× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Router admin IP changed from 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.1

mercat68
Aspirant

Router admin IP changed from 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.1

About a week ago, I found that the admin panel for this MESH system had changed from the original 192 address to 10.0.0.1 (on its own). Is this normal behavior? Thanks.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Router admin IP changed from 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.1

@mercat68 wrote:

About a week ago, I found that the admin panel for this MESH system had changed from the original 192 address to 10.0.0.1 (on its own).

It is a sign that you may have a modem that is also a router as your Internet connection.

What modem do you have as an Internet connection?

During the setup phase the router, your MR60, looks for local network connections as it tries to setup its own IP address on the network.

By default, the new router wants to use 192.168.1.1 as its local IP address. (192.168.0.1 is the address that many modem/routers go for.) If it finds another router it will go for something else, 10.0.0.1 is a regular fallback.

So, yes, it is normal behaviour, but it is a bad idea. You can end up with network issues.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The usual advice is to see if you can put the modem into bridge (modem only) mode. Your router will then be happy to use 192.168.1.1.

If the network is running without any problems you can just live with it, but you never know what might happen in future. One recent visitor to this place found that they had unknowingly created a double NAT network. Their printer could talk to the modem/router, but not the main router. So the printer didn't work on the network until they unravelled the conflicting IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies

@mercat68 wrote:

About a week ago, I found that the admin panel for this MESH system had changed from the original 192 address to 10.0.0.1 (on its own).

It is a sign that you may have a modem that is also a router as your Internet connection.

What modem do you have as an Internet connection?

During the setup phase the router, your MR60, looks for local network connections as it tries to setup its own IP address on the network.

By default, the new router wants to use 192.168.1.1 as its local IP address. (192.168.0.1 is the address that many modem/routers go for.) If it finds another router it will go for something else, 10.0.0.1 is a regular fallback.

So, yes, it is normal behaviour, but it is a bad idea. You can end up with network issues.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The usual advice is to see if you can put the modem into bridge (modem only) mode. Your router will then be happy to use 192.168.1.1.

If the network is running without any problems you can just live with it, but you never know what might happen in future. One recent visitor to this place found that they had unknowingly created a double NAT network. Their printer could talk to the modem/router, but not the main router. So the printer didn't work on the network until they unravelled the conflicting IP addresses.

Message 2 of 11
mercat68
Aspirant

Ah, thank you @michaelkenward, that makes sense. My broadband is via a fixed wireless network in the area. Comes through a small dish on my roof and ultimately to a MikroTik access point before going into my Netgear router. When I had this installed years ago, I recall them doing something to allow me to use my own router (probably putting it in bridge mode, as you suggest?). Last week, I was having connection issues and they remotely enabled the access point for me to use as part of testing. Guess they forgot to put it back into bridge mode?

Message 3 of 11

@mercat68 wrote:

Comes through a small dish on my roof and ultimately to a MikroTik access point before going into my Netgear router.

That may explain the unexpected 192.168.0.1 IP address.

When I had this installed years ago, I recall them doing something to allow me to use my own router (probably putting it in bridge mode, as you suggest?). Last week, I was having connection issues and they remotely enabled the access point for me to use as part of testing.

The solution depends on what problems, if any, you have and what you want the router to do.

If the only symptom is that address change, you can probably carry on as you are.

If you do have problems, then bridge mode might be suitable, however that works on the  MikroTik access point. That's a new brand on me, and hard to investigate without a model number.

Another option is to put your MR60 into access point (AP) mode. But then you hit this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If that disables something that you use, bridge mode might be the best way forward.

Message 4 of 11
mercat68
Aspirant

Thanks. This is the access point they use: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB941-2nD-TC

Message 5 of 11

@mercat68 wrote:

Thanks. This is the access point they use: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB941-2nD-TC

Neat little box.

I can see no manual that has details about using bridge mode. But you may find something if you dive into the entrails of what they call the OS.

One thought, have you ever tried plugging the Internet cable into your MR60 rather than their router?

Message 6 of 11
mercat68
Aspirant

Hmm. I’lll ask them about that. I’ve never tried it directly, but I think that’s because they set it up this way when they installed it and I never questioned it. I’ll check and let you know.

Message 7 of 11

You will need to find out what details they put into the Internet Setup slot in the MR60.

There aren't that many things to play with.

But it all works as expected, maybe best left alone. ISPs hate it when people muck about on their networks.

Message 8 of 11
mercat68
Aspirant

Just to close the loop on this, the ISP had taken their access point out of bridge mode during the recent troubleshooting. I asked them to restore bridge mode, which they did, and I did a complete reset of the Netgear system to get it back on 192.168.1.1. All working fine now. I asked about bypassing their access point and going directly to my router. They said I could do that but it would leave them blind (i.e., they would have no way to diagnose/troubleshoot problems). So, I'll leave things as-is. Appreciate all the help here.

Message 9 of 11

@mercat68 wrote:

I asked about bypassing their access point and going directly to my router. They said I could do that but it would leave them blind (i.e., they would have no way to diagnose/troubleshoot problems). So, I'll leave things as-is.

Probably a good move if you are happy to have an ISP keeping an eye on things.

Most of the people who hang around here would run a mile from that situation. They would also try to remove any extraneous kit from their networks. One router rather than two is simpler to manage and troubleshoot once you know what is going on.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series