Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk mesh slow speed

markber
Tutor

Don't even get me started re support experience 😞

Assuming you're on wired backhaul, try remove the network cable to force WiFi backhaul, as there appears to be an issue with wired backhaul between the MR60 and MS60.

I was unable to get WiFi backhaul to work just by unplugging the network cable from the MS60 and rebooting (pulling the power cable), and ended up performing multiple factory resets, and 30:30:30 resets (using a paperclip, press the reset button and hold it for 30 secs, while still pressing the reset button with the paperclip, remove the power for 30 secs, while still holding the reset button with the paperclip plug the power back in and wait for 30 secs, then release paperclip) on the MR60 and MS60 to get them to connect via WiFi backhaul.  Another bug.

This has resolved the MS60 device list not populating issue in the Nighthawk App.

All signs point to wired backhaul 😞

Good luck getting Netgear to recognize this, let alone reproduce it on their own, let alone fix it.  I've sent countless debug logs, each time I'm told the logs don't capture the info they're looking for.  Another bug.

Message 51 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Are your MS directly connected to the MR or is there a LAN switch in between? If so, what is the Brand and model# of this switch?

What CAT version LAN cables are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

@markber wrote:

Don't even get me started re support experience 😞

Assuming you're on wired backhaul, try remove the network cable to force WiFi backhaul, as there appears to be an issue with wired backhaul between the MR60 and MS60.

I was unable to get WiFi backhaul to work just by unplugging the network cable from the MS60 and rebooting (pulling the power cable), and ended up performing multiple factory resets, and 30:30:30 resets (using a paperclip, press the reset button and hold it for 30 secs, while still pressing the reset button with the paperclip, remove the power for 30 secs, while still holding the reset button with the paperclip plug the power back in and wait for 30 secs, then release paperclip) on the MR60 and MS60 to get them to connect via WiFi backhaul.  Another bug.

This has resolved the MS60 device list not populating issue in the Nighthawk App.

All signs point to wired backhaul 😞

Good luck getting Netgear to recognize this, let alone reproduce it on their own, let alone fix it.  I've sent countless debug logs, each time I'm told the logs don't capture the info they're looking for.  Another bug.

Message 52 of 79
markber
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are your MS directly connected to the MR or is there a LAN switch in between? If so, what is the Brand and model# of this switch?

What CAT version LAN cables are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

A better question would have been .. did your current setup ever work with wired backhaul?

My answer would have been: It sure did! 

Something changed in a firmware update some versions back, that broke this.  I have rolled back to versions up to and including V1.0.6.110, but that did not solve the problem .. so I'm guessing it was a firmware version prior to that.

To answer your question:

MS60 has been connected to the MR60 via Netgear gigabit switch (GS305) using Cat 5e UTP cables.  I have also tried connecting the MS60 directly to the MR60 via both Cat 5e and Cat 6 UTP .. makes no difference.

Message 53 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

So ff the configuration worked before, what changed? FW update? 

What version of FW had it been working on?

Message 54 of 79
markber
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So ff the configuration worked before, what changed? FW update? 

What version of FW had it been working on?

Was none of this clear with my previous response?

All worked fine before a firmware update.  Nothing changed on my side other than firmware updates.

As previously mentioned, I rolled back to versions up to and including V1.0.6.110, but didn't go back further .. so I'm guessing it was prior to that. 

Message 55 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Try going back prior to that? 

@markber wrote:

Was none of this clear with my previous response?

All worked fine before a firmware update.  Nothing changed on my side other than firmware updates.

As previously mentioned, I rolled back to versions up to and including V1.0.6.110, but didn't go back further .. so I'm guessing it was prior to that. 

Message 56 of 79
markber
Tutor

More weeks have passed, more support folks involved, more custom debug firmwares, and debug logs provided, and yet Netgear are still unable to confirm whether or not they've been able to identify the root cause, let alone provide a fix.

It does seem like there's something amiss with the underlying MS60 network stack.

After battling to get the MS60 to connect via WiFi backhaul - see prior messages about 30:30:30 resets and factory resets - once this finally worked, plugging in a network cable (Cat 5e vs Cat 6 UTP does not make a difference) to enable wired backhaul, the issue mysteriously appears to be solved i.e. 5Ghz devices that are connected to the MS60 are now connecting at full speed.

It did require a reboot of the MS60 and switch, to get wired backhaul to work, as the switchover from WiFi backhaul to wired backhaul didn't work automatically by just plugging in the network cable.

This was performed using the latest firmware 1.0.6.116.

The MS60 attached devices list in the Nighthawk app is still not populating when connected via wired backhaul. 

And the most recent version of the Nighthawk app is broken i.e. won't connect to the MR60.  One needs to reinstall the app, and only then does connecting to the MR60 work the first time, but fails to connect on subsequent attempts.  How this passed any formal QA testing is baffling.

One shouldn't have to go through this much effort to get these devices to work, let alone the ridiculous amount of hours going around and around in circles troubleshooting with Netgear support folks and engineering team, with no clear path in sight to a resolution.

Message 57 of 79
markber
Tutor

I asked for an update from the Netgear Engineering team re these issues:

1. MS60 network stack issues that prevents the MS60 from switching from wired to WiFI backhaul, and allowing devices to connect at speeds greater than 70 Mbps when connected via wired backhaul
2. MS60 not showing the list of attached devices in the NH app while connected to the MR60 via wired backhaul
3. NH app not connecting to the MR60 following initial setup of the NH app

The response I received is:

" This seems to be just a physical connection problem and has nothing to do with the firmware."

Can't help be flabbergasted 😞

After spending over 100 hours troubleshooting the wired vs. WiFi backhaul issues, installing debug firmware, capturing debug logs etc .. it seems like this was all for nothing 😞

The fact that so many other cutomers on this thread and others have experienced the exact same issue as #1, can't all be because of "physical connection problems".  Seems like a copout from the Engineering team 😞

And issues #2 and #3 also can't be due to "physical connection problems"

None of these issues occured around a year ago .. and as previously mentioned .. nothing has changed in my setup.  The only thing that has changed is firmware.

I'm sad to this, but I give up trying to help Netgear on these issues ... since it's clear that they don't care about customers.

Message 58 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you go back to v1.0.0.56 on both MS and MR. Factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser to do all this?

Message 59 of 79
edrios
Star

Message 60 of 79
edrios
Star

I currently have a cable modem providing 1 Gig down and 40 Mbps up. I get 760 Mbps down and 42 Mbps up wirelessly on the MK60 router. I used the settings below, but also be aware that this speed test was done with a Wi-Fi 6 capable (802.11ax) cell phone. Results can vary with your client device. 

Here are my settings:
SETUP > WIRELESS SETUP > WIRELESS SETTINGS:

5 Ghz Channel: 36

ADVANCED SETUP > WIRELESS SETTINGS

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistance: checked

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING: checked

Enable AX: checked

Message 61 of 79
Jrelson
Aspirant

If its any consolation, the MR80 is just as crappy. Im returning it as soon as I can. I guess the Nighthawk side of the house forgot how to make networking gear. Pretty bad when xfinity speeds are better. Netgear...do better. Loosing customers right and left.
Message 62 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting this. Yes, client side HW will define how wireless speed test results do. Normally 2x2 MIMO devices top out at around 500-700Mbps. 4x4 devices can up up to 1000Mpbs and beyond. 

@edrios wrote:

I currently have a cable modem providing 1 Gig down and 40 Mbps up. I get 760 Mbps down and 42 Mbps up wirelessly on the MK60 router. I used the settings below, but also be aware that this speed test was done with a Wi-Fi 6 capable (802.11ax) cell phone. Results can vary with your client device. 

Here are my settings:
SETUP > WIRELESS SETUP > WIRELESS SETTINGS:

5 Ghz Channel: 36

ADVANCED SETUP > WIRELESS SETTINGS

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistance: checked

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING: checked

Enable AX: checked

Message 63 of 79
Bsbll4Ryn
Aspirant

Hello,

I have a similar problem as others have mentioned.  I'm using an MK63S Mesh System with two satelites.  My Nighthawk app and my ISP's tests show 480 MB/s (I'm only paying them for 400) at the router, but a Speedtest on my PC shows <180.  I'm upstairs from the router, running an 3' ethernet cable from the Satelite to my PC.

I've gone as far as upgrading the ethernet cable and installing a new Gigabit Network Adapter card, as well as trying a 1300 MB/s Wireless USB WiFi Adapter.  Neither solution has improved the test speeds beyond 180 MB/s.  I'm tired of throwing money at this problem.  Please help.

Thanks

Message 64 of 79

@Bsbll4Ryn wrote:

Hello,

I have a similar problem as others have mentioned.  I'm using an MK63S Mesh System with two satelites.  My Nighthawk app and my ISP's tests show 480 MB/s (I'm only paying them for 400) at the router, but a Speedtest on my PC shows <180.  I'm upstairs from the router, running an 3' ethernet cable from the Satelite to my PC.

I've gone as far as upgrading the ethernet cable and installing a new Gigabit Network Adapter card, as well as trying a 1300 MB/s Wireless USB WiFi Adapter.  Neither solution has improved the test speeds beyond 180 MB/s.  I'm tired of throwing money at this problem.  Please help.

Thanks

Same.  I should have returned this thing months ago when I first started having problems with it, which was the very first day I bought it.  It has been a monumental piece of junk.

Current problem is what has been reported on this thread.   I previously had 200mb speeds from my ISP.  The MK63 was mostly stable after updating and downgrading the firmware a million times and after months of troubleshooting and being stuck at 80mb, it finally started providing up to 200mb.   

Yesterday I upgraded to a 400mb plan.  I ran a speedtest from my laptop and was still getting around 180mb.  I then logged into the MK63's router through its web interface and tried a speedtest there and it hit 400mb.  Tried again on my laptop which is connected via 5G and is wifi 6 enabled and again got just under 200.  I then tried on my desktop which is physically connected by wire to one of the satellites and it's getting 400mb.    I then tried a few other devices that are connected via wireless and none of them are getting over 200mb.  But the router itself and the PC that's hardwired to a satellite are fine.

Basically, none of my wireless devices are getting more than 200mb from this piece of junk system.  Is wifi somehow capped to 200mb on this product?  Because that's what it seems like.  

Message 65 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

@Bsbll4Ryn wrote:

Hello,

What speeds do you see when connected at the MR? 

Thanks

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a full power OFF of the ISP Modem and MESH system for 1 minute or longer then back ON been perfomed? 
Message 66 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@guitarman3001 wrote:

Same.  I should have returned this thing months ago when I first started having problems with it, which was the very first day I bought it.  It has been a monumental piece of junk.

Current problem is what has been reported on this thread.   I previously had 200mb speeds from my ISP.  The MK63 was mostly stable after updating and downgrading the firmware a million times and after months of troubleshooting and being stuck at 80mb, it finally started providing up to 200mb.   

Yesterday I upgraded to a 400mb plan.  I ran a speedtest from my laptop and was still getting around 180mb.  I then logged into the MK63's router through its web interface and tried a speedtest there and it hit 400mb.  Tried again on my laptop which is connected via 5G and is wifi 6 enabled and again got just under 200.  I then tried on my desktop which is physically connected by wire to one of the satellites and it's getting 400mb.    I then tried a few other devices that are connected via wireless and none of them are getting over 200mb.  But the router itself and the PC that's hardwired to a satellite are fine.

Has a full power OFF of the ISP Modem and MESH system for 1 minute or longer then back ON been perfomed? 

Basically, none of my wireless devices are getting more than 200mb from this piece of junk system.  Is wifi somehow capped to 200mb on this product?  Because that's what it seems like.  

Message 67 of 79
FLJ22
Aspirant

Wireless and hardwired speeds. Provisioned for 400 Mbps down 20 Mbps UP from Isp. Get full speed hardwire to modem and router. However wirelessly getting 67 Mbps from router to mutiple devices and 100 Mbps to satelites wired and hard wire a little less. Only had the system hooked up for 6 days have made multiple calls and tickets. Have reset and resetup multiple times. Firmware updated but still no solution.

Message 68 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming if seen on the MR, and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 69 of 79
markber
Tutor

If you read my previous posts, there appears to be an issue with the underlying network stack on these MS60 devices, which Netgear support / engineering refuse to recognize.

How I was able to get past the ~70 Mbps cap with wired backhaul was to force WiFi backhaul, and then revert back to wired backhaul. 

On my MS60, it wasn't as simple as just unplugging the network cable from the MS60 and rebooting (pulling the power cable). 

Had to perform multiple factory resets, and 30:30:30 resets (using a paperclip, press the reset button and hold it for 30 secs, while still pressing the reset button with the paperclip, remove the power for 30 secs, while still holding the reset button with the paperclip plug the power back in and wait for 30 secs, then release paperclip) on the MR60 AND MS60 to get them to connect via WiFi backhaul.

Once the MS60 connected to the MR60 via WiFi backhaul .. like magic .. there was no longer a ~70 Mbps cap for devices connected to the MS60.

I then rebooted my switch - just to be safe - plugged in the network cable to the MS60 .. verified the connection to the MR60 via wired backhaul was 1000 Mbps .. and problem solved i.e. devices connected to the MS60 via WiFi are connecting at 1Gbps speeds now without issue.

Message 70 of 79
FLJ22
Aspirant

How do you manually change the wireless channels on the  MR60 and each satelite??

Message 71 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

You can change channels on the MR under Basic Tab/Wireless settings. This sets the MR and the MS as well. 

Message 72 of 79
markber
Tutor

"2. MS60 not showing the list of attached devices in the NH app while connected to the MR60 via wired backhaul"

This issue has finally been resolved in firmware 1.1.6.124

Nuts that it's taken 6 months 😞

Message 73 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 74 of 79
Sablagh61
Tutor

My slow speed has not improved. I have a Gig service and I still don’t get more than 400mbps 5 feet away
Message 75 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7