Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk R8500

Btrembla2
Tutor

Nighthawk R8500

I have a Nighthawk R8500 and i love it!!! My problem is that i have a garage that is dettached and i can't get a signal to it. I was looking to add the MK62 to my existing R8500 setup. My only question is whether this would work or can someone recommend a better solution?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The MK62 *might* work but it also might not. 

Problem is the brick and it being an exterior wall. Exterior walls tend to be thicker and have more materials that block wifi. 

Most routers/extenders are all already hitting the FCC's broadcast restrictions so switching to another device doesn't usually add power to the equation. 

If its only 20ft, you might be better off to run an underground ethernet wire and just put an access point in the garage. Your dlink extender might even have access point mode so all it'd cost is the wire and some time to run it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How far away is this detached garage? 

What materials are your exterior walls of your home and on the garage? 

These are important factors as adobe, brick, concrete, plaster lathe, metal siding, foil lined insulation all do great jobs of blocking wifi. It would change how you set stuff up. 

Message 2 of 6
Btrembla2
Tutor

Garage is vinyl siding, house isa mix of very coarse brick from the 70's and vinyl siding.

Garage is approx. 20 feet away from the house.

I tried using a DLINK extender from my bedroom where it's the closest point but it sux...i get a few bars and it's slower than molasses running down a tree in the middle of a Canadian winter 🙂

I was thinking of trying to connect the MK62 (replace the dlink) in my bedroom then have the satelite in my garage...

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The MK62 *might* work but it also might not. 

Problem is the brick and it being an exterior wall. Exterior walls tend to be thicker and have more materials that block wifi. 

Most routers/extenders are all already hitting the FCC's broadcast restrictions so switching to another device doesn't usually add power to the equation. 

If its only 20ft, you might be better off to run an underground ethernet wire and just put an access point in the garage. Your dlink extender might even have access point mode so all it'd cost is the wire and some time to run it. 

Message 4 of 6
Btrembla2
Tutor

Yeah, true enough...didn't want to dig tho...but...your not the first person to say the same thing to me.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Might be worth checking out the RBK43/RBK53 systems if you do decide to try a mesh system. lately they've been around the same price as the MK62 system and have the 3rd back for wireless backhaul.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7