× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Mesh + Satellites - Ethernet devices making unecessary hop through satellite

DuckTM
Aspirant

MR60 Mesh + Satellites - Ethernet devices making unecessary hop through satellite

My network setup consists of the MR60 router (firmware V1.1.7.134), two satellites, and two 8-port unmanaged/dummy switches.

One satellite is connected while the rest of the network is connected through an unmanaged switch. This switch is connected to my PC, my father's PS4, living room TV, the second switch, and other unused ports around the house. The second switch then connects to my server pc and the second satellite. Despite being connected via Ethernet, all wired devices are routing to the second satellite and then to the router despite being an necessary jump and increasing latency. The second satellite is in a location that does not have good connection to the router or first satellite so the only practical connection is via Ethernet. If the second satellite is at all disconnected, then all wired connections fail and refuse to connect to the main router.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DuckTM
Aspirant

Re: MR60 Mesh + Satellites - Ethernet devices making unecessary hop through satellite

Powered everything on in order and no joy. After taking another look at the switch, no matter what port the router is connected to the port doesn’t light up green. Is the Ethernet port on the router somehow damaged?
Edit: Yes, I’ve tried multiple cables
Edit2: Yes, it’s the router port. It’s not even 6 months old so who knows if it’s been that way since I got the router.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies

Re: MR60 Mesh + Satellites - Ethernet devices making unecessary hop through satellite

@DuckTM wrote:

One satellite is connected while the rest of the network is connected through an unmanaged switch. This switch is connected to my PC, my father's PS4, living room TV, the second switch, and other unused ports around the house. The second switch then connects to my server pc and the second satellite.

What are the "other unused ports around the house"?

I like to think in pictures for layouts.

| Switch > | PC

|                | Satellite2

satellite1 > switch > | PC

| PS4

| TV

That's just my guess.

Where is the router in this? In front of the first satellite?

I assume that the Satellites are wired through the switches rather than using wifi.

What about the other connections? Wired? Wifi?

Despite being connected via Ethernet, all wired devices are routing to the second satellite and then to the router despite being an necessary jump and increasing latency.

Routing? The missing bit of the diagram, the router, does the "routing".

Where are you seeing that? Connected devices on the second satellite?

Another missing link, what ONT/Modem/Gateway connects the router to the Internet?

Message 2 of 13
DuckTM
Aspirant

> What are the "other unused ports around the house"?
Extra ethernet lines me and my dad routed through the house in case we would need them later.

> I like to think in pictures for layouts.

Good idea, here is my home layout

| Switch 2 | PC 2

|               | Satellite2

FiberJack > MR60 Router > Switch 1 | PC 1

\                              | TV

/ Wireless                | PS4

Satelite1                      | etc.

PC1, PC2, and Satelite 2 are in the same room. This room has two ethernet ports connecting back to SW1 which is right next to the Router. The room in question has horrible connectivity through the wall as it was built on by the previous owners and has a bathroom, closet, and basement stairs between it and the rest of the house so having a wired Satelite 2 in there is necessary for wifi.

> What about the other connections? Wired? Wifi?

That's all that's wired. Phones, etc. are over wifi.

> Where is the router in this? In front of the first satellite?

The router is in the laundry room. Right below my sister's room, right next to my parent's room, and right next to the living room and kitchen. Satelite 1 is upstairs.

Despite being connected via Ethernet, all wired devices are routing to the second satellite and then to the router despite being an Unnecessary jump and increasing latency.

I added a correction to my post in bold.

> Routing? The missing bit of the diagram, the router, does the "routing".

> Where are you seeing that? Connected devices on the second satellite?

In the nighthawk app and through the web-config, all wired devices are shown as being connected to Satelite 2 and not to the Router. (I'm repeating the post with this) When I disconnect Satelite 2, all ethernet connections drop and the router refuses to establish a connection with any device that's not connecting over WiFi (PC1, PC2, TV, etc.). When Satelite 1 is connected via ethernet, it also shows that it is connected to Satelite 1 and THEN the router (edit) despite being connected to the switch next to the router.

MR60 Router > Satelite 2 > Satelite 1

V

all ethernet devices

All wifi devices can connect and jump to the satellite/router that has the best connection

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the brand and model# of these non managed switches you have in use? 
What is the CAT# LAN cable being used? 

Message 4 of 13
DuckTM
Aspirant

> What's the brand and model# of these non managed switches you have in use? 

Netgear GS108E is Switch 1(connected directly to router) and Netgear GS108 is Switch 2(connected to switch 1)

> What is the CAT# LAN cable being used? 

Cat5e - Self-terminated, all ends double-checked as of last night.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you remove the GS108E switch from the mix. This is a semi managed switch and they have been known to cause odd problems. Why non managed switches are recommended for use if connecting satellites to the router for wired backhaul support. The GS108 is a non managed switch.

Message 6 of 13
DuckTM
Aspirant

> What happens if you remove the GS108E switch from the mix. This is a managed router and they have been known to cause odd problems.

Well, that could explain some things. I'll try that out when I get home in the next 30 minutes. I'm currently in school. Thanks for the info!

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 13
DuckTM
Aspirant

I replaced the GS108E with the GS108. My computer (tied to SW2, now in place of SW1) shows that it is connected but cannot access the internet or router http interface. The app shows that they were last connected to Sat2 but currently have no connection.
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd power OFF the ISP modem, MR, MS and switch for 30 seconds then back ON. Reboot your PC as well. 

MS shows it's connected via ethernet so should be good here. 

Message 10 of 13
DuckTM
Aspirant

Powered everything on in order and no joy. After taking another look at the switch, no matter what port the router is connected to the port doesn’t light up green. Is the Ethernet port on the router somehow damaged?
Edit: Yes, I’ve tried multiple cables
Edit2: Yes, it’s the router port. It’s not even 6 months old so who knows if it’s been that way since I got the router.
Message 11 of 13
DuckTM
Aspirant

Ignore
Message 12 of 13

A complicated network like this can get confused. And confusing.

Take it apart and add things one by one. See what happens before adding the next bit.

Eventually you should hit a brick wall when you add the component that breaks the network.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series