Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router 5G Channel Selection.

msekar
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router 5G Channel Selection.

As the Nighthawk X6 R7900 AC3000 wasn't providing suficient WiFi coverage, I purchased Nighthawk MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh system with 2 satellites a year ago. I set them up as Access Point behind X6 R7900 router which was connected to the Comcast Modem. Everything was working great until I decided to simplify the network by removing X6 R7900 between MR60/MS60 Mesh Router and the Comcast modem. After this, my home network became very unreliable. I spent enormous amount of time trying to troubleshoot this issue. Here the deficiencies I found with Nighthawk MR60/MS 60 system which are very basic and could be found in any cheap router.

1. The DHCP server in MR60/MS60 is very flaky as both wired and wireless devices often fail to get valid IP Address. I say this because X6 R7900 router was acting as DHCP server before and no issues.

2. There is no Auto selection of 5G Channels in MR60/MS60 router forcing me to pick a channel. I noticed that WiFi routers from neighbors are often changing channels which may conflict with my network. I can see my SSID but can't connect often.

I temporarily replaced MR/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh system with ASUS Lyra WiFi 5 Mesh system borrowed from a friend. ASUS Lyra system auto selects 5G channels delivering reliable connectivity to my home. I will stay on borrowed ASUS Lyra until MR60/MS60 system fixes the 2 items I identified above.

Please fix these ASAP as I want to get back on my MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh system. 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router 5G Channel Selection.

@msekar wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 @michaelkenward as I was able to do a Factory reset of MR60 and set it up ground up as a new system directly working behind the Modem. One of the satellites is connected through ethernet cable and another wirelessly. So far, the system is working fine for 2 days without any issues.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

I do have a couple of questions.

I tried to add another Satellite MS60 purchased on eBay (secondary market unit). The adding part was easy - Did a factory reset of MS60, added it using Web interface of the router. The new satellite appears on the system but the network has become unstable; meaning, the other satellites are going offline randomly. So, I removed the new satellite to get the network back into working condition. My questions..
1. Is there some prep I need to do to properly get the newly purchased MS60 in secondary market added to the network? Ensure the FW is updated to same version as what's on MR or current MK system. 

2. How to delete the newly added MS60 from the network configuration? Turn off the MS and select remove from the MRs web page under connected devices? 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@msekar wrote:

As the Nighthawk X6 R7900 AC3000 wasn't providing suficient WiFi coverage, I purchased Nighthawk MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh system with 2 satellites a year ago. I set them up as Access Point behind X6 R7900 router which was connected to the Comcast Modem. Everything was working great until I decided to simplify the network by removing X6 R7900 between MR60/MS60 Mesh Router and the Comcast modem. After this, my home network became very unreliable. I spent enormous amount of time trying to troubleshoot this issue. Here the deficiencies I found with Nighthawk MR60/MS 60 system which are very basic and could be found in any cheap router.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

1. The DHCP server in MR60/MS60 is very flaky as both wired and wireless devices often fail to get valid IP Address. I say this because X6 R7900 router was acting as DHCP server before and no issues.
I presume you have set the MR back to router mode after you removed the R7900 router from the mix? 

I recommend setting the DHCP IP address pool range to 192.168.1.100 to .200.

I haven't seen any DHCP issues with mine that has recent FW loaded. 

2. There is no Auto selection of 5G Channels in MR60/MS60 router forcing me to pick a channel. I noticed that WiFi routers from neighbors are often changing channels which may conflict with my network. I can see my SSID but can't connect often.
I use channels 1 and 40 all the time and dont' have any problems with my MK63 system. NG doesn't use Auto on 5Ghz and never has on any of there newer generation routers. I've seen this on other mfr routers as well. 5Ghz has always been a default manual channel or pick someting. No Auto is supported on 5Ghz. Been like this for a while now.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 2 of 9
msekar
Aspirant

v1.1.7.134

I believe this is the latest version as indicated by the version check.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Modem is Netgear CM1100

I don't think there is any issue with the modem as it worked with multiple routers before.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Yes, it is a good cable; I tried multiple cables as I have some spare cables.

I presume you have set the MR back to router mode after you removed the R7900 router from the mix? 

Yes, I unchecked the Checkbox for Access Point. I also did a factory reset and set it up from scratch.

I recommend setting the DHCP IP address pool range to 192.168.1.100 to .200.

Will try this later as I am trying it as Access Point (like before) behind the ASUS router.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

2400 SFT. 

I didn't have any issues with placement of 3 units when I used them as Access Points.

What is the distance between the router and 
satellite(s)? 

They are all within 30 feet distance of each other.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Yes, I tried this without much success.

Right now, I using the ASUS Lyra Trio Mesh router with 3 units as primary network connected to Xfinity Modem with SSID; it is working great with 5G Channel selection set to Auto. I do see 5G channels changing from 149, 157, 161.I setup Netgear MR60/MS60 Mesh router as Access Point with its own unique SSID behind the ASUS router; unfortunately, Netgear is running with fixed 5G Channel of 153 as it doesn't have ability to Auto select. Both of these networks are working good so far. If Netgear addresses these limitations, I will switch Netgear as primary network and remove ASUS router. Otherwise, I have to accept the Netgear limitation and move on.

Message 3 of 9

@msekar wrote:

v1.1.7.134

I believe this is the latest version as indicated by the version check.

Not, sadly, a reliable guide. The "version check" can miss things like "hotfixes". The only way to tell is to compare your installed version with the support site:

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist. In this case you are OK, but don't rely on "version check" in future.

Modem is Netgear CM1100

I don't think there is any issue with the modem as it worked with multiple routers before.

Again, that doesn't guarantee much. Modem and router have to work together. If all that you did was to remove the R7900, you should go through the tedious process of resetting and restarting the whole network, modem and router. Then they will renegotiate the appropriate settings as they reboot.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

By the way, exhortations to:

Please fix these ASAP as I want to get back on my MR60/MS60 WiFi 6 Mesh system.

are lost here and don't go down well.

This is essentially a user-to-user forum, with some input from a small band of Netgear techies. If you want official attention start here:

Contact Us | MyNETGEAR

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

"What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 

They are all within 30 feet distance of each other."

With in 30 feet is too close between the MR and MS. For that size of home, you may only need just one MS out at 30 feet. 

Just because one mfr chooses to use Auto for there products doesn't mean that other mfrs would need to follow. I've got neighbors as well and I don't have to change my 5Ghz channels. I always use channel 40 here.

I guess use what works best for you. 
Good Luck

@msekar 

Message 5 of 9
msekar
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 @michaelkenward as I was able to do a Factory reset of MR60 and set it up ground up as a new system directly working behind the Modem. One of the satellites is connected through ethernet cable and another wirelessly. So far, the system is working fine for 2 days without any issues.

I tried to add another Satellite MS60 purchased on eBay (secondary market unit). The adding part was easy - Did a factory reset of MS60, added it using Web interface of the router. The new satellite appears on the system but the network has become unstable; meaning, the other satellites are going offline randomly. So, I removed the new satellite to get the network back into working condition. My questions..
1. Is there some prep I need to do to properly get the newly purchased MS60 in secondary market added to the network?

2. How to delete the newly added MS60 from the network configuration?

Thanks  

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@msekar wrote:

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

1. Is there some prep I need to do to properly get the newly purchased MS60 in secondary market added to the network? Ensure the FW is updated to same version as what's on MR or current MK system. 

2. How to delete the newly added MS60 from the network configuration? Turn off the MS and select remove from the MRs web page under connected devices? 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Message 7 of 9

@msekar wrote:

1. Is there some prep I need to do to properly get the newly purchased MS60 in secondary market added to the network?

First try to get the same firmware on all MS60s.

Might be best done "off line":

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Download and apply a copy of the firmware now running on your working satellites.

Message 8 of 9
msekar
Aspirant

I was able to add the satellites easily. I did not realize most of my network stability problems were due to 2 MS60 satellites connecting through Wired backhaul. I figured this out after lots of trial and error. I created a new post seeking help to connect 2 MS60s on wired backhaul while other 2 MS60s connect wirelessly.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7