× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Router and Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Mesh System

MikeBrun
Follower

Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Router and Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Mesh System

I have had a Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Router for a few years and recently had an issue with it. Tech support solved the issue but recommended I get a mesh system to strengthen the signal throughout my home. 

Does the Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Mesh System work in conjunction with the Router or does it replace it?

Thanks for any feedback

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Router and Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Mesh System

What actual router do you have? Most of them aren't mesh but if they're a decent system, you can use them in conjunction with the mesh setup like I do. 

I usually go flagship router---Mesh system. 

The flagship provides the fastest speeds to the close in devices and the mesh provides good speeds to the peripheral of my home. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Router and Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Mesh System

@MikeBrun wrote:

Tech support solved the issue but recommended I get a mesh system to strengthen the signal throughout my home. 

Was that Netgear tech?

Beware any suggestions that you spend more money.

You don lt need Mesh to "strengthen the signal". There are cheaper ways of going that, depending the circumstances.

Mesh is good for a wifi network that is easy to use and has the same SSID and passwords that devices can connected to as you move around without any noticeable pauses as you move from one wifi source the the next. But that needs several sources that work together. You may find that just one inexpensive "extender" will get what you want.

So start with what you want to achieve and not with what someone suggests.

I have a setup a bit like @plemans but I have also used simpler and cheaper systems.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7