Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Slow wireless speed MR60

KaraBond
Tutor

Slow wireless speed MR60

Hi,

I am looking for some help as I am getting really slow wireless speeds from my MR60 mesh wifi.

We are in the UK we have OFNL fibre broadband provided by Ashford, up to 900mbps.

We then have a MR60 router connected to the OFNL modem, the MR60 receives around 550mbps. We also have a MS60 satellite in another room connected wirelessly, both of which are downstairs.

When I am standing next to the router I get around 100mbps when using the OFNL speed test on my iPhone, as soon as I move away the speed starts to drop and even when standing next to the satellite we struggle to get above 25mbps downstairs. Upstairs we struggle to get even that: 

KaraBond_0-1666776715374.png

Wired to the router or wired to the LAN cabling (which is fed back into from the router) I get 315mbps.

I have checked all the things I can think to like firmware updates etc. but admittedly I am a novice at this sort of thing so could anyone point me in towards anything else I can try or do to improve the speeds?

Thanks,

Kara

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@KaraBond wrote:

Wired to the router I get:

KaraBond_0-1666968413286.png

Ok so we know wired is GOOD.

I have 27 devices connected wirelessly at the minute, that is made up of a mixture of:

multiple iPhones & MacBooks (5GHz), a PC (5GHz), several Apple HomePods (5GHz), Ring security devices (2.4 GHz), tvs (5 GHz), washing machine (2.5GHz), 3 sky boxes (satellite tv).

We have 1 MS, however almost everything is showing as connected to the MR, anything connected to the satellite is on 2.4 GHz.

Wired: Philips hue bridge, Tado bridge, ring bridge, sky master box.

Are there any specific wifi settings do you want? 

2.4GHz channel is set to auto, 5GHz is set to 44, and its using WPA2-Personal security.

Try channel 1 and 40 on the MR. 

I don't understand this question: Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Do you have home neighbors near by with wifi signals? 

- our sky boxes have their own wifi network, otherwise there are no other wifi networks in the area. What happens if you turn these sky boxes and all bridged OFF? I'd turn off all wireless devices and test with just one Iphone or pad with the MR and see if speeds are still low. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Be sure that when your near the MS, to disable the wifi radio on your mobile device for 5 seconds then back ON, so that the device connects to the MS and wasn't still connected to the MR. Some devices will not disconnect from the farther signal thus giving you a false speed result. 

Message 2 of 15
KaraBond
Tutor

Current Firmware: V1.1.6.122

Modem Mfr: Icotera 

Moden Model: i5205-02

All of the cables are CAT6.

Our home is just under 2k sq ft, I honestly don't know the distance, but they are at opposite sides of the house. 

We have tried disconnecting from the wifi and reconnecting when near the satellites and we are not seeing any speed improvement.

Message 3 of 15
mnzs-blen
Aspirant

Firstly there’s a firmware update available and latest version as of now is V1.1.7.132.

Please update in a order to update the MS 🛰️ first and lastly the MR 📡

Once firmware update is done, I would suggest, please move the setting in MR60 to work in AP mode..
Advanced tab: Advanced setup>WirelessAP>Enable AP Mode

Choose IP Address: Get dynamically from existing router

Click ‘apply’ bottom right.

Let me know how it goes.
All the way from 🇮🇳
Message 4 of 15
KaraBond
Tutor

Thanks for the info, I was checking and it was saying no firmware update available but I manually updated them.

I made the additional change you suggested and it never reconnected, I ended up having to reset the router back to factory settings and then setting it up again.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 15
KaraBond
Tutor

The issue isn't resolved, I have not seen any performance improvement since the firmware update, and thats the only thing that I have done so far that hasn't totally crashed the whole wifi.

If there are any other suggestions then I'd love to hear them, alternatively I will have to go and invest in another router as getting 25mbps is far from acceptable imo.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So what are the wired speed seen at the MR with a PC and ooklas installable speed test app on a pc? 

What wireless devices do you have connected? 

How is the wifi settings configured? 

What channels are being used? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Do you have 1 or two MS deployed? 

Message 8 of 15
KaraBond
Tutor

I have 27 devices connected wirelessly at the minute, that is made up of a mixture of:

multiple iPhones & MacBooks (5GHz), a PC (5GHz), several Apple HomePods (5GHz), Ring security devices (2.4 GHz), tvs (5 GHz), washing machine (2.5GHz), 3 sky boxes (satellite tv).

We have 1 MS, however almost everything is showing as connected to the MR, anything connected to the satellite is on 2.4 GHz.

2.4GHz channel is set to auto, 5GHz is set to 44, and its using WPA2-Personal security.

I don't understand this question: Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? - our sky boxes have their own wifi network, otherwise there are no other wifi networks in the area.

Message 9 of 15
mnzs-blen
Aspirant

That’s lot many devices wirelessly connected.
Bandwidth of 1800mbps is MR and MS capacity. This will get distributed to various devices. I would recommend to do the speedtest connecting just one wireless device on 5Ghz.

Also, MS uses same wifi as backhaul to connect MR and there’s no dedicated wireless backhaul connection hence drop in speed when connected so MS is expected.

Orbi mesh systems has dedicated wireless backhaul connection to the main router.
Message 10 of 15
mnzs-blen
Aspirant

Too many wifi networks in the neighbourhood will create interface to the wifi signal that in turn will create confusion in the network hence there are channels 1 to 13 in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz has 161+ depending on the country that you have selected in the router.

Network channel interference due to crowded wifi networks in your neighbourhood can be viewed on a android Nighthawk app but not on iOS !!
Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@KaraBond wrote:

Ok so we know wired is GOOD.

Try channel 1 and 40 on the MR. 

I don't understand this question: Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Do you have home neighbors near by with wifi signals? 

- our sky boxes have their own wifi network, otherwise there are no other wifi networks in the area. What happens if you turn these sky boxes and all bridged OFF? I'd turn off all wireless devices and test with just one Iphone or pad with the MR and see if speeds are still low. 

Message 12 of 15
mnzs-blen
Aspirant

A quick reboot will fix the channel or wifi interference issue.

One device connected to wifi should give the speed you’re seeing on wire.
Message 13 of 15
KaraBond
Tutor

Thanks for the all the help both 😀

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7