Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 Slow WIFI

kane808
Follower

MR60 Slow WIFI

OK, I have been having some speed trouble with my Surface Pro 7 that I do 99% of all my work on. I ran a quick google speed test and discovered I'm only getting 80mbps up and down.

The Setup.

I have a Netgear MR60 router connected to a Frontier modem with ONT for fiber 1G internet connection. The Nighthawk app indicates the WAN speed is 940mbps down and 630mbps up.

I have 2 MS60 satellites wired thought a Netgear gigabit switch and have the router on the north end of the house and a satellite on the south end and another upstairs in the center of the house.

I initially thought I had WIFI congestion as there are some 70 devices connected over 2.4G and 5.8G networks. So I pulled out an old R7000 router and set it up as an access point and moved any device that was part of my home automation that didn't require a lot of bandwidth to the R7000 AP. I also used WIFI analyzer to check WIFI channels in the area and while the is some I changed the channels of both the 2.4G and the 5.8G networks on both the MR60 and the R7000 to clear channels.

The crux of the issue.

When I connect my Surface Pro 7 to the MR60 wifi and run a google speed test, I get the same speed as I did before, about 80mbps up and down. But when I connect to my R7000 (that I'm using as an AP and now has about 40 devices connected to it) I get near 600mbps up and down.

Same results with different devices on the WIFI.

What gives?

Upvote

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 Slow WIFI

What speeds do you see with both wired and wireless devices connected to the MR with the MS turned OFF? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the brand and model# of the LAN switch between the MR and MS? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the MR, Switch and MS. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7