Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 mesh with 2 MR60 routers

kbettich
Aspirant

Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 mesh with 2 MR60 routers

I own a large home with 3 floors and I have Ethernet CAT6 wiring from each floor down to my Broadband AT&T router. I wanted a single reliable and strong WiFi SSID through my whole house so I purchased an MR60/MS60 Nighthawk Wifi6 mesh combo. 

I really love it, I put the router on Floor 1, connected it to the AT&T gateway and I put the satellite on Floor 2, which worked great. However the wifi was poor on Floor 3.

At the time it was not possible to buy a single satellite to deploy it as a second satellite. It was not supported.

So I bought a second pair router/satellite MR60/MS60 combo and set ip up in the 3rd floor, it is broadcastng the same SSID as the first pair of MR60/MS60

The 2nd router is connected to the AT&T brodband gateway via CAT6 ethernet cable, just like the 1st router. they each pair with their respective satellite.

It works but I have 2 questions:

- Is it supported to deploy 2 routers broadcasting the same SSID in the same building? Best Buy sales person said it was hence I bought the second pair

- I noticed wi-fi clients are sometimes issued a duplicate IP address. In other words 2 different machines sharing the same DHCP IP Address. Device 1 gets 10.0.0.6 from Router 1 on floor 1, Device 2 gets 10.0.0.6 as well but from router 2 on 3rd floor. How to solve this issue?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
araghava
Star

MR63 is now available at Costco. This is a router MR60 with 2 satellites. You can connect the LAN port on routher to a switch and connect each satellite to a port on the switch.

You can do the same with your existing system by using just the satellite from your 2nd system if you like.

Message 2 of 9
kbettich
Aspirant

So let me get that straight: connect MR60 LAN port to a LAN switch port using an Ethernet cable. Connect both MS60 satellites LAN ports to that same switch so they logically sit on the LAN behind the MS60 router

Message 3 of 9
araghava
Star

Correct

Message 4 of 9
captain69
Tutor

How do you disable the router and DHCP server, and just pass through your own DHCP services and LAN through the LAN port? The MR 60 insists on being connected to the Internet through the “Internet” port and the ONLY documented way of configuring the thing is by using the Nighthawk app, which has zero manual configuration options. I should’ve just bought another unifi AC AP pro and called it good, but Costco made this seem like a simple Wi-Fi extender. sigh
Message 5 of 9
liquidgeek
Tutor

put your mr60 in access point mode. i have a pfsense firewall setup in my home which is my dhcp server, i set up my mesh network into access point mode. the dhcp is passed through the access point without issue. also if your going to do this plug the ethernet cable from your switch into the lan port of the mr60 and not the wan port.

Message 6 of 9
captain69
Tutor

You cannot put it into AP mode from the app. You HAVE TO use a web browser. PITA! 😡
Message 7 of 9
zee928
Aspirant

Have MK63 (MR60 + 2 MS60).  MR60 is in AP mode. 

Trying to use backhaul feature, but all the examples and comments I see are talking about MR60+2 satelites connected to same switch.

My setup is : ATT/ROUTER -> connected to 3 switches (1 to each LAN on ATT/Router) -> MR60 is behind switch #1 connected via LAN port not WAN, MS60 is behind switch #2, and MS60 is behind switch #3.   This way each floor of my house has a 8 or 5 port switch.

Any reason this setup doesnt work?

Thanks,

zee928

Message 8 of 9
captain69
Tutor

I’m pretty sure that is not what this product is designed to do. It’s designed to be a mesh Wi-Fi network. You CAN put the main box (mr60) into dumb AP mode, and it will tell the two satellites to follow. I suspect that you could Kluge what you want By configuring your system this way IN MESH MODE, and once that’s working, move each of the satellites to serve as a dedicated dumb AP (LAN port extender). But this is not what this product is designed for. What you really want is three separate APs. I’d go ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO which Will give you much better customizable configuration options, and also let you do almost all configuration from your iPhone! Even remotely 😉. Good luck!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7