× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 attached device faster than router!!!!

Tots2000
Aspirant

MR60 attached device faster than router!!!!

Hi

Strange one here.

So I have a PC connected to the router at 950Mbps but my router is showing around 500Mbps??????

If I connect wifi 6 then that device is around 400Mbps which indicates it is working from the router speed.

How is my PC getting the correct speed although the router is only showing 50% of what my fibre modem is dishing out?

Please help as it is frying my brain.

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Tots2000,

Can you tell us a little more about what you're using or how you're viewing your speeds. 

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 2 of 9
Tots2000
Aspirant

I have the MR60 connected to Gb modem and a PC connected to the MR60 gets approx 950Mbps. When I speedtest using router speedtest it is approx 400 Mbps?!
Netgear support suggested I exchange the router which I did today and it is still the same!
Surely for a device to get double the router then it must be a hardware fault?
Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Tots2000 wrote:
I have the MR60 connected to Gb modem and a PC connected to the MR60 gets approx 950Mbps.

So be happy - what else does count?

@Tots2000 wrote:
When I speedtest using router speedtest it is approx 400 Mbps?!

Why ever the built-in speed test does not perform, or did not perform at the time of test. ...

Message 4 of 9
Tots2000
Aspirant

My wifi 6 devices are only getting around 350 Mbps and the router always tests at around 400-450 Mbps.  So the wifi seems to be linked to the router thinking it is slower than it actually is?!

There are not too many settings to mess with on this router but I am convinced there is a fault with them as I have tried two routers.

Can anyone else confirm that they have one of these routers that speed tests correctly on a Gb connection?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

What kind of Wi-Fi 6 clients are we facing here? Basic 1x1, 2x2, ....?

Message 6 of 9
Tots2000
Aspirant

Two in particular are a Samsung S20 Ultra which I believe is 4x4 and an Acer Spin 5 SP513-54N 2x2.

If I am getting 900+ on a wired PC then I would expect better results on these two wireless devices.  I have tried all the channels etc but the router speed test is niggling me.  I am convinced that the wifi speed relates to this incorrect router speed test.

Netgear support agreed and tried to help but then said I should return the faulty unit.  Hey presto my new unit does the same!  

If I plug my PC into the fibre modem I get full speed.

I have factory reset, turned QOS and TM on and off, changed channels, power cycled modem and router plus loads of other tweeks and tricks from forums.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Tots2000 wrote:

If I am getting 900+ on a wired PC then I would expect better results on these two wireless devices.

The Nighthawk Mesh router is an AX1800 system, this translates to AX1200+600, the max PHY link rate would be at 80 MHz 1200 Mbit/s - this will be shared for the wireless backhaul and the front haul. Max. that can work must be 2x2 (because of the AX1200) ... so agree, I would like to see a little bit more throughput (permitting the system and Internet connection is more or less idle.

Message 8 of 9
Tots2000
Aspirant

A couple of other things to mention.

I have disconnected the satellites and changed the SSID so that only my S20 was connected and speeds were the same.

I had my PC plugged into a satellite in an upstairs room and I got approx 450 the same as my S20 next to the router downstairs.  This suggests to me that the speed is being limited somehow.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series