Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk C7000 and Orbi Mesh Wifi compatabilitiy

egmol
Aspirant

Nighthawk C7000 and Orbi Mesh Wifi compatabilitiy

Can I use the Orbi AC3000 Mesh Wifi sysem with my Nighthawk modem/router C7000?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sure. you can run it 1 of 2 ways.

1. Leave the C7000 in router mode and put the orbi in access point mode. That leaves the C7000 running the router functions. Just make sure to put the c7000 wifi channels on something different from orbi so they don't interfere. You won't be able to "mesh" the 2 wifi's but you could use the c7000 as a backup wifi or dedicated to smart devices or something along those lines. 

2. Or just put the c7000 in bridge/modem only mode. then you can leave orbi in router mode and the C7000 acting as purly a modem.

Message 2 of 5
egmol
Aspirant

Thank you.

We live in a 2-story apartment in an old brick building in Boston and have lots of dead spaces. Just putting in an exender doesn't fix the dead spaces. Our goals are to bring in a strong Internet signal (our building has Comcast) and eliminate the dead space issues. Our thought was to hardwire the TV and PC on our 2nd floor by running ethernet cables from one of the mesh wifi devices on the 1st floor up to the TV and PC on the 2nd floor. 

It seems that a better option for us would be to purchase a modem (like the CM500) and purchase the Orbi mesh system to cover the router functions?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you already own the C7000, I wouldn't buy the cm500. I'd use the c7000 in modem only mode and then add the orbi to it. 

You have the right idea by running wires. brick does an amazing job of blocking wifi so the more devices you can hardwire, will help. 

Message 4 of 5
egmol
Aspirant

Thank you - very helpful!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements