Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MS80 not reconnecting to MR80

THEbarbarian87
Aspirant

MS80 not reconnecting to MR80

This is a Tr i-Band 3 device system.
MR80 is the router.
2 MS80 satellites.

This was all setup and working. Then about after 10days the satellites stopped connecting to the router.
If i hard wired a router and reset it connects.
But off of the hard wire it will not connect to the router.
Reset and sync have zero effect on the satellites connecting to the router.
Message 1 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

Can you confirm that you're performing a full factory reset on your system? You will need to hold down on the reset button for 15+ seconds. After doing so, you may run through the setup assistant again using the Nighthawk app.

Christian 

Message 2 of 12
THEbarbarian87
Aspirant

Yes i did a factory reset and setup.
Was on firnware 1.1.4 doing the router update even when hard wired would not pull 1.1.5
I had to manually download and update both satellites and the router.

Had to hard wire this junk.
Message 3 of 12
jspiers667x
Aspirant

I woke up this morning to the same problem. It was up and running a bit longer than 10 days, but not by much. I haven't attempted a factory reset of the system yet.

Firmware: V1.1.6.6_3.1.93 (Updated a couple days ago)

Message 4 of 12
jspiers667x
Aspirant

I reset the one of Satellites first with the reset button. That didn't resolve the issue with this satellite. I rebooted the router via the Web console. After doing that, the other Satellite connected and I was able to get the first Satellite resynced via the app. A couple of weeks in to this upgrade from an Orbi system that died after a solid 4 years of service. If this is going to be a constant struggle, it'll probably be time to change back to Linksys.

Message 5 of 12
THEbarbarian87
Aspirant

I've had to run ethernet backbone connections.

I updated the firmware the wifi backbone is so trash that I get less headaches with a hard wired backbone
Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried re-loading FW using a wired PC and web browser to the MR and MS units, then after that factory reset the units. Turn them OFF for 5 miniutes then back ON and walk thru the setup wizard? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@jspiers667x wrote:

I reset the one of Satellites first with the reset button. That didn't resolve the issue with this satellite. I rebooted the router via the Web console. After doing that, the other Satellite connected and I was able to get the first Satellite resynced via the app. A couple of weeks in to this upgrade from an Orbi system that died after a solid 4 years of service. If this is going to be a constant struggle, it'll probably be time to change back to Linksys.

Message 7 of 12
THEbarbarian87
Aspirant

Connection to the modem makes no difference because the main router keeps connection. It's the satellites that won't connect to the router.

If they are truly having the same issue.

Having to hardwire is the only way to cut out the stupid headache of the wifi backbone constantly breaking.
Message 8 of 12
jspiers667x
Aspirant

I might have to go that route if this is going to be a constant thing with this Nighthawk setup. I didn't have any issues with my Orbi RBR40 setup, outside of the occasional reboot, for about 4 years until the router just totally died. I have Cat6 run to the room where one of the satellites is located, though not on the wall I'd want it. The other satellite is out in my studio, which is a TuffShed about 15 feet from the back of the house (maybe 40 feet from the router). That one will be an endevor to get ethernet run to it.

@THEbarbarian87 wrote:

Having to hardwire is the only way to cut out the stupid headache of the wifi backbone constantly breaking.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume that the NH MESH series may not be as powerful as Orbi system signals are. So greater distances between the MR and MS could be limited by this. 

Message 10 of 12
jspiers667x
Aspirant

That could very well be without checking RSSI on both. Can't do that since the Orbi died though. After my router restart this morning, the satellites reconnected, so I suspect there is something other than distance and interference going on. If it ends up being too much of a hassle, I'll just return the NH system and get something else. Plenty of other mesh systems on the market, and I went with the NH because the Orbi did me well.

I expect the MS in my studio to have occasional issues. It's the furthest away and there are a fair number of walls, including an exterior stucco wall, between it and the MR. However, my issue this morning consisted of both MS units failing to sync until the MR was restarted. The studio MS came right back online after the MR restart, without restarting the MS too. I made the mistake of resetting (with the reset pinhole button) the inside MS before the restart, but once I re-added it via the phone app, it connected properly again too.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would presume that the NH MESH series may not be as powerful as Orbi system signals are. So greater distances between the MR and MS could be limited by this. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Id try moving the MS a bit closer to the MR. You might try turning OFF one MS and run just the other MS and see if the problem continues our not. Then turn on the 2nd one and see. 

What is the distance between the MR and RS currently? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@jspiers667x wrote:

That could very well be without checking RSSI on both. Can't do that since the Orbi died though. After my router restart this morning, the satellites reconnected, so I suspect there is something other than distance and interference going on. If it ends up being too much of a hassle, I'll just return the NH system and get something else. Plenty of other mesh systems on the market, and I went with the NH because the Orbi did me well.

I expect the MS in my studio to have occasional issues. It's the furthest away and there are a fair number of walls, including an exterior stucco wall, between it and the MR. However, my issue this morning consisted of both MS units failing to sync until the MR was restarted. The studio MS came right back online after the MR restart, without restarting the MS too. I made the mistake of resetting (with the reset pinhole button) the inside MS before the restart, but once I re-added it via the phone app, it connected properly again too.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7