Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4 speed is horrible...no matter what. Even new Hawk 6 - HELP

TripFlip
Tutor

2.4 speed is horrible...no matter what. Even new Hawk 6 - HELP

So, I had a Netgear 6200 and the 5ghz blazed at 70-90mbps.  The 2.4ghz would get 1-5 normally.  Then, if I would reset it or change channels, I would get 30-50 on the 2.4 for a few minutes, a couple hours, a couple days...never knew.  Then it would be back to SLOW. 

So, today I got a knighthawk 6....and it's doing hte same thing.  I changed to channel 11 per Inssider.  I unplugged almost everything in my house that could be causing it.  Within 10 feet, it's 50mpbs, move 12 and it drops to 10...move 30ft and it's 3-5mpbs. 

I'm so pissed off that I can't figure this out!  Anyone, PLEASE HELP, this has been such a frustrating few weeks trouble shooting and trying to see what is going on???!!!

This is something that has always been there, but I mainly use the 5ghz.  Now, i have a bunch of IP cams, and they like the 2.4...and it's killing them with such a slow speed.  Plus, any of the other devices that actually use 2.4 barely work....It's so frustrating and amplified lately

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TripFlip
Tutor

Re: 2.4 speed is horrible...no matter what. Even new Hawk 6 - HELP

I think I finally found the interference....there was a wireless extender built into a device upstairs.  With this OFF, works great (so far), with it on, it tanks.  I never thought a wireless extender could be the issue...

So far, case closed....I will report back in a couple days if it stays working properly.  FINGERS CROSSED!!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Since you are seeing this problem with two different routers, we can probably rule out faulty hardware.  That leaves two possibilities:

1. The network is slow due to congestion

You did the right thing by using a tool like inSSIDer to find the least congested channel, but unless the channel is completely unused, you still have to share airtime with devices on other networks on the same channel.  You mentioned that the slow network is killing your IP cameras.  Have you considered the possibility that your IP cameras are killing the network?  Perhaps they are generating too much traffic for the network to handle, or maybe they are using an older, less efficient Wi-Fi protocol, like 802.11b or 802.11g.  The presence of devices using these older protocols can slow down the network for everyone.  Try turning them off and see how the network performs.

2. The network is slow due to noise

Noise is any radio signal that disrupts communication on a Wi-Fi channel.  These include, but are not limited to, cordless telephones, baby monitors, Bluetooth devices, wireless keyboards and mice, satellite receivers and even microwave ovens.  Find and eliminate those sources, if possible.  Wi-Fi networks on adjacent, overlapping channels are also considered noise.  With your network on channel 11, networks on channels 9 and 10 will overlap and disrupt yours.  Each network and devices joined to it is like a group of friends sitting at a table in a restaurant.  When tables are too close together, everybody ends up shouting and repeating themselves.
Message 2 of 4
TripFlip
Tutor

1- It was actually doing it before the cameras, but I did fully unplug them all and recheck...same issues.  TV WIFI is off, phones unplugged, cams off, blue tooth devices off...same issue.

2- I don't really have anything near that or in the area where the speed drops.  It drops within 12 feet.  I even moved all of the ADT alarm Glass breaks from that area testing.

I understand the channel issue, but aren't you always going to have overlapping channels?  None of the channels near 11 are being used according to the scanners I have used.  I only have 1 neighbor next to me, and 2 across the street.  I don't have a ton of people near by.

Are there any settings in the device I can try? Should I try moving it?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply, I know there isn't a magical answer....I'm hoping some idea pops up ha ha.  

Message 3 of 4
TripFlip
Tutor

I think I finally found the interference....there was a wireless extender built into a device upstairs.  With this OFF, works great (so far), with it on, it tanks.  I never thought a wireless extender could be the issue...

So far, case closed....I will report back in a couple days if it stays working properly.  FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7