Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60

BLZ6353
Aspirant

MR60

I have purchased a MK6W system with one MR60 and two MS60 satellites in June 2022 and set up in a large, 3 level, vacation home. Purchased a second system December 2022 and connected the two additional satellites only. The router is definitely upgraded to the latest firmware, version 1.1.7.134, as viewed via remote access. However, cannot view the satellites firmware remotely. I lose some satellites and WiFi devices as well whenever there is a power outage and a remote reboot of the router doesn’t fully restore the set-up. While I’m at the vacation home, everything checks out okay. I will double-check that all the satellites are upgraded to the latest firmware next time I’m at the location. Barring a factory reset of the router (or using the other MR60), any other possible fixes that I’m missing?  Kind of need the system to be stable when no one is there and reboot/reconnect after power outages. 

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60

I would move the farther MS closer. 60' could be a bit too far if the MS are dropping off here and there. Need to stabilize them. 

Try using channels 1 and 40 or 11 and 48. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

How many MS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 19
plemans
Guru

Got teamviewer on any of the computers there?

You could remote into one of them and use the GUI at that location. Sometimes the gui displays things the app doesn't. 

And you could potentially log into the satellites ip address and remote update them that way. 

Message 3 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

No, unfortunately don’t have any computers connected being a vacation house. Will bring a laptop with me and log into the routers and satellites next time I’m there to double-check the firmware. 

Message 4 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

The approximate size of the house is 5,00 sq. ft. Three levels, built on hillside. Neighbors are not close  (> 100 yards) and weak WiFi signals at best if I recall. Satellites, 4 in total,  are placed farther than 30 feet apart and none are in line of sight of each other nor in same room(s). The channel is probably auto if that’s the default during set-up. Using a TP-Link DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, TC-7610-E, with a Xfinity as the internet provider. 

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is that 5,000sq ft? 

Message 6 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

Yes, 5,000 square feet. Left out a zero first time.  

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 8 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

No, not yet.  Won’t return to vacation home/router until another couple of weeks. Will try to implement the DoS/Port Scan and removal of 2 of the four satellites as solutions. 

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

Finally got around to a brief visit at the vacation home with the issues. As luck would have it, all the dropped devices had reconnected with the router and satellites just before I was able to visit. The router and satellites were all working with various devices connected to each unit. However, as per suggestion, I removed 2 of the satellites (just installed WiFi plugs and turned off the power to 2 of the satellites so I can possibly use only while I’m there). When I tried  the  solution of “Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection” devices immediately began disconnecting from the network. Reverted the setting (unchecked the box) and items reconnected. I will have to wait for time to pass and also  after power outage(s) to see if the reduction in the number of satellites resolves the problem of dropped devices.  So far, after 3 days, only one device dropped off network with the 2 satellites even though it was closest to the router than any satellite. 

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

Now at 3 weeks from reducing satellites down to only 2. However, devices continue to disconnect over time. Now at 7 devices in total vs. only one after 3 days.  In the Nighthawk app, some of the 7 are showing as still connected while some are not. I can reboot the router via Anywhere Access but am cautious as it may reboot with fewer security cameras connected and operating than before the reboot.  Any other suggestions to resolve the slow dropping of devices?  Next visit, I will probably install WiFi power switches on the 2 satellites that had remained powered up and connected so I perhaps could reboot individual satellites in addition to the MR60 router.  

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

What channels are you using?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? And what channels are they using? 

Message 14 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

Distance between router and satellites is 40 - 60’. Will have to check on the channels being utilized 

during next visit; should have been whatever default channels are from a typical set-up (auto?). Neighbors are at least 100 yards away. Will have to perform a scan as to what channels they are using but neighbors were showing up as weak WiFi signal(s). 

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the farther MS closer. 60' could be a bit too far if the MS are dropping off here and there. Need to stabilize them. 

Try using channels 1 and 40 or 11 and 48. 

Message 16 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

3 level house. Router is placed on mid-level side where cable enters house. The 2 satellites are placed on the top level, different rooms, spaced 30 - 40’ apart. The closest satellite to router is 30 - 40’. Some of the devices disconnected are perhaps in the range where they are close to equidistant from the 2 satellites. However, a couple of devices disconnected are in the same mid-level room as the router and these disconnected earlier than the others on the top level. 

Message 17 of 19
BLZ6353
Aspirant

Finally got back to the house and router. The channels were at auto and 163. Changed to channels 6 and 48 and this appears to have immediately resolved the devices disconnecting problems. After 3 days away from location, everything is still connected and working. 

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7