Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Night Hawk MR60 Slow WiFi

Chainsaw801
Aspirant

Night Hawk MR60 Slow WiFi

Very frustrated with this system.  I have browsed through the forums and nothing seems to help. Firmware is V1.1.7.132_2.0.64. 

I have a Arris SB6190 cable modem through Xfinity.  Wired from the MR60 directly to my PC Ethernet I see speed in excess of 800 Mbps down and 24 up. (This is what I am paying for).  Connecting to one of the satellites MS60 wired Ethernet to my PC 500 Mbps. If I use 5ghz wifi (my adapter is a Intel ax200 Wifi6) I get 300Mpbs. I have used WiFi scanners to verify strong connections and no mixing with any neighbor channels. I have tried making a customized 5g network with no difference. I cannot put the MR60 in AP mode my modem is not a router.

I have powered off both MS60s and connected made sure I was connected directly to the MR60 less than 20ft from me.  No difference.

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

How is the Basic and Advanced Wireless settings configured on the MR? 

You'll not see same speeds at the MS as what you see near the MR. Distances and building materials and that the MK60 seris is only a dual band MESH system with no wireless back haul may also impact what is seen at the MS. 

Im using manual channels 11 and 48, normally 1 and 40. 40Mhz Co-existence enabled. Beamforming, MIMO and AX are all enabled. 

What I see near my MR with my iPhone:

IMG_1499.PNG

This is good for this system.

What I see at my MS:

IMG_1500.PNG

More then likely won't see much over this at the MS.

Message 2 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

I don't know what speed your ISP is providing to you, but it looks like you have the same problem.  Wi-Fi 6 should be much faster. https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-6-explained/   Regardless of what device I am connected to wirelessly the system should not have any bottlenecks in it for 800Mbps.  

As I mentioned, my hardware is Arris SB6190 cable modem through Xfinity.  I have run a 50' Cat 5 cable from the MR60 to the NIC on my pc. I hit full speed as I am paying for from the ISP.  So, I know the wired connection between the modem and the router are sufficient.  If I run the Ethernet cable to the back of one of the satellites, it drops to 500Mbps.  The distance between my satellites is set to the manufacture recommendation. I've moved one into my office just for testing purposes. The speeds do not change connected to Wi-fi if I'm connected to a MS60 or the MR60.  I've tried both ways by power off the MS60's to force the connection to the MR60 that is literally 15 feet away with nothing but an internal closet wall between me and it. 

I've gone through all the settings for both the Wi-Fi card (Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz) and the NIC 

Chand Width on the Wi-Fi card is set to Auto for both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz
Wireless Mode 802.11ax 

MIMO Power Save Mode Auto SMPS
Preferred Band is 5GHz

Throughput Booster Enabled.
I'm using channel 153 on the 5GHz to avoid conflict with neighbor Wi-Fi in the 44-40 range. I posted an image of my Wi-Fi analysis in the original post. 2.4GHz is set to auto. 

Security is set to WPS2-Personal [AES] 

I'm not sure what you're looking for on the Advanced vs. Basic Wi-Fi settings.  

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

@Chainsaw801 wrote:

I don't know what speed your ISP is providing to you, but it looks like you have the same problem.  Wi-Fi 6 should be much faster. https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-6-explained/   Regardless of what device I am connected to wirelessly the system should not have any bottlenecks in it for 800Mbps.  Speeds are depending again on building materials, distances between the MR and MS and also depends on device support. 2x2 MIMO devices top out at around anywhere from 400 to 700Mpbs depending on support and all the variables in between the device the the mesh system. Devices with 4x4 speed will see near 900Mpbs or over. Speed will drop OFF at greater distances. You wont see same speeds at the MS as you will at the MR. Nature of the wifi beast here. 

As I mentioned, my hardware is Arris SB6190 cable modem through Xfinity. 

You should look into getting a different model model, there is a long standing issue and vulnerability with that model modem. Check DSLReports site for a long forum thread regarding that. 

I have run a 50' Cat 5 cable from the MR60 to the NIC on my pc. I hit full speed as I am paying for from the ISP.  So, I know the wired connection between the modem and the router are sufficient.  If I run the Ethernet cable to the back of one of the satellites, it drops to 500Mbps. CAT5 cabling isn't rated for 1000Mpbs. CAT6 would be recommended. 

The distance between my satellites is set to the manufacture recommendation. What IS the distance between the MR and MS and sq ft size of your home?

I've moved one into my office just for testing purposes. The speeds do not change connected to Wi-fi if I'm connected to a MS60 or the MR60.  I've tried both ways by power off the MS60's to force the connection to the MR60 that is literally 15 feet away with nothing but an internal closet wall between me and it. 

I've gone through all the settings for both the Wi-Fi card (Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz) and the NIC 

Wireless Mode 802.11ax 

Preferred Band is 5GHz

I'm using channel 153 on the 5GHz to avoid conflict with neighbor Wi-Fi in the 44-40 range. I posted an image of my Wi-Fi analysis in the original post. 2.4GHz is set to auto. 

Screen shots would be good here for these two items. 

Message 4 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

UGH!  Not sure what happened, I replied and the response is gone so oligopolies if this shows up twice

@Chainsaw801 wrote:

I don't know what speed your ISP is providing to you, but it looks like you have the same problem.  Wi-Fi 6 should be much faster. https://dongknows.com/wi-fi-6-explained/   Regardless of what device I am connected to wirelessly the system should not have any bottlenecks in it for 800Mbps.  Speeds are depending again on building materials, distances between the MR and MS and also depends on device support. 2x2 MIMO devices top out at around anywhere from 400 to 700Mpbs depending on support and all the variables in between the device the the mesh system. Devices with 4x4 speed will see near 900Mpbs or over. Speed will drop OFF at greater distances. You wont see same speeds at the MS as you will at the MR. Nature of the wifi beast here. 

I did change the Power plan on my PC from Balanced to High Performance.  This gave me a boost of around 130Mbps
Screenshot_20221123_111514.png

As I mentioned, my hardware is Arris SB6190 cable modem through Xfinity. 

You should look into getting a different model model, there is a long standing issue and vulnerability with that model modem. Check DSLReports site for a long forum thread regarding that. Yes, I agree.  I am looking at getting a new modem from Xfinity.

I have run a 50' Cat 5 cable from the MR60 to the NIC on my pc. I hit full speed as I am paying for from the ISP.  So, I know the wired connection between the modem and the router are sufficient.  If I run the Ethernet cable to the back of one of the satellites, it drops to 500Mbps. CAT5 cabling isn't rated for 1000Mpbs. CAT6 would be recommended. I understand, I was pointing out that I used a 50' CAT5 cable to test and achieved the full 800Mbps I am paying for.  The cable between the modem and the router is good.  I believe it's the same one that came from the kit when I bought it.

The distance between my satellites is set to the manufacture recommendation. What IS the distance between the MR and MS and sq ft size of your home? My home is roughly 2400sqft. I am using one of the two MS60s that came in the kit. The distance is roughly 50'-60' from the MR60-MS60. The MR60 is in the basement and the MS60 upper bedroom as pictured.  The distance from the MR60 to my PC in my office is about 18' there's only a single interior 2x4 wall between them. I have a second MS60 not used that I plugged in simply to test the cable from NIC to the MS60 that didn't prove to help.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 122422.png

I've moved one into my office just for testing purposes. The speeds do not change connected to Wi-fi if I'm connected to a MS60 or the MR60.  I've tried both ways by power off the MS60's to force the connection to the MR60 that is literally 15 feet away with nothing but an internal closet wall between me and it. 

Wireless Mode 802.11ax 

Preferred Band is 5GHz

Screen shots would be good here for these two items. 

Screenshot_20221123_121833.pngScreenshot_20221123_122056.png

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

I'd like to hope so. I can't even upgrade the devices manually.  I get a 404 Not Found error after I enter my credentials.  When I try to let the software search it doesn't give me the option of new firmware. 

Chainsaw801_0-1672780398953.png

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you try manually updating the MS first then MR lastly as described in the link given? 

You can log in to the MS web page and send the extracted .zip FW file on the MS web page using a PC and web browser.

Message 8 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

That's the problem.  I can't log into the MS.  When I click manual update and click on the MS, it launches a new window to prompt for my credentials.  I input the creds and it accepts them then goes to a 404 error. 
http://192.168.137.2/start.htm?page=upgrade_page

Chainsaw801_0-1672781731397.png

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is that the IP address seen on the MRs web page under Basic/Connected Devices for the MS? 

Is try just the IP address alone 192.168.137.2

Just curious is the MS using 192.168.137.1 as it's IP address and spool string? Normally it should be 192.168.1.1 or .0.1...

Message 10 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

Yes the address is correct.  I'm being prompted for the login credentials when I click on the address from the upgrade page. I have set a static reservation for each of the devices.   I have tried using the following URLs all with the same 404.  I have even tried plug in my ethernet cable directly into the back of one of the MS units. 

http://192.168.137.2/start.htm?page=upgrade_page

http://192.168.137.2/start.htm

http://192.168.137.2/

.1 is the MR60

.2 is one MS

.3 another MS

Message 11 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

Okay, I got it working to where I can update.  I forced a password change on the main unit and now I am able to log in.   Weird.
I will update the firmware on all three units and post my findings.  I think it's important to keep these threads updated in case someone else runs into the same problems. 

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to update the MS first the MR lastly. Try a full power OFF of the MR and MS for 1 minute then back ON afterwards. 

Message 13 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

Got the MS both done, and the Router (MR) started the update on its own once they rebooted. 

Chainsaw801_0-1672783192936.png

Message 14 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

All devices have been powered down and brought back up. I have opened the Nighthawk app to assure my PC is connected to the MR60. Running a speed test on the MR60 directly connected to the modem exceeds the speed I am paying for. I am getting 868.69 down and 23.8 up.  From the PC to the MR60 my FIRST test hit 655 down. However, every test after than at least 10 other tests are barely getting over 100mbps. After looking into it, my PC had switched its connection to the furthest MS in the house.  I don't think it's possible to force the connection to stay to the closest device.  I've changed the Roaming aggressiveness settings on the Wireless adapter to the lowest.  We'll see if that helps.  

Chainsaw801_3-1672785685870.png

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try speed testing with the MS turned off to check of the PC is getting what it should at the MR. I wish there was power controls on the MR. Would be helpful to reduce the power some. 

Message 16 of 18
lrsantos
Tutor

Did 1.1.7.134 solve the issue for you?  If not, did you try downgrading to a firmware version that was working for you?  1.1.6.124 is working solidly for me when issues with 1.1.7.132 were taking my Wi-Fi down intermittently.  

Message 17 of 18
Chainsaw801
Aspirant

I wouldn't say it made it any better or worse. 

Chainsaw801_0-1673571334384.png

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7