Re: 2.4GHZ Band not broadcasting on X8 R8300

tamay
Initiate

2.4GHZ Band not broadcasting on X8 R8300

Set up my brand new X8 R8300 24 hours ago, and everything was working great. All 3 bands were connecting smoothly.I wake up today and discover that one of my 2.4GHz-only devices won't connect... then started down the rabbit hole, because the 2.4GHz SSID isn't broadcasting at all. Now I'm at a loss, and will probably be returning this router in favor of another brand.

Current state: Router claims to be broadcasting on all 3 bands. LEDs light up. Genie shows everything working smoothly. But 2.4GHz doesn't seem to actually be broadcasting... at all.

What I've tried, per lots of reading on this site:

• Latest Firmware - actually upgraded immediately upon initial setup, so at some point 2.4GHz worked on the latest firmware.
  • Older Firmware - downgraded to the version the router shipped with, just for kicks to see if that'd help
  • Factory Reset - a bunch of times. Both with the latest firmware, and after downgrading
  • Changing settings from factory have no effect
    • Tried changing channel to something other than Auto, no luck
    • Tried taking off all security, still no luck
    • Turned off 20/40... still no luck
    • Ensured there's no schedules or other settings that'd interfere... using factory settings
  • Guest network also doesn't appear to actually broadcast either, though Genie claims it is!

To the 2.4GHz devices, it's like the router doesn't exist, at all. To the 5GHz devices, that's all they can see. Which is frustrating, because 24 hours ago this wasn't a problem, at all.

So... any ideas before I return this thing? I'm not even interested at RMAing/replacing at this point. Maybe I'll just go back to D-Link.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

@tamay wrote:

...one of my 2.4GHz-only devices won't connect... then started down the rabbit hole, because the 2.4GHz SSID isn't broadcasting at all. Now I'm at a loss, and will probably be returning this router in favor of another brand.

How many wifi clients have you thrown at this SSID?

If one wifi device can't see 2.4GHz, I'd check with a different device to rule out the client as the bit with the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 18
tamay
Initiate

4 devices... A PC (can see all 3 SSIDs when working), a mobile phone set to only see 2.4GHz networks (it can also see the 5GHz SSIDs just fine), an Amazon Kindle that only operates on 2.4GHz, and a smart LED strip that also only operates on 2.4GHz.

After more futzing last night, I discovered that if I make a change to my network settings and/or reboot the router, the 2.4GHz band does broadcast (and I am able to see it on my devices) for about 30secs before it disappears, but even attempting to connect something to it in that timeframe is unsuccessful, with no apparent error. Or even a log message on the router.
Message 3 of 18
JamesGL
Master

Hi tamay,

I would suggest contacting support team for possible hardware issue.

Message 4 of 18

I'm having the same problem with my R8300. It's very diappointing as this router was expensive and useless for my Ring Doorbell.

My previous Neatgear router was better. Now I have to buy another router.

Message 5 of 18
mixie
Tutor

It has worked for months.  Then suddenly, extremely weak signal on 2.4GHz.   Signal is measured from a variety of devices (Androids, laptops) from close-to-touch the router to one room over.  

Signal strength (next to nothing) is same for internal and guest 2.4GHz networks.

There is no new wireless device in the environment.

Tried changing from Auto to channel 11.  No difference.

Tried changing security protocol.  No difference (wasn't expecting since it is a signal strength issue).

Verified that router has latest firmware: V1.0.3.54_1.1.37

The LEDs are all normal, 2.4GHz on.

Since I don't recall doing a firmware upgrade recently, is the hardware fried? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 18
JamesGL
Master

Hi mixie,

Contact support to better isolate the issue for possible hardware problem.

Message 7 of 18
ECB_COS
Aspirant

Fixed by installing 'R8300-V1.0.2.112_1.0.88_BETA.zip'

Background: Between Aug-17 - Jan-18 we experienced the same issues that were described by others in this forum; i.e., weak 2.4Ghz, then no 2.4Ghz, as well as intermittent internet. However, since I installed the Beta firmare 'R8300-V1.0.2.112_1.0.88_BETA' my internet connection has been solid, and all of my users have experience solid connections on all three channels.

Caveat: Several oddities have been observed by Apple Device users since installing this Beta firmware.

Even if they have connected to the SSID and password before now they cannot connect (automatically or manually) to the SSID unless it is set to:

(1) 'SSID Broadcast'.

(2) The Netgear Default SSID.

(3) The Netgear Default security key.

- I hope this helps

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 18
JamesGL
Master

Hi ECB_COS,

You tried to reset the router after the update?

Message 9 of 18
JamesGL
Master

Hi ECB_COS,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 10 of 18

Now mine is a door stop. Just stoppped working and is junk. Never spend $$$ on an expensive router. If I ever find my receipt, it's going back to Costco. If you bought this model, or anything else Netgear from Costco, save the receipt so you can return it. Replaced it with an older more reliable router bought used from ebay. I think QC must be failing at Netgear.

Oh well, at least it came in a pretty box. I should post a picture of it on facebook.

Caveat emptor

Message 11 of 18
mixie
Tutor

Yes, same problem also with an expensive AC1900.  Regularly the WiFi signal goes away completely (both LEDs off).  Only solution is to power cycle.  Totally unreliable.  Of course it is past the (short) warranty period.  I used to be a Netgear fan years ago, now it is my second expensive new router that fails.  Will never buy again until Netgear doubles the duration of its warranty to back up proof of quality improvements.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 18
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi mixie, 

A new firmware update is available for R7000 (AC1900). Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 18
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi mixie, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 14 of 18
andrexp
Aspirant

Hello,

I got the same problem with 2.4 Wiii-fi?

Firmware Version V1.0.2.122

Tried reset to factory defaults twices, but the same problem.

Can you help me?

Regards,

André.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 18

Not much to go on there. We have mo idea what you have tried from the previous list of suggestions.

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion – it started a year ago – so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 16 of 18
mixie
Tutor

Well, it sometimes works, although a reboot every week is required or it no longer allows devices to connect.  Totally unreliable.

Message 17 of 18
mixie
Tutor

There are plenty of details "SuperUser" in this thread.  Most complain about the same thing.  I think it is about time Netgear recalls those devices, even if the warranty is expired, and fessed up that there is a problem.   What happened to the Netgear we've known and loved for many years?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E