Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

0New R8500 Router - Horribly Slow Connections

mocsab
Aspirant

0New R8500 Router - Horribly Slow Connections

r - I just purchased and seutp a new NightHawk R8500 router. I was using an ASUS router before but wanted something to handle my entire network - XBOX - UHD TV - etc.

WHile going trhough setup, I had a  horrible time getting the Router to connect to my cable modem. It just would not see the internet - I finally was able to get things setup and now have a connection - but it is almost as slow as an OLD DIAL UP connection. Page load times run around 30 seconds - its really insane.

I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.

I did install a firmware update as soon as I finished setting up the router - If I connect my COmputer direct to my cable modem, I get download speeds of around 60 mbs - when I try to run a speed test in the router settings (when attempting to turn on QOS - the speed test never even registers.

In addition -0 

I have tried to search for a solution - but it almost feels like the router is bound up and needs to take a sh.,... but can't.

Sorry - I am frustrated and don't know what to do - any suggestions - step by step explanations of things I can try would be greatly appreciated. 

(I did try turning off the router - and then turning it back on) I tested speeds directly on my cable modem and they are very fast - I thought this new Nighthawk router was going to be a rocket ship - but it;s running at a snail pace right now - (takes forever just to navigate thru the site to find the community here)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I double checked and I do have the latest firmware installed for this router - V1.0.2.80_1.0.71 (Nighthawk R8500)

thanks

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: 0New R8500 Router - Horribly Slow Connections

Try performing a factory reset.  Then set it up again by hand.  Don't restore settings from a backup file.  Start with minimal settings.  Set up basic Wi-Fi settings (SSID, WPA2, channel and password) and, if needed, adjustments to LAN settings.  

Don't turn on any other fancy features, like QoS, traffic metering, keyboard blocking.  Leave them all off for now.

If things still don't recover, try downgrading to the previous version of firmware and do another factory reset.

If you have a spare Ethernet cable, then try that, too.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Try performing a factory reset.  Then set it up again by hand.  Don't restore settings from a backup file.  Start with minimal settings.  Set up basic Wi-Fi settings (SSID, WPA2, channel and password) and, if needed, adjustments to LAN settings.  

Don't turn on any other fancy features, like QoS, traffic metering, keyboard blocking.  Leave them all off for now.

If things still don't recover, try downgrading to the previous version of firmware and do another factory reset.

If you have a spare Ethernet cable, then try that, too.

Message 2 of 3
mocsab
Aspirant

I reset the router last night before going to bed and when I got up this morning, my speeds were running at the normal speed I have been used to in the past - about 60mbs down and 5 to 7 MBS up.

I had reset the router (and the cable modem) several times when I was having trouble in the setup - but I guess maybe it just needed to settle in so to speak.

In any event, thanks for your prompt reply - it is appreciated, very much!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7