Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.1 Network Map - Which one is Safer?

Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.1 Network Map - Which one is Safer?

I have a FIOS Modem connect to the wall via coax cable, and I also shut off the wireless feature of the  FIOS modem. I purchased a Netgear R8000 nighthawk router. Everything is working great.

I made a network map  to get a better view of my network, and I can see my FIOS router is on the 192.168.1.1, and my Netgear is on the 10.0.0.1 network, and I can also see that half of the devices are connected to 192.168.1.1 network, and the other half of the devices (whether wired or wireless)  are connected to the 10.0.0.1 network. My question is should I move everything to the 10.0.0.1 network or 192.168.1.1 network?

Is there any security issues I should be concerned with? Am I safer with all devices behind my new Netgear router?

I'm not sure what I should do. I did take one of my desktop computers that was on the 192.168.1.1 network and did  an ipconfig /release and renew to get in on the 10.0.0.1 network but the next time I rebooted in went back to the 192.168.1.1. Network.

Thanks for any help you can offer me. After making this map, I can see my network is a lot bigger than I thought.

I have eight hardwired devices and 14 wireless devices.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

The best approach would be to operate a single (W)LAN behind the Netgear R8000 router only, so there is no intermediate TCP/IP network managed by the FiOS modem/router. To make this happen, the FiOS modem/router must be reconfigured into a pure bridge - look ie. https://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplifyingYourNetworkWithABridgeMakingAnFIOsActionTecMI424WRANetwork...

The target is that the Netgear R8000 is the only device connected to the FiOS modem/router - all other devices are conncted to the R8000 LAN and WLAN only in any case. The communication through the router between the two network you have right now are limited and highly restricted, because the R8000 does handle the current 192 network of the FiOS router as a piece of the Internet. And should you want to permit incoming connections from the Internet to your LAN, ie. to a NAS, this will be much easier if the FiOS router does not act as an additional NAT device, the R8000 does not require a special configuration, and much more.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The best approach would be to operate a single (W)LAN behind the Netgear R8000 router only, so there is no intermediate TCP/IP network managed by the FiOS modem/router. To make this happen, the FiOS modem/router must be reconfigured into a pure bridge - look ie. https://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplifyingYourNetworkWithABridgeMakingAnFIOsActionTecMI424WRANetwork...

The target is that the Netgear R8000 is the only device connected to the FiOS modem/router - all other devices are conncted to the R8000 LAN and WLAN only in any case. The communication through the router between the two network you have right now are limited and highly restricted, because the R8000 does handle the current 192 network of the FiOS router as a piece of the Internet. And should you want to permit incoming connections from the Internet to your LAN, ie. to a NAS, this will be much easier if the FiOS router does not act as an additional NAT device, the R8000 does not require a special configuration, and much more.

Message 2 of 3
Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7