Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Mesh mr60 bad performance with satellites

BOJO3811
Follower

Nighthawk Mesh mr60 bad performance with satellites

With this MR60 router stand-alone my wifi has been fine. No issues. As soon as I add a satellite, performance drops significantly. After working with Netgear’s support and upgrading the firmware, the issues persisted. Finally having a weekend off, I played with the settings myself. Thinking it was an interference issue, I separated the 2.4 and 5 bands with no performance increase. Then I noticed my devices on 2.4 had no issues. Only 5ghz was affected. Then I found the answer.

I disabled 802.11ax (wifi 6). This solved all of my issues and haven’t had problems since. I had issues before even with devices that weren’t wifi 6 capable, so not sure why this works. But it works. I hope this helps the many other people I’ve seen having this issue.

Will look into a different wifi 6 system in the future as this mesh has been more of a pain than what it’s worth.
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh mr60 bad performance with satellites

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Be sure both MR and MS are using same version of FW. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7