Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

iOS Nighthawk App Doesn't Work Consistently when MK63 in Access Point Mode

sclawrenc
Apprentice

iOS Nighthawk App Doesn't Work Consistently when MK63 in Access Point Mode

Hello everyone.

I am trying to choose the MK63 over the Asus XD4 Minis since I believe Netgear is one of the last consumer networking companies based in the US, but I'm running into some issues (listed below) that are making it tough for me to stick with the MK63. 

1. The Nighhawk App will not detect the MK63 system most of the time when using the MK63 in Access Point mode on my iPhone 12.  It does detect it every now and then, but it usually doesn't.  I'm on the latest firmware v1.0.112_2.0.52 on the router and satellites. This is not ideal since I cannot look at the app to see who is connected to what band nor can I easily pause devices.
  2. I would like to be able enable a mixed WPA3/WPA2 mode, but I don't see that ability.
  3. I've read that this system doesn't support the upstream and downstream OFDMA; it only supports the downstream.  Is that true?  What else is missing from the 802.11ax standard on the MK63?
  4. I would also like the ability to split the SSID up for the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands since some of my devices just want to go with the strongest signal instead of the fastest one.  This is not a must, but it would be nice.  For example, I have a Roku TV in the garage that will sometimes pick the more powerful, but slower, 2.4Ghz signal even when I know that the 5Ghz signal is faster and available with at least good signal.
  5. It also seems the MK63 doesn't receive very frequent firmware updates whereas the Asus Minis have them at least every 2-3 months.  In fact, in order for me to upgrade to the latest firmware listed above, I had to manually update since the automatic check stated no new firmware was available. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

S

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7