× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community


Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6
Reply

Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Hammer5000
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

I just purchased and set up last night, one router and two satellites. Everything seems to be working properly, except nothing is connecting to the satellites, even my Amazon Fire Stick which is in the room with the satellite. 

 

Everything is connected to the base unit.

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

how far apart from the router is the satellites? 30 ft is recommended. 

Do they function properly if you hardwire a device to them? 

Reason I ask, is the router/satellites don't actually switch devices between them, its the devices own roaming protocol that devices which to connect to. 

Message 2 of 17
Hammer5000
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

The satellite in the room with the Fire Stick is less than 30 feet, more like 18 feet from the router. Sounds like the satellites only engage if the router signal is not as strong as the satellite?

 

I bought the mesh system because the Fire Stick occasionally struggled with my old router. Sounds like I don't need the mesh system. My house is only 1950 sq ft.

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

It still can help with coverage having the satellites but just make sure they're far enough apart or devices don't roam as you'd expect. 

 

Message 4 of 17

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues


@Hammer5000 wrote:

The satellite in the room with the Fire Stick is less than 30 feet, more like 18 feet from the router. Sounds like the satellites only engage if the router signal is not as strong as the satellite?

 

I bought the mesh system because the Fire Stick occasionally struggled with my old router. Sounds like I don't need the mesh system. My house is only 1950 sq ft.


My place is 2100 sq ft, 2 1/2 stories.   I have the system with one router and two satellites.  I have the router on the first floor, a satellite on the middle level, and a satellite on the upper level.  The devices don't always connect to the satellite/router you'd expect them to.  For example, in my office I have several devices including a TV, a Firestick, a desktop PC, sometimes my phone, and I have one of the satellites in there.  Sometimes the devices connect to the router downstairs.  Occasionally one will connect to the satellite on the second level.  No rhyme or reason what access point they connect to at any given time. 

 

I could probably get by with just the router, or maybe the router and one access point.   I'd say you could probably just put the router in the middle of your place and be just fine.  Or maybe the router on one side of your place and one satellite in the middle to cover the other side. 

Message 5 of 17
Robrhapsody
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

It obviously isn't a great product if the satellite is between the router and me and it won't switch over to the closer one. I get 50 to 120mb/s on my laptop and mobile phone 10 feet from the satellite, and can get 400mb/s+ if I walk 20 feet to my room. Unfortunately, I can not move the satellite without running an ethernet cable across the living room to my TV.  Why can Netgear not enable the ability to block and unblock devices from connecting to the router or a satellite so that it connects to the one that will give the best speeds? It doesn't make sense. I've read so many forums with people experiencing the same thing. It should be made possible. Or at least mention in your that it doesn't help internet speeds in houses under 2000sq without putting them on opposite sides of the house. 

Message 6 of 17
Loverofsun7
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Yes it is the worst Netgear product I have ever purchased and I always buy from this product. I bought this year in January and literally spends hours every month trying to reconnect it. I bought because it was supposed to automatically update and literally every month spent hours and hours trying to get it reconnected having to login to router.net work with some online person I’ve tried to get my money back I’ve tried to exchange it for another product we are absolutely done. I’ve tried to contact Netgear over and over and it wasn’t until I put a bad review on Best Buy that someone finally contacted me only to not resolve my issue here again I am without Internet for most of two weeks because I haven’t had time to spend hours and hours reconnecting. My husband is sick and tired of us not having wireless Internet and so am I! Since Netgear won’t help me we are going out to buy a new router today.
Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

It's up to the connected devices it pick and choose where they connect too. Not the MESH system. It only provides the platform for devices to connect too. 

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

Try turning down the power output of the MRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings


@Robrhapsody wrote:

It obviously isn't a great product if the satellite is between the router and me and it won't switch over to the closer one. I get 50 to 120mb/s on my laptop and mobile phone 10 feet from the satellite, and can get 400mb/s+ if I walk 20 feet to my room. Unfortunately, I can not move the satellite without running an ethernet cable across the living room to my TV.  Why can Netgear not enable the ability to block and unblock devices from connecting to the router or a satellite so that it connects to the one that will give the best speeds? It doesn't make sense. I've read so many forums with people experiencing the same thing. It should be made possible. Or at least mention in your that it doesn't help internet speeds in houses under 2000sq without putting them on opposite sides of the house. 


 

 

Message 8 of 17
Dparm59
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

I have only had this MR60 less than two weeks and the satellight stopped connecting. I am very disappointed with the customer service I am getting with netgear. I have a case open and not resolved. Don’t buy this system!!!
Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Good Luck then. 

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Any progress on this? 


@Loverofsun7 wrote:
Yes it is the worst Netgear product I have ever purchased and I always buy from this product. I bought this year in January and literally spends hours every month trying to reconnect it. I bought because it was supposed to automatically update and literally every month spent hours and hours trying to get it reconnected having to login to router.net work with some online person I’ve tried to get my money back I’ve tried to exchange it for another product we are absolutely done. I’ve tried to contact Netgear over and over and it wasn’t until I put a bad review on Best Buy that someone finally contacted me only to not resolve my issue here again I am without Internet for most of two weeks because I haven’t had time to spend hours and hours reconnecting. My husband is sick and tired of us not having wireless Internet and so am I! Since Netgear won’t help me we are going out to buy a new router today.

 

Message 11 of 17
Dparm59
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Surprisingly they called me back and will exchange my system for a new one. I found an error that said the software was corrupt on the satellite. I don’t have much hope of a new one being any better than the one I have, but I will try.
Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Good to hear. Hope the new one works well. Be sure if you update in the future, update the MS first the MR lastly. I recommend direct ethernet connection and use the MS web pages to update FW on. 

Message 13 of 17
Dparm59
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Thank you
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

👍

Message 15 of 17
Dparm59
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Just an update, after days of trying EVERYTHING... we could not get the satellite to connect to the router. They are accepting a return. Any suggestions on what I should try next??
Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR 60 Mesh Satellite Connection issues

Get an RMA. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4515 views
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7