Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh MK62 Dropping Internet Connection

bkjendal
Aspirant

Recently (last week) purchased the MK63, as well, and am having the same issues as all here.  Wifi connection, though strongest signal strength, loses internet connection.  Not all wireless devices at once, either, sometimes some are working and others are not.  Just upgraded to the newest .98 firmware, so hoping that helps, but nothing in the release notes to suggest it will take care of this issue.  Any word from Netgear acknowledging the issue and working on a fix?  

Thanks.

Message 51 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk Mesh Community, 

If you're experiencing issues with your system, I would recommend opening a ticket with our support team for further investigation. The feedback in the community and from our support team help identify issues that can be addressed in future firmware updates. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 52 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Dear Christian,

as you have seen in this thread NOTHING(!) has been properly addressed by the Netgear support and I find it increadibly ignorant to just point ti your support when I have read this thread it is clear that NONE of the recommendations had helped any member so far and this is a general problem of the router. This is why I wanted to know if Netgear has finally recognized the case series of issues as a real problem which is needed for you to fix this.

Thank you very much for your next clear and precise answer to my question.

Dennis

P.S.: Just reading the amazon reviews remind me as well on the mentioned issues. I really think its time to approach it proactively instead of staying ignorant on this.

Message 53 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member - If you've contacted support, may you provide me with your case number(s). I can assist with having your case escalated. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 54 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am not eligible for the 90day premium support but from what I have seen the support was not helpful or supportive at all for anyone. Its just tu rule out standard problems but nothing beyond recognizing that there is asctually a problem with the router software itself.

I can play ping pong on my end. When I put my old router back I have stable internet for a week. When I then switch it between 2-48h I have to powercycle the router due to 1) DHCP server crash (169 IPs suddenly) or 2) internet stops working until I power cycle or 3) cannot remotely control the TV or smart speaker with youtube, spotify, amazon primer, apple TV ...

It would be reallt appreacited (I think speaking for everybody on this thread) if this problem would be properly addressed by the Netgear support team independent of customers and proactively on the router software.

Thank you very much for moving this constructively forward.

Dennis

Message 55 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Christian_R ,

any updates on your end if this is a recognized problem that will be fixed as it seems to be a general problem?

For the moment (!) I have AX turned off but the reason for having a Wifi 6 router is to use it (and OFDMA).

Thank you for getting back to me on the status.

Dennis

Message 56 of 141
plemans
Guru

Message 57 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks @plemans 

In general this is advertised as having wifi6 and ofdma -- but it seems that there are many problems with it and netgear is not acknowledging that there is a general problem -- this would be the first step so that everybody can even choose if  you want wifi6 and ofdma or rather turn it off.

Cheers.

D

Message 58 of 141
plemans
Guru

I don't think the ofdma issue is isolated to netgear. Its just not showing a whole lot of current speed improvement and maybe manufacturers aren't putting the extra resources into getting the AX issues resolved. 

And the AX issues aren't isolated to netgear either. I've tried  both arris and linksys and they haven't been smooth operating on all their devices. Its a new spec and its going to have issues. 

But the continued contact does help netgear see whats going on and devote resources to it. 

Message 59 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member - Send me a private message with your email, contact info, and serial number and I can have our support team reach out.

Christian 

Message 60 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Christian_R 

I will send you a PM.

But would it not make sense to as well address this so that people would not things are taken care on?

Thanks

Dennis

Message 61 of 141
wifiisnotfast
Initiate

Called my credit card company and filed a dispute. I got the money for my device right away. I was super excited for wifi6 and netgear nighthawk has ruined that experience
Message 62 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

I have a similar issue, but mine is directly related to the MS60 (satellite). I will randomly lose connectivity on devices and my solution has been to reboot the satellite. This fixes my issues immediately, but I have just loaded V1.0.4.98_2.0.42 firmware and I’ll give this 1-2 days before I open yet another case and escalate to product manager(s).
Case #s:
Message 63 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

Well, the latest firmware is a bust.  I didn't make it though an entire day without issue(s).  For now, I have turned off Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING and Enable AX to see if I can get through 1-xx days without incident.  I will report back on this topic in a couple of days (unless it doesn't help either).

latest case # 43057449

Message 64 of 141
erlewis5x
Aspirant

@mjcalabrese 

I have disabled AX but not beamforming.  How has your router performed since the 13th?

Message 65 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@erlewis5x ... it’s gotten a little better but I still have some issues with the family. The XBOX One-X dropped off the network (satellite-connected, of course) the other night and wouldn’t reconnect until we power-cycled it (not the satellite).

I have escalated my open case to product management since this seems to be a never-ending battle right now. I am dropping daily updates into the case. I told the agent handling the case currently that my concern is that my free support ends in two weeks and I do not see value in paying for support that is not adding any benefit right now.
Message 66 of 141
TigerPrince
Initiate

Months after, still same issue as everyone else.  I am tired of hearing my family members telling me that the internet dropped again.  After hours on hold and spent discussing the issue with technical support, still no fix.  I have tried many different things none of them make a difference. Even with the latest firmware that claims to fix the issue, also reverted back a few firmware versions.  

Purchased at Costco so I can be more patient.  If no fix in the next few weeks, I will tke it back for a refund.  Just tired of dealing with constant dropping of the signal.  

Message 67 of 141
Formozo
Tutor

Hi Dennis,

Any news from your side? Any solution from Netgear? I have here a paper weight device waiting for any kind of solution. I had to buy a cheaper TP-Link Deco Mesh, that is working fine (and 100% stable) since then. But I'm still waiting for a solution.

Luciano

Message 68 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No clear solution so far.

Router and satellite were reset and debug mode is turned on to track down the system -- as I had some issues (next morning the internet was gone - red light) and I had to reboot I still need to send some additional information out.

The weekend gave me a stable system - if it is really another round of firmware upload and reset I would be very surprised but we'll see if the first debug report will help.

Best.

D

Message 69 of 141
Cletus
Guide

I just received my new replacement that failed. Had the red light on the front. Per Netgear they finally sent me a new one after 6 weeks. In the mean time I resurrected my old Linksys EA4500 with an OpenWRT firmware install. Quite easy. In the meantime I purchased another Linksys EA4500 for $11 on ebay and installed OpenWRT on it and it has been working fine as my sateliite.

No thanks for Netgear but this cheap solution with these old Linksys EA4500 and OpenWRT are working quite well. No wifi 6, but I don't have any wifi 6 devices yet. 

Just another solution for y'all to think about.

Message 70 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

Case # 42814097. Not sure how my case was closed when a solution was never found. The wifi Internet keeps dropping devices randomly. Even if I reboot the router, my iphone will not reconnect without telling it to forget the network and log in again with a new connection. My Samsung Smart TV just sits there and spins. None of the suggestions have solved this well-documented problem by many users. The most recent update made things even worse. I gave up and replaced the Netgear MK62 “boat anchor” with an Amazon Eero mesh system which works flawlessly. What are you offering to replace this worthless $230 system purchased at Best Buy???
Message 71 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

Funny story, but I called in a new case over the weekend and they are RMAing the MS60. The MS60 showed no 5.0 GHz devices connected, but I did have 10+ 2.4 GHz connected devices.

Three RMA options:
1. Free but I have to ship (my expense, so not free) the MS60 to Netgear and then the will send replacement in 7-10 days. 2. Advance replacement $16.90 with prepaid return shipping label and 3. $29.90 nbd advance ship with prepaid return label.

The funny part is that the agent was blaming the “No Internet connection” on DOS Attacks in the log file. Told him, I would agree if everyone dropped but it’s just random devices and everyone else is fine. I was on my iPad playing Madden Mobile when she dropped. Sorry, but come up with a better answer.
Message 72 of 141
HackedReactor
Aspirant

So i bought this system three weeks ago, and I recently noticed two of my devices keep getting "No Internet Connection" message on the connected network. It mainly happens for only my iphone 10s max and an older windows 10 machine. After maybe 1-2 hours of non-use the error goes away and everything works as expected. After a little bit of troubleshooting and diagnosis I realized the problem is mainly with the satelite and the windows 10 PC having trouble identifying the connection to the internet. If I just unplug the satelite, both the devices connect to the main router hub. I read on previous pages that I might have to force the MAC address to a static IP for the particular windows PC. Other than that all my other devices stay connected without any drops, but I believe its mainly because they are in close proximity to the main router. The other family members phones when they are downstairs seem to connect to the satelite fine and couple of my work PCs stay connected even when bringing them downstairs.

That being said, it is still a little bit frustrating to see that it drops for the PC downstairs because thats a family device and we usually use that to stream/cast onto our TV's. I will try setting a static IP for that particular machine to see if that fixes the issue based on some feedback by other community members on this thread. Otherwise I will need to contact support for further guidance. A temporary break-fix scenario right now is disabling the satelite rather than resetting the main router which effects current connections to drop which I cannot do during the day as we work from home.

I hope the break-fix scenario is a better option to those who do not want to keep resetting the main hub. Definitely not a solution but it is something to mitigate the impact.

Message 73 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@HackedReactor, Welcome to the family ... I believe your issue is similar to mine.  If you lose connectivity, can you take your iPhone closer to the MR60 (router) side and see if you get connected again (before pulling power on any equipment)?  This works for me every time and it's how I determined my issue was with the satellite (MS60).  I am connected between the MR60 and MS60 with Ethernet (and Gigabit LAN switches), so when this is working it's awesome, but the family issues outweigh the awesomeness.

Message 74 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

Follow-up:  Now we're getting somewhere - I have a new excalated case [3111919] with a Level 2 engineer that's kicking this up to the Engineering Team.  His thought is this is still a firmware issue that's affecting the MS60, but we're pulling debug logs waiting for another disconnect.  Fingers crossed that we finally find the issue ...

Thanks @Christian_R for your help in getting this escalated ...

Message 75 of 141
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7