Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Rax120 - MK63: want to use the router on MK63 as a satellite or extender

Cbass1122
Aspirant

Rax120 - MK63: want to use the router on MK63 as a satellite or extender

My house is about 4000 sq ft and the fiber modem is outside mounted on the garage with the fiber cables running to the router in the basement, which drives me crazy. Would make this much easier if it were in the middle. I set up my smart home with over 52 devices connected to Wi-Fi at all times. I’m currently using the RAX120 router in the basement with one extender near the steps (25 feet away). I have another router on the main floor connected via fiber Ethernet (Amplifi mesh) and 3 mesh points spread throughout the main and 3rd floors. My question is, would it be best to buy the MK63 mesh (router + 2 satellites) and use them with the RAX120 (assuming I can use the mesh router as a satellite) OR should I just get one or two nighthawk extenders to boost the signal throughout the house? Also have google Wi-Fi I’m not using, but could maybe use those satellites with my router? Thanks
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cbass1122, 

You can certainly use this setup but keep in mind that you will need to set the MK60 units into access point mode. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 10
Cbass1122
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. That’s kind of what I was planning on doing, but just the router has to be converted to an access point, right?
Also, I don’t need to directly connect the MK60 router to the RAC120 via Ethernet, right?

I assume the mesh Set up is a better option than getting an extender or two?

Thanks again for the help.
Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Cbass1122 wrote:
Thank you for your reply. That’s kind of what I was planning on doing, but just the router has to be converted to an access point, right?

To make an AP system out of thr Nightawk Mesh system, yes.

@Cbass1122 wrote:
Also, I don’t need to directly connect the MK60 router to the RAC120 via Ethernet, right?

Of course you do - it's not yet another wireless extender or repeater ...

@Cbass1122 wrote:
I assume the mesh Set up is a better option than getting an extender or two?

Seriously - install a bunch of network cables, ideall in a star configuration from the router to each floor and each place where you consider to connect computers, TVs, or wireless access points. Less cost and effort than buying more and more wireless consumer boxes and kits - where none can make wonders. To many of these in your house already...

Sorry if this does sound not very popular. And it's not "compatible" to Netgears consumer business marketing too. Then you migh want to look into Netgear's Insight system...

Message 4 of 10
Cbass1122
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. Are you saying I should use the fiber connections throughout the house instead of adding mesh points or extenders all over the house? If so, the only problem is that I have 56 Hue Lights/LIFX lights and various other smart home devices that need to connect via Wi-Fi.

Also, if I have to connect the MK60 router to the RAX120 router, won’t that added step slow the internet speed a bit? I would love to Declutter and create a system that’s more streamline and simplified.

This wouldn’t be a problem if my router was able to be set up on the main level (2nd Floor). Thanks again for the feedback. I want to make sure I know what to do and that it makes sense before I buy another mesh system.
Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Cbass1122 wrote:
Are you saying I should use the fiber connections throughout the house instead of adding mesh points or extenders all over the house? If so, the only problem is that I have 56 Hue Lights/LIFX lights and various other smart home devices that need to connect via Wi-Fi.

Not sure what you designate as "fiber connections" in this context. Is there a kind of network wiring in the house where you have access to both ends?

From the performance and reliability view, using wireless is fine for a "last hop" network connectivity say for mobile devices, or the light control is fine. The point is that having two or more wireless hops from the router to the access point (the radio where the clients are connecting to) are adding latency, variable performance, ...  

@Cbass1122 wrote:
Also, if I have to connect the MK60 router to the RAX120 router, won’t that added step slow the internet speed a bit? I would love to Declutter and create a system that’s more streamline and simplified.

You don't want to operate the MR60/MS60 system in router mode, instead in wireless access point mode. Ethernet connections are always faster, more reliable, add less latency than any wireless technology.

@Cbass1122 wrote:
This wouldn’t be a problem if my router was able to be set up on the main level (2nd Floor). 

For the possible wireless coverage this would help a lot, being for the possible coverage from the RAX120, being from the ability to add Mesh extenders, or wireless connected Mesh like the Amplifi.

Best would be having network cables installed to selected, many, or all rooms, operate the router and a switch downstairs (most wife acceptance), and deploy wireless access points in various areas of your house (ideally PoE driven). You can even install small switches in a room where yor multimedia stuff is located, in a home office, ...

Message 6 of 10
Cbass1122
Aspirant

Sorry, the modem is outside of the garage, mounted to the wall. In the utility closet in the basement there are about 6-7 orange Ethernet cables from the modem. One is for the internet and connects to the router. The others are for any room in the house that has an Ethernet/fiber connect in the wall. I refer to them as fiber because that’s what Century Link called them.

Thanks for your help. Although, I’m probably going to have to look up some of the things you said, as I don’t yet have a full grasp on the proper terminology.

Thanks
Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Cbass1122 wrote:
In the utility closet in the basement there are about 6-7 orange Ethernet cables from the modem. One is for the internet and connects to the router. The others are for any room in the house that has an Ethernet/fiber connect in the wall.

This is the killer argument: Head for a Netgear Insight installation - scratch any consumer Mesh ideas! 

When I get things right (Switzerland is far away from CenturyLink) the CenturyLink modem connecting to a fiber ONT, it isn't really a modem, but a router. Using own routers instead would require VLAN configs for the WAN ... to much for most home and SOHO users. Double check this with CenturyLink please (and dont shoot my when my source was wrong).

All you need to add is a Insight PoE or better PoE+ switch to be installed in the utility, and a few Insight Wireless access points - take a WAC540 in the living room, and probably some other central located room in the house, where you need less bandwidth (garden, hobbyroom, ...) a WAC505 does it.

Can't be easier!

Message 8 of 10
Cbass1122
Aspirant

I have my Netgear RAX120 connected to the ONT box with Century Links approval and assistance to do so (they needed to supply a password for the set up).

I’ll have to look up the device and suggestion you’ve submitted, as I’m not familiar. However, I work from home and have a ton of smart home devices that need to connect to the 2.4G Wi-Fi in order to function as a smart home. If your suggestion still accomplishes that, I may have to take your advice. Thanks
Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Yoy can keep the RAX120 if you desperatley want - I'm not a big fan of Netgear's consumer routers due to hmmmm you figure out yorself. The value of a WiFi router hidden in the underground is limited as you already discovered. WiFi performance and reliability comes form direct lineof sight, proably the next room unless some building materials are prohibiting - and not from a central "top of breed" WiFi router. Wrong approach ....

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7