Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1 more hour and my last ever netgear purchase will be returned for a refund

shayne100
Aspirant

1 more hour and my last ever netgear purchase will be returned for a refund

Netgear Nighthawk R6260

I wasted several hours trying to set up this router yesterday before calling my providers technical support team who also wasted a couple of hours trying to work out why it will not connect . And today i've wasted another 4 hours .

My computer can find the router and so can my ipad but the router cannot find internet despite being plugged into British Telecom's home fibre network which is basically secured using an email address and password , is that ppeo or something i dont know because i speak english not dweebgeek . Regardless i'm getting nowhere .

Plug the ethernet cable into your modem - whats a modem if not a router - tech support says no you never plug a router into a router - ok so i plug the ethernet into the wall socket and nighthawk - now the set up wizard says cable not connected - so start again unlpug this and plug it into that any which way it can possibly fit - and repeat several hundred times - and fail . I forgot to mention httprouter login and 192.blahblahblah

So i'm asking here when i'm already at the end of my tether shall i send this back before i stamp on it or is there a secret somebody might share that makes it useable ?

Message 1 of 11
thehypnootoad
Luminary

Re: 1 more hour and my last ever netgear purchase will be returned for a refund

Your router needs a modem to connect to from the bt socket (rj11).Then ethernet from the modem to your router and then a password and username. Netgear supply router or all in one router/modem combo yours is just a router. You can pick up a huawei hg612 modem of ebay or amazon for 10-20 quid.
Message 2 of 11
shayne100
Aspirant

So i need 2 routers to replace the free one from my internet provider because netgear doesn't sell routers .

Thank you hypnootoad at least i know now i wasted about £50 and 10 hours of my life because netgear are not fit for purpose .

Disgraceful . Junk . Rip Off . DO NOT BUY NETGEAR !

Message 3 of 11
microchip8
Master

You seem to be confused. NETGEAR sells routers, modems and router/modem combos. If you have a pure router, it needs a modem to connect to. If you have a router/modem combo, you can connect it directly to the plug. Your R6260 is a pure router which needs a modem to connect to. You can use the modem or gateway of your ISP (if it's a gateway, set it to bridge mode) or you can buy an ISP approved modem from NETGEAR or other vendor at your choosing.

Message 4 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] my last ever netgear purchase [...]

Tell someone who cares?

> I wasted several hours [...]

So, as revenge, you're trying to waste other people's time?

> [...] despite being plugged into British Telecom's home fibre network
> [...]

"plugged in" _how_, exactly?  What, exactly did you connect to what,
exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of ports, then
"connected to device" is not enough detail.)

> [...] is that ppeo [...]

Is _what_?  PPPoE?  Ask your ISP?

> Plug the ethernet cable into your modem [...]

Says who?  Are you following some set of (invisible) instructions, or
what?

> [...] whats a modem if not a router [...]

A modem is a modem.  A router is a router.  "modem" and "router" are
spelled differently for a reason.  As its documentation says, an R6260
is a router.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(computing)

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read?

> [...] tech support says [...]

_Whose_ "tech support"?

> [...] i plug the ethernet into the wall socket [...]

The non-psychics in your audience might have no read idea what's
behind your "the wall socket".  Details like that might matter.

"the ethernet"?  A cable has two ends.  For each cable, what,
exactly, does it connect to what, exactly?  (See "Hint", above.)

> [...] and fail . [...]

"fail" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] is there a secret somebody might share [...]

One of us who knows something about the service which you're getting
from BT might reveal more about it than "British Telecom's home fibre
network".

> [...] something i dont know because i speak english not dweebgeek .
> Regardless i'm getting nowhere .

If you expect to configure your own networking equipment without
learning anything about it, then I wouldn't expect you to get very far.
If you want to stay ignorant, then it might make more sense to let BT
supply the required gizmo(s), and let BT configure them for you.

> So i need 2 routers to replace the free one from my internet provider
> because netgear doesn't sell routers .

Not really, but, with my weak psychic powers, I have no idea what
"the free one" might be, making productive discussion tough.

Message 5 of 11

@shayne100 wrote:

My computer can find the router and so can my ipad but the router cannot find internet despite being plugged into British Telecom's home fibre network which is basically secured using an email address and password

BT usually provides some sort of box that connects you to the Internet. You may need to plug into that.

@shayne100 wrote:

Netgear Nighthawk R6260

As you have been told, that is a router. On its own its is useless.

Unfortunately, "home fibre network" doesn't tell us what sort of Internet you have.There's fibre somewhere in every "home network" connection. And BT uses the fibre term to try to persuade customers that they are getting something special. They aren't.

The most common technologies are DSL and Full Fibre, also known as or fibre to the premises or FTTP. 

BT's DSL customers usually get a HomeHub, a pile of rubbish that prevents you from using it on "modem only" mode.

BT has very few people on FTTP at the moment.

You'll have to tell people what sort of broadband you are on for better advice.

One guide to the technology you are on is the speed that BT promises to deliver.  The top speed for DSL is usually around 70 Mbps. FTTP could be a lot faster, up to 900Mbps.

If you haven't been there already, BT's user forum, its equivalent of this place, is a good place to start.

Welcome to BT’s official support community.

There are many more BT users there than you will find here, and plenty of them use Netgear kit. Try a search there for your device, or any Netgear router. The settings will be the same.

Message 6 of 11

@microchip8 wrote:

You can use the modem or gateway of your ISP (if it's a gateway, set it to bridge mode) or you can buy an ISP approved modem from NETGEAR or other vendor at your choosing.

Unfortunately, BT's Homehub, the devices they supply to DSL users, don't allow bridge mode. This annoys users who don't like to be tied to the Homehub, which is worth about what you pay for one, nothing. I have a couple still in their shrinkwrap.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most brands it seems, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem only devices. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. The prices are getting silly. But you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Netgear does sell modem/routers that you can put into modem only mode, the D6400 for example, but, as I have found, that can cause problems.

As it is, we still don't know what sort of Internet @shayne100 gets. (BT uses various technologies.) They seem to have dived into buying something without doing much research.

Message 7 of 11
Nortonio
Aspirant

Hi,

I've recently bought a Netgear nighthawk r8000 to replace my bt smart hub 2. I have FTTP and an openreach HG8110H box on the wall. I'm having a lot of trouble setting the new router up.

any advice please

Message 8 of 11

@Nortonio wrote:

I'm having a lot of trouble setting the new router up.

"A lot of trouble" could mean many things. It doesn't give us much to go on. 

I still think your best bet would be to follow the link I provided earlier:

Welcome to BT’s official support community.

There are many more BT users there than you will find here, and plenty of them use Netgear kit. Try a search there for your device, or any Netgear router. The settings will be the same.

Search - BT Community – Netgear fttp

For example:

Solved: Re: FTTP 910\110 - NetgearR7000 300Mbps download l... - BT Community

Message 9 of 11
Nortonio
Aspirant

thanks for the response. I have spent hours searching the BT community but still unresolved.
i thought the openreach huwauei HG8110H-20 was a modem, but i guess not. When the netgear router is plugged in to that, it shows in the wifi options but doesnt actually connect to the internet or allow any data to pass.

The best that i can understand is that i need a to put the bt smart hub 2 into bridge mode, which isn't available, or get anoother bt compatible router.

Message 10 of 11

@Nortonio wrote:

thanks for the response. I have spent hours searching the BT community but still unresolved.

Have you actually posted your own question on the BT Community? I have always found the people there useful and friendly. There will be many more BT FTTP users there than here.

This really isn't the place to continue this conversation – you have hijacked a different discussion which is against the rules – but the original questioner seem to have thrown their toys out of the pram and gone away.

You still have not told us anything about the problems you are having.

This doesn't get is much further.

@Nortonio wrote:

When the netgear router is plugged in to that, it shows in the wifi options but doesnt actually connect to the internet or allow any data to pass.

When setting up something, you can do it in several ways. With an app, over wifi, with a browser, wired. Each has its own prompts and error messages. Who knows what you are doing.

@Nortonio wrote:

i thought the openreach huwauei HG8110H-20 was a modem, but i guess not.

You don't need a modem if you are on FTTP. It comes with a box (ONT) that is the fibre equivalent of the  modem.

Do I need a modem for smart hub 2? - BT Community

As far as I can tell, BT also supplies a router that connects to the ONT. The BT Smart Hub 2 that you mention.

BT Smart Hub 2 (097683) | BT Shop

So, I assume that you want to use the R8000 instead of the BT Smart Hub 2.

How you need to set up the R8000 probably will depend on exactly how the Internet gets to you. The BT Smart Hub 2 handles " all access types – ADSL / FTTC / FTTP / G.fast".

There have been several discussions on the BT community along exactly the same lines as your problem. Here are two more:

FTTP Huawei Openreach ONT - New Build - Where wou... - BT CommunitySolved: Re:

New build house and position of BT hub - BT Community

@Nortonio wrote:

The best that i can understand is that i need a to put the bt smart hub 2 into bridge mode, which isn't available, or get anoother bt compatible router.

That is for DSL connections and as far as I know BT has never supplied a modem/router that you can put into bridge mode. (I have three of the things sitting in their original shrink wrap.)

Once again, this is all guesswork on my part based on your reluctance to explain whet you are doing and where things go wrong.

Looking at the specifications for the bt smart hub 2, I wonder what you want the R8000 to do.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7