1.1.1.1 DNS not working on my R7800. Anyone hear of this?

shaunpyle
Aspirant

1.1.1.1 DNS not working on my R7800. Anyone hear of this?

I can't access websites or ping them if I set 1.1.1.1 as the primary DNS on my R7800. 

I'm fairly certain it's the router since if I use different servers, then change the DNS on my PC to 1.1.1.1, it works fine.

1.0.0.1 works though. 

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 2
myersw
Master

Re: 1.1.1.1 DNS not working on my R7800. Anyone hear of this?

So are you saying if you change the primary DNS on router to 1.0.0.1 it will work? That does not really make much sense as they are both the same DNS provider and this particular one claims to always have a server available.  

Besides setting the DNS for testing on your PC you can also use command line using nslookup. Would look like this:

C:\Users\billm>nslookup google.com 1.1.1.1
Server: one.one.one.one
Address: 1.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:4009:810::200e

That will tell you if the DNS server is working. If so and things work if you change the router primary DNS to 1.0.0.1 and that works makes no sense to me why 1.1.1.1 would not work. Maybe a finger check? Make sure in your testing that when you test on your PC you clear the local on PC DNS cache as that can give you false information for testing. PC will check local DNS cache first and not even use the router DNS for lookup if found locally. This will include a negative lookup response.  Can clear DNS cache this way. 

C:\Users\billm>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

You may already know the above, so sorry if it sounds like I don't think you know. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E