Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MK63S stalling internet connection with full strength wifi every 2 - 4 weeks

JimmyJet
Aspirant

Nighthawk MK63S stalling internet connection with full strength wifi every 2 - 4 weeks

I'm using said Nighthawk mesh system with Quantum Fiber's C5500XK modem and it works great! But... approximately every 2 - 4 weeks, all wifi devices suddenly cannot reach the internet, yet have full bar wifi strength. Wired devices are not affected and report ~950mbps down/up. A speed test on the wifi devices will either not even run or will show a super slow speed like 2kbps. The only solution is to reboot the router. Even though the wired devices prove that there actually is internet, I've plugged my laptop directly into the QF modem and it also showed full gigabyte internet speed during these occurrences. So, the modem has full speed internet, wired devices have full speed internet, but wifi devices are stalled until the MR60 is rebooted.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas of what could be going on here?

-thanks

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MK63S stalling internet connection with full strength wifi every 2 - 4 weeks

I'd be betting on the lease time not renewing between the MK system and the ONT. 

A cheap smart switch that rebooted the router once a week might resolve the issue. 

Or checking with the isp about assigning an ip address

Message 2 of 5
JimmyJet
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MK63S stalling internet connection with full strength wifi every 2 - 4 weeks

Thanks for your suggestion. But I'm still a bit confused why the wired devices are getting full speed - wouldn't the lease time renewal issue affect them also? I have a Netgear network switch connected to the output lan cable coming from the MR, and this switch feeds a bunch of wired audio devices in my media room as well as the MS satellite. --thanks

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the brand and model of the LAN switch connected to the MR? 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

@JimmyJet wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. But I'm still a bit confused why the wired devices are getting full speed - wouldn't the lease time renewal issue affect them also? I have a Netgear network switch connected to the output lan cable coming from the MR, and this switch feeds a bunch of wired audio devices in my media room as well as the MS satellite. --thanks

Message 4 of 5
JimmyJet
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What's the brand and model of the LAN switch connected to the MR? NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308)

What CAT# LAN cable are you using? 5e

What is the size of your home? two story Sq Ft? 3100
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 40 and 70

Not sure how any of this would affect lease renewal...

@JimmyJet wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7