Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk mesh MR60 - devices that require 2.4 GHz connection

Silly_PuTTY
Guide

I have the MK83 (MR80/MS80) and the solution for me was to go into advanced -> customize wifi and it lets you create a new 2.4GHz only SSID. So now I have a robot vac soley on it's own SSID. Fun.

Did this option ever make it's way down to the MK63 line?

Message 26 of 49

@Silly_PuTTY wrote:

I have the MK83 (MR80/MS80) and the solution for me was to go into advanced -> customize wifi and it lets you create a new 2.4GHz only SSID. So now I have a robot vac soley on it's own SSID. Fun.

Did this option ever make it's way down to the MK63 line?

Nope.  

The MR60/MK60/MS60 line seems to be a "beta"   

People paid lots of money for a system, and had problems.  They fixed the problems in the "80" series, not the "60" series and now I either have to pony up more money to buy the MR80, or get rid of all my "smart" devices.  

Thanks Netgear. 

Message 27 of 49
Benj3390
Initiate

Hey i dont know if this will help everybody but i was having this same issue so i called the support line. What ended up seeming to help fix the issue for me was using the gateway id in the web browser (if you go into your wifi connection and click on the name of ur wifi it should be in there) open a new web browser and type in http:// then the gateway id number when it loads you will be asked to log in with the admin username and password (i was asked to create these during setup of my mesh system) when u log in go to advanced settings then wireless settings and at the bottom it says enable AX with a check box beside it that is already checked i was told to uncheck this box and hit apply when it was done updating i was able to connect my devices that use 2.4ghz bandwidth. I was also told that as it is a mesh system the 5.0 and 2.4 ghz would not have seperate names but would connect the items being connected to the best connection. Again i do not know if this is a fix for everybody as i called tech support and did other steps like restarting the router before we got to this fix.
Message 28 of 49
schumaku
Guru

@MarcHChampagne wrote:

People paid lots of money for a system, and had problems.  They fixed the problems in the "80" series, not the "60" series and now I either have to pony up more money to buy the MR80, or get rid of all my "smart" devices.  

You are mixing up two products with different feature sets.

Granted, Netgear would do much better taking care on product continuity on the same product family instead of feature nut picking expecting higher sales numbers on the latest product versions only.

Ref. "problems". The majority of issues are caused by "smart" devices App requiring a forced connection on 2.4 GHz (something virtually no wireless client can do), and by poor IoT wireless client implementations struggling about extended standard data like AX mode bits or RRM (radio resource management) bits in use for informing capable clients of neighboring access points for the same network.

@Benj3390 wrote:
...when u log in go to advanced settings then wireless settings and at the bottom it says enable AX with a check box beside it that is already checked i was told to uncheck this box and hit apply when it was done updating i was able to connect my devices that use 2.4ghz ...

...a typical example of an IoT WiFi client struggling on the AX bits, not on the concurrent 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz availability of the same network and SSID. Very useful 8-)

Message 29 of 49
parched
Initiate

did the foil thing and it work ... sigh

Message 30 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Foil for what? 

@parched wrote:

did the foil thing and it work ... sigh

Message 31 of 49
svinakollu
Aspirant

I see Guest SSID always connecting to 2.4ghz, I am able to connect to my IOTs those need 2.4ghz connection type.

Message 32 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 33 of 49
retromad
Star

Unplug your sats and put foil over the top of your router. Go to a far corner of your house and then boom! 2.4ghz only. This is because 5ghz is more sensitive to range and objects in the path of the signal. The foil screws up 5ghz more than 2.4 so you are basically blocking that frequency enough to force 2.4.
Message 34 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

And does reducing the power output of the 5Ghz radio on the MR have same effect? 

Message 35 of 49
retromad
Star

Probably, don't know/didn't try that.
Message 36 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be first suggestion to try. 

Message 37 of 49
retromad
Star

Why would I "try" some settings that I am not aware even exist and may not work vs something I know will work? If (random setting you should try) is/was a known good way to add 2.4 devices why is it not the top comment? I get you are trying to be helpful, however, unless you "know" a better way please stop.
Message 38 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

I guess you don't under stand what forums are for then. Forums have user experineces to offer. However it's up to you to try them. If not, then thats your choice. You'll need to contact NG support and ask for there help and information. No need to waste my time.

Good Luck. 

Message 39 of 49
JimShane
Guide

on 11-Apr-2021, retromad said "On Android you long press the wifi button on the top pulldown menu then press the connected network (your sid). The network band is listed on the second item labled frequency. It will say either 2.4ghz or 5ghz."

my reply to that, and my advice on this whole issue

i wish my phone would tell that, but my android does not.   One of the ways that I can tell is if my ChromeCast icon appears - then I know I am at 2.4.   (There are certain rooms in my house that connect at 2.4).   Also, if I go outside my stone house, and disconnect and reconnect using that WI-FI icon on my android, I will connect at 2.4.  Then I can come into my house and set up any smart plugs (which all use 2.4), or the Chromecast (which also uses 2.4).    I must have 50 different devices in my house - all the smartplugs use only 2.4 - I can't remember if the google speakers use 5.1 or not, but I know the Chromecast use 2.4.   My LG refrigerator and LG Washer and Dryer all use 2.4.  (But, I have found that each time, if I go outside - disconnect and reconnect - then I can do the setup).   And once it is set up, then I don't have to worry about the issue again.  (Except for Chromecast - which requires that I go out of the rooms that the televisions are in - until the Chromecast Icon appears on my phone (an interior stair case, my bedroom, or outside my house - then I can see the Chromecast icon - cast whatever it is I want to cast, then I can come back in my house and watch the show).

It wasn't me that discovered this - it was my teenagers.   I didn't believe them when they first told me. I spent hours trying to figure out why the chromecast button appears once in a while, but not usually.   They told me if they go upstairs  - then they can do it, then they come back downstairs.  I've been doing this for well over a year, and it always works.   In fact, I just installed a new chromecast on an attic tv - and the same thing.  I go out of the attic - down to my bedroom, then I can see the cast button, and then I can proceed.  

Strange, but true.

So regardless of what people tell you that this should happen or not, it does.  I have 4 teenagers - I lived through the whole covid thing with all of us on and off the network - and I have learned how to deal with this system - as awkward and strange as that answer is.  (I haven't tried the foil.  I think I will do that now to see if I have a foil lined box that I can put my phone in and access the tv from the room the tv is in.  

Message 40 of 49
JimShane
Guide

I just tried the aluminum foil lined box in my attic television (That doesn't work).   But, I did find out that when I go to my kitchen, I can also access the 2.4 network.   (I just have to make a map of the places inside my house that allow me to do this.).  So far - it is the stairway to the basement, the stairway to the attic, my bedroom, and the kitchen.  (I'm surprised by the kitchen, since I do have a satellite in there - maybe that was a quirkly thing - and I won't know whether I can consistently use it or not until I test it many times)

Message 41 of 49
mrdeuceturbo
Aspirant

Re: SOLVED Re: Nighthawk mesh MR60 - devices that require 2.4 GHz connection

Thank you so much worked for me...I turned off my 2 satellites and went into my garage. I connected all my smart outlets in there.

Message 42 of 49
sunspotmom
Aspirant

Because there is no security with the guest account. I wouldn't think you would want to use guest network to install devices.

Message 43 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a security setting for Guest Network on the MK system? 

@sunspotmom wrote:

Because there is no security with the guest account. I wouldn't think you would want to use guest network to install devices.

Message 44 of 49
Whyzer
Aspirant

First off shut off the nighthawk app. Access the router via a webpage, type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter. Username will be Admin and the password will either be password or 1234, hit enter and you'll connect to the router. It will force you to create a new password and put in some information. Once done you'll be able to see all the router settings.

You can really mess things up if you don't know what you're doing, if you do, reset your router.

At the top you'll see Basic/Advanced settings, go to Advanced. You'll see a category on the left WIFI- select it, by default they have the 2.4Ghz band just off, just enable it by hitting the check box next to it.

Save your settings and you should be able to connect to the items that require 2.4 Ghz network.

Message 45 of 49
sunspotmom
Aspirant

I was using the web browser on a PC.

Thanks, things are working fine. No upgrade for me I'll be getting starlink soon and see if I need anything.

Message 46 of 49

Our prayer have been heard! I'm guessing with the newest firmware update they added what they call "Customize Wifi Network". In there you can enable separate wifi profiles, one for 2.4GHz and another for 5GHz. Go to Advance > Advance Set Up > Customize Wifi Network. In there click on Customize 2.4Hz, set a network name, password. If you want another one for 5GHz scroll down and you will see the same option but for 5GHz. When you are done click apply and you will have specific Network profiles.

rikehsantiago_0-1658535698751.png 

rikehsantiago_1-1658535735397.pngrikehsantiago_2-1658535752428.png

Message 47 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 48 of 49
Dukestur
Aspirant

Actually the way suggested to determine which network bandwidth you are on does

work.  That is on Android devices use the pull down at top of screen and do as directed.  And one way to force the change to the other bandwidth is accomplished like you have achieved.  I do not know how to force it by some software button push which would be grander.  Such a feature would be real nice when using an optimizing mesh network that would continually attempt to move the phone back to 5 GHz.

Your kids solution does explains a lot to me about that Chromecast issue that I like you have.

An alternative solution applicable to the case of adding IOT devices might be to force the network to temporarily only ise the 2.4 GHz band when the manager, you/me, adds IOT devices.  Then they can be found and added.  The router would be reset to use both bands after that.

Thank you for your help.

Message 49 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7