Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk MR80 AX3600 ethernet issues

drakespringston
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR80 AX3600 ethernet issues

I have used the Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 system for a few weeks and everything was running fine until recently. 

The mesh system is set where my router is on the first floor in the living room, and the 2 satalites are on the 2nd floor in my 2 offices.

Each satalite has 2 computers connected via the ethernet ports on the back of the satalites.

The issue: I can run a speedtest on the router's app and get 900+Down and 35 up. but if I run tests from my computer it will go up and down with a high of 380 down and a low of 4mb down. My wife streams for a living and I havent been able to understand what causes these random down times, and it has been effecting her stream and at times even completely taking it offline.

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@drakespringston wrote:

The mesh system is set where my router is on the first floor in the living room, and the 2 satalites are on the 2nd floor in my 2 offices.

Each satalite has 2 computers connected via the ethernet ports on the back of the satalites.

This does read like a wireless backhaul in this case, the satellites and the router don't have a wired Ethernet connection.

@drakespringston wrote:

I can run a speedtest on the router's app and get 900+Down and 35 up.

This test is run in a SpeedTest client direct on the router with a physical connection towards what is making the Internet.

@drakespringston wrote:

...but if I run tests from my computer it will go up and down with a high of 380 down and a low of 4mb down.

Assume your computer is one of these connected direct to the satellite. Without any more insight, it's hard to say what is causing the big variation on the available bandwidth. Have not enough experience on the MK8x system - is it possible the wireless backhaul is active on the 2.4 GHz band only, which is shared with other clients, so the throughput could vary that heavily?

Message 2 of 6
drakespringston
Aspirant

I dont know how to see if that is the case. the computer is physically connected to one of the satalites.

Message 3 of 6
drakespringston
Aspirant

I checked the log and saw [DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] was being spammed. I assume it is a false possitive and dissabled portscan/dos protection in wan settings. but i fear that this wasnt the reason for the harsh drops in service.

Message 4 of 6
drakespringston
Aspirant

on routerlogin.net. I went to advanced/administration/attached devices and I can see the 2 satalites are listed 5ghz as the connection type.

Message 5 of 6
in2ndo
Apprentice

I’m new to mesh systems. But when you hay
“The mesh system is set where my router is on the first floor in the living room” does that mean you have the MK83 connected to another router? I’m assuming you have an MK83 since you mentioned 2 satellites.
If that is the case. One of the routers should be in bridge mode. And I think it would be the first one.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7