2.4GHz stopped working after firmware update

altjx
Tutor

2.4GHz stopped working after firmware update

I have never had any issues with any Wi-Fi routers in the past up until now. I just decided to use my Nighthawk X6 R8000 after my roommate's router started having issues balancing 12-13 devices connected at a time. Once I plugged it in, I immediately updated the firmware, enabled ARMOR, etc. However, one thing I wanted to do was enable SmartConnect and reconfigure the SSID and password to use the exact same settings as the original router. Everything was fine until I realized that some devices kept disconnecting randomly from WiFi.

I disabled SmartConnect and now I can no longer see my 2.4GHz wireless network being broadcasted. I can see the two 5ghz but not the 2.4ghz network.

Can someone help me understand why this may be happening? I've even reset my router back to factory settings. When resetting back to factory settings, I can see all three (the single 2.4ghz and the two 5ghz networks), but when enabling and disabling SmartConnect, it seems to entirely break 2.4Ghz altogether.

I am running firmware version V1.0.4.46_10.1.63. I want to say the one I updated from was V1.0.4.26_xx.x.xx

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

Re: 2.4GHz stopped working after firmware update

Smart Connect is broken on various models, don't use it. Also, the NG implementation is not "smart" at all

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 8
altjx
Tutor

Gotcha. Noted. Thanks so much.

Also, do you know how to actually factory reset this freaking device without needing a pin? I hold the button down for 10+ seconds, the power light is blinking amber, router starts back up, and all my settings are still there.

There isn't a button within the UI to perform a factory reset?

And how do I "reverse" this broken 2.4ghz network? I'm finally on the firmware I believe I was on prior to the upgrade, and performed a reset finally. However, I still can't see the 2.4ghz network.

Message 3 of 8
microchip8
Master

Look around. On my R7800 it is in Advanced -> Administration -> Backup Settings. There's an "Erase" button

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 8
altjx
Tutor

Any thoughts on restoring functionality to get 2.4ghz working again?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

A couple questions.

1. The R8000 recieved a firmware upgrade that rolled the 2.4ghz band into the 2x 5ghz band with its smart connect. So you don't "see" the 2.4ghz band anymore unless you're using a wireless channel scanner. So are you sure it isn't working? 

2. Netgear Armor was added on the version that you're currently running for firmware. Some people have had issues with netgear armor causing issues. From the sound of it, you've tried first line fix of resetting. I'm unsure if you did it correct if the settings remain. the second line fix is to roll back the firmware to the version before armor and to fully reset it after the downgrade.  

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 6 of 8
altjx
Tutor

I disabled Smart Connect and still don't see the 2.4ghz network. I also rolled the firmware back to the previous one (.28 rather than .46) and still don't see the 2.4ghz network. I've reset the router, bringing it back to its very factory default settings, and I still don't see the 2.4ghz. I've tried the following:

• Disabling SmartConnect
  • Re-enabling and then disabling SmartConnect (in case disabling it initially didn't fix the 2.4ghz network)
  • Rolled backfirmware
  • Reset back to factory settings
  • Renamed the 2.4ghz network to something differently

I have tried all of the above options more than once and it seems impossible to get my 2.4ghz network to broadcast. I can clearly see the two 5ghz networks, but just not the 2.4ghz one.

Screenshot of configuration page (intentionally didn't obfuscate password): https://i.imgur.com/ApI4d9u.png

Screenshot of wireless networks around the area: https://i.imgur.com/QIYIBzx.png

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Maybe it has a bad wireless chip in it. 

it should have a 1 year warranty. have you opened an RMA case with netgear if you're within your warranty period?

to do so, click "mynetgear" at the top, register an account and then your device. From there you can contact support (free for 90 days after purchase) or start an rma

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E