× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Save from bricked but with wrong firmware

PabloElugo
Aspirant

MR60 Save from bricked but with wrong firmware

I recently bought a used pair of MR60/MS60 but the MR60 was bricked. During the TFTP rescue, I uploaded the wrong file ( MS60 firmware ), after that now boots as a satellite and I try to upload the MR60 firmware using the web interface won't accept the file because of the wrong firmware alert. Any way that I can save it? can I force a bricked mode?

Message 1 of 3
bryce_june
Guide

Re: MR60 Save from bricked but with wrong firmware

Hi Pablo,

Hope so you're fine these days, you can try performing a firmware recovery using the TFTP method. Follow these steps:

1. Download the correct firmware for the MR60 model from the official Netgear support website.

2. Connect your computer directly to the MR60 via Ethernet cable.

3. Configure your computer's network settings to use a static IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.10) and subnet mask (e.g., 255.255.255.0).

4. Disable any firewall or antivirus software on your computer temporarily.

5. Power off the MR60 and disconnect all other devices from it.

6. Open a TFTP client software on your computer and set the server IP address to 192.168.1.1 (MR60's default IP address).

7. Rename the MR60 firmware file to "mr60.img" for simplicity.

8. Start the TFTP transfer and ensure it successfully completes.

9. Power on the MR60 and wait for the firmware recovery process to finish. This may take a few minutes.

10. Once the process completes, try accessing the MR60's web interface again and upload the correct firmware for the MR60 model.

Hope so this will help you!

Regards,

Bryce June

Message 2 of 3
PabloElugo
Aspirant

Re: MR60 Save from bricked but with wrong firmware

Hi Bryce,

Thank you for your assistance in this situation. I try it but this what happens: 

• I set up the file transfer on the TFTP app with the equipment turned off
  • I plug in the power and the light starts to flash in white
  • nothing happened on the TFTP app 
  • after approx 15 seconds the white flashing light switched to a steady reddish light

What I notice is that when I put a ping 192.168.1.1 -t  after a few seconds that I plug in the password the IP starts to reply back. After 14 replies I start to get time outs and then "Reply from 192.168.1.250: Destination host unreachable.". I change the ping to that IP and reply back without issues. I put the IP on my web browser and get access to the device settings but as an MS60.

I try to rename the file but the portal rejects the upload with the following message: "
This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I even try to edit the file with Notepad (LOL) and change where it said MR60 to MS60 and the portal crashed when I upload it.

I guess the only way will be I bricked back but on purpose or get a firmware that I can trick the portal. But I don't know if that is possible.

But again thanks,

Best,
Pablo
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7