× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: My Nighthawk MR60 drops using terraform aka multiple connections at the same time

vongohren
Aspirant

My Nighthawk MR60 drops using terraform aka multiple connections at the same time

I have been working from home the past year and when my work started using terraform I started seeing strange issues with how my internet behaved. There are supporting pictuers I talk about, in the bottom of this post

I could not put down the model becaues it did not exist. But it is a MR60 Nighthawk

So, I have done some tests. First of all using my mobile net to verify that it works on wifi and not a computer problem, and that worked completly fine. Never seen any issues there.

Then I plugged into the router with a cable, the same issues was there.
Then I plugged directly into my ISP internet, bypassing the router, and the problems dissapeared.

So I just wonder where to go about this? Is the router failing, why and what can I do?

Where can I file for errors and improvments for the software?

Screenshot 2021-08-22 at 10.42.09.pngScreenshot 2021-08-22 at 11.11.50.png

Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: My Nighthawk MR60 drops using terraform aka multiple connections at the same time

What modem/gateway is the mr60 connected to?

Message 2 of 16
vongohren
Aspirant

@plemans I have a strange IPS that just delivers a CAT cable into my apartment. So I have no access or controll to that modem.

So all I can say is that it is directly connected to what the IPS provides with me.

But that being said, when I connect to that cable directly, I dont experience any trouble.

If I connect to cable directly to the MR60, I have troubles. So something goes on inside the MR60

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

Whats on the other end of that cable? An ONT? a Managed switch? 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 4 of 16
vongohren
Aspirant

@plemansthanks for taking the time to answer me.

But to answer your question, I have NO idea. My cable dissapears into the wall in the main shared hallway of my apartment building and I dont know where it goes.
I can ask the ISP of course, but what might I ask to give them more insight and me?

Do you think double NAT is the problem here? Since when I connect to the MR60 i get the troubles, but when I connect to the cable from the ISP itself, I dont have those troubles?

Are there possible adjustments I can to on the MR60 or something the ISP have to do on their side?

Why is it only these terraform requests and nothing else?

Lots of questions from me but no answers 😄

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

@vongohren wrote:

@plemansthanks for taking the time to answer me.

But to answer your question, I have NO idea. My cable dissapears into the wall in the main shared hallway of my apartment building and I dont know where it goes.
I can ask the ISP of course, but what might I ask to give them more insight and me?---Basically what your connection is and help with resolving a potential double nat. 

Do you think double NAT is the problem here?---could be.  Since when I connect to the MR60 i get the troubles, but when I connect to the cable from the ISP itself, I dont have those troubles?----easy test is if you have a simple unmanaged switch sitting around. Plug it into the wall and connect a couple devices to it. If all of them work, something is managing dhcp and causing the double nat. 

Are there possible adjustments I can to on the MR60 or something the ISP have to do on their side?---Yes, you can put it in access point mode. Or get the isp or whatever is managing the routing to add your routers IP address to the DMZ. 

Why is it only these terraform requests and nothing else?----some devices dont' have issues with double nats. Some programs, IoT devices, streaming services do. 

Lots of questions from me but no answers 😄

Message 6 of 16
vongohren
Aspirant

Thanks, I have reached out to my ISP again and will see what they reply. If that solves it I will leave a message here

Message 7 of 16
hogguy
Aspirant

I just started having this problem about a month a go, I updated the firmware to both the router and satelite and it did no help. I determined that it is a heat problem within the router.  If I keep the router flat the problem appears, if I raise it to improve air flow the problem it is gone. I suspect the heat sync compound on heat sync attached to the main CPU has deteriorated. I'm going to clean and replace it (compound ~ $8 on Amazon) and built 4 small feet for the router to raise it about 2 inches. I also suspect that Netgear is aware of this and does not tell there out of warranty customers. My router is just over 3 years old.

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

To better help with heat issues, one can install a USB Laptop fan cooler under the MR for additional cooling. I've been using one of these for years under any router I have online. 

Works well and help save HW from heat damage over time. 

@hogguy wrote:

I just started having this problem about a month a go, I updated the firmware to both the router and satelite and it did no help. I determined that it is a heat problem within the router.  If I keep the router flat the problem appears, if I raise it to improve air flow the problem it is gone. I suspect the heat sync compound on heat sync attached to the main CPU has deteriorated. I'm going to clean and replace it (compound ~ $8 on Amazon) and built 4 small feet for the router to raise it about 2 inches. I also suspect that Netgear is aware of this and does not tell there out of warranty customers. My router is just over 3 years old.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@vongohren wrote:

Thanks, I have reached out to my ISP again and will see what they reply. If that solves it I will leave a message here

Message 10 of 16
vongohren
Aspirant

No not really, I still have the problems and the ISP could not say it was their fault.
It did change when I went per cable directly to the ISP and not via the router.

Which do give me some worries the router is the problem

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

"It did change when I went per cable directly to the ISP and not via the router." What changed? 

Message 12 of 16
vongohren
Aspirant

The messages was not dropping and I was able to play out the terraform recipies, more consistently.

As I mentioned earlier, it also works well on mobile.

But if my ISP cannot tell me on their side they are the problem, and the cable kinda proves that, it is the Nighthawk MR60 that is.

But I dont know what I can do about it

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try using different DNS addresses than your ISP DNS and see if anything different is seen. 

Try Quad 9, Cloudfare or Google. 

Message 14 of 16
vongohren
Aspirant

Do you have any pointers to how to do this? On a mac?

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Setup/Internet on the MRs web page.

You should see a secton down towards the middle or bottom for DNS. Select the Custom DNS and you can enter in DNS IP address values here using any web browser on Mac. If you add something and save and apply the setting, reboot the MR and any connected devices...Then test it out. 

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7