing how often that seems to help things.

Message 24 of 28
ALLOH1
Tutor

I FINALLY found an article that resolved the issue.

I was able to change my SSID back to what it had been (LittleTurtle), and I had to change the 2.4 GHz channel to 06 (from Auto), and the 5 GHz to channel 48 AND IT FINALLY WORKED!

Something MUST have changed with the last firmware update, that hung up my SSID in some limbo.

I am back in business, and slowly all of my smart devices came back online. I am BACK in the 21st century again.

Message 25 of 28
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7