Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR80 and 4 satellites

sjkoretz
Aspirant

MR80 and 4 satellites

I setup a MR80 latest firmware  with 2 satellites. Using Windows and IOS.

I needed to add another satellite which I just purchased. The new satellite has a different SSID and username password.  It did connect and it works BUT it's a bit wonky. iPads connected to it seems to always want to connect to the MR80 and the original satellites even though they are really at the edge of range which is why I got the additional satellite to begin with. Is there something I'm supposed to do with the new one that I didn't do right?. I can't seem to find anything in the documentation or on this forum.  Thanks

Steve

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: MR80 and 4 satellites

Its up to the devices themselves (phone/tablet/computer) to decide which satellite or router to connect to based off their own roaming protocols. The satellites/router don't actually control that. 

What you can do on your end is make sure the router/satellites are at least 30 ft apart. 

That'll help with roaming. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Before connecting the new satellite, do a Factory Reset on it. i.e. hold a tiny object such as the end of a paperclip or a SIM card ejector in that tiny hold next to the power switch labeled "Reset" until the power LED turns amber and begins to flash. When connected to the primary system, it should broadcast the primary WiFi name and use the primary WiFi password. (and other networks if you have them, such as Guest, IoT, Employee, etc.)

Message 3 of 4
sjkoretz
Aspirant

Thank You, I can't try until tomorrow, I'll let you know how it works out.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7