× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR80 no wifi connection

Bryvsspy
Aspirant

MR80 no wifi connection

Hello,

I purchased a MR80 + 2 satellites in July of 2021. Since then, I've had the unit replaced 2 times and my 3 unit stop working this past weekend. The units simply stopped allowing me to connect to the wifi, even though the signal was good and was SSID was visible. The cause of these problems is when the unit loses power. As soon as I get a power outage, on reboot the unit simply stops allowing me to connect. Initially I had the unit plugged into a surge protector but since purchased a UPS unit to prevent power loss to the unit and my ISP modem. Unfortunately on this last power outage the battery ran out.

The last unit that was sent to me was in January 2023, which I had to pay for shipping, and is not useless. I spoke to customer support and Umama was kind enough to send me the instructions. I hard reset the MR80 several times and never was I able to reconnect to the wifi. I've tried different outlets, rebooted my modem, nothing ever works. I can't even log into the router when hardwired into it. 

When I plug my old ISP supplied router, eveything works, no issues with the service. 

I feel this level of unreliability is unacceptable for a company such as Netgear. This unit cost me about 500$ CAD and for such limited lifespan I feel this is unacceptable.

I'm well aware my warranty is over but considering the numerous failures I've experienced I'm hoping that a goodwill gesture on Netgear's behalf will be considered. 

My case numbers are:

Please let me know if you are willing to help. 

Regards, 

Bryan 

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR80 no wifi connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR 📡 and MS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡 ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the MS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

FYI, Case numbers are not handled here in the forums. Only troubleshooting and user to user help here. 

Any official NG support needs, you'll need to contact NG support thru those case numbers. 

Message 2 of 10

@Bryvsspy wrote:

The cause of these problems is when the unit loses power. As soon as I get a power outage, on reboot the unit simply stops allowing me to connect. Initially I had the unit plugged into a surge protector but since purchased a UPS unit to prevent power loss to the unit and my ISP modem. Unfortunately on this last power outage the battery ran out.

The problem with networks is that they consist of a bunch of boxes that have to talk to one another when they start up. This all has to happen in the right order.

A satellite can get confused if it tries to connect to a router that is still looking for a network connection.

It all begins with the modem that connects your MR80 to the Internet. If this has a problem connecting, then you can see a domino chain of "dead" devices.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Give this a whirl the next time it happens. Or, if you are brave, try it as an experiment when you are around and can see what happens.

I hard reset the MR80 several times and never was I able to reconnect to the wifi. I've tried different outlets, rebooted my modem, nothing ever works. I can't even log into the router when hardwired into it. 

You should not need to reset the router. If anything that can exacerbate the problem. It wipes out your settings and you'll have to set it up again from scratch. It can also confuse the satellites as they try to connect to the router.

One thing to do to lessen the burden on that front is to save the router's settings so that you can restore them if things go wrong on future.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 3 of 10
Bryvsspy
Aspirant

Firmware: v1.1.7.12

Hardware: MR80

Serial# 6G12167MA04F9

Modem Technicolor TC4400

ISP: Videotron 400 hybride (Cable)

New cables

As I mentioned, with alternative router equipment (ISP supplied and a TP-LINK)  and everything works fine, good speed test: Down ~440 / UP: ~55

When I connect the MR80, the indicator light goes blue, I just can't connect to the wifi. It's there, I see the SSID but none of my devices (2 different iPhone 13's / iPad Pro, Macbook, Android NVIDIA Shield/ Google Chromecast, etc.) I've factory reset the devices several times (1 minute reset + power cycle), same story. 

The last time the unit was changed, see previous case #'s I spent 2 - 3 hours attempting all the resets with customer support to no avail. 

I really expected more from a NG product, especially at that price range. 

Please let me know what NG can do to correct the situation. 

Message 4 of 10
Bryvsspy
Aspirant

Please supply a email address for complaints/ customer satisfaction, as your website link for email support does not load (Error 404). 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So do wired connections works thru the MR? 

So after the factory reset, and if you don't change the SSID name and leave it default along with maybe changing the wifi password to something like Password123, nothing will connect here? 

Using WPA2 and AES only right on the MR? 

What happens if you change this setting to NONE temporarily. Do any devices connect at all?

Re-enabled after testing this.

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

You'll need to contact NG support for additional help on this thru your support cases. 

Message 6 of 10
Bryvsspy
Aspirant

After a factory reset, initial default SSID and password, cannot connect to wifi. Hardwired, cannot connect to router 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1 / routerlogin.net, nothing connects. 

I can't change to password as I cannot connect to the router. 

WPA2 default. 

Can you please supply customer complaint email address please. I am not willing to pay for support at this stage. As I mentioned I've already changed to the equipment twice, assumed shipping, purchased a UPS to prevent outages from affecting the equipment, I've spent enough on this router that should definitely be able to manage a power cycle without completely failing. 

please supply customer complaint email address.

Thank you, 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact NG thru your support cases. 

Message 8 of 10
Bryvsspy
Aspirant

My case is closed, please provide a customer complaint email as your website link is not functional. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7