Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4Ghz Band just decided to stop working ... please help

E_Theory
Aspirant

2.4Ghz Band just decided to stop working ... please help

Dear Community.  

I have done a seach throughout the forums, but either missed the thread or it does not exist for the Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 Smart WiFi Router.  Last night, in the middle of the night, the 2.4GHz band just decided to stop connecting.  The router's 5Ghz band(s) and wired connections are woriking fine ... but even after a restart, any devices just seem to fail to connect ... even if the existing connection is forgotten and tried again from scratch.  

In other threads, it seems as if a factor reset has helped some people with other products ... but not sure about the Nighthawk X8.

My particular unit information:

Hardware Version R8500
Firmware Version V1.0.0.56_1.0.28
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.56_2.1.46.1

The unit has not moved since I first installed it.  I have tried switching channels, as well as adjusting the framentation length and CTS/RTS Threshold to 2304 (also as mentioned on other threads).

Any insight anyone could lend would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
E_Theory
Aspirant

Re: 2.4Ghz Band just decided to stop working ... please help

Okay...Thanks.  Well, I did get this at Best Buy....guess I may have to take it back in for a replacement/warranty.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Are you sure the radio is on? Any error message?

Message 2 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

Yes...I have verified several times that the radio is on ... and adjusted the settings inline with suggestions in similar threads.

The radio is "enabled", and 20/40 MHz Coexistence is also enabled.

My devices (phones, tables, Nest, etc.) can "see" the network ... it is just that nothing is connecting, as if it is not there.

Message 3 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

oh...and no error messages from what I can see.

Message 4 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

When you tried to connect to your radio(SSID) what happens? Was the connection process automatic before?

Message 5 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

When I have tried to connect, any of the previously connected deviced go into a "connect loop" wtihout actually connecting ... and eventually fail.

The connection process, once I put in to correct password, was automatic.

On many of the devices, I have tried "forgetting" the network and tried to connect "fresh" ... with no luck.

I do apparently have a firmware update available ... but, given what I have read in other threads, that may be a roll of the dice.

Message 6 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

My suggestion is to reset the router and configure the router anew and try. Of before this you can only reconfigure 2.4GHz band and try it first.

Message 7 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

Exactly my thinking.  Thanks...I will give that a shot.

Message 8 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

Okay...Did a reset of the router and tried setting things up .... unfortunately, 2.4GHz is still not connecting.

However, I am at least getting an error of "Failed To Obtain an IP Address" (and yes, I am sure I typed in in correctly).

Anyone have any ideas?

Message 9 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Hmmm,

Maybe, just maybe the 2.4 GHz radio RX is dead, only TX is operational... Nothing else left to try at this point.

Mind boggling, I have never seen that sort of failure on radio chip.

Message 10 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

Okay...Thanks.  Well, I did get this at Best Buy....guess I may have to take it back in for a replacement/warranty.

Message 11 of 14
E_Theory
Aspirant

I tried setting up a Guest Network on the 2.4GHz band as well....same deal unfortunately

Thank you VE6CGX for your assistance

Message 12 of 14
BARNES
Apprentice

Wasn't there a beta firmware for 2.4 in a congested situation? Not sure if it's related?

BTW: Don't use 2.4 much but noticed mine would stop excepting connections after a few days of uptime. Hmmm I recall a ton of threads on this 2.4 issue...

Mine is on the current official firmware...(102.54)

Message 13 of 14
BARNES
Apprentice

Sure enough after two days of uptime, my old lady comes downstairs and says she can't surf. Her phone likes the 2.4 btw.

2.4 could connect, but could not surf... Dropped it down to 433Mbps... Well see, oh and noticed a new firmware today, fingers crossed...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7