Re: 2.4Ghz stops working, 5Ghz fine.

Fmstrat
Guide

wrote:

Hi ep2015,

The issue with R7000 has been acknowledged and a firmware has been released to resolve the issue. 

For other users,

The thread is for R7000 but if you have the same issue, please check if you have any Google home devices or Chromecast which may cause the disconnection. Please make sure that the software or the patch the google has release is already installed on your devices.

Sorry, James, this thread was not started about the R7000, but for the R6900 (though I appreciate your edit from the original content of this post). Many other models have been listed by users in this thread as well. If this problem was limited to the R7000 I would agree, but it is very clear this issue is more widespread. Just because there is a hotfix that Netgear beleives will work for the R7000 does not negate the issue for everyone else, and I'm sure we will all continue to discuss here until firmwares are released across the board.

As for me, I have an Nvidia Shield, but it is updated to the latest firmware.

Thanks.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 103
jeff260z
Tutor

I disabled my google chromecast audio for now until Google fixes their firmware issue. This whole thing may have been caused by the Google chromecast, Google home bug. I am not sure when Google "updated" the cast system that started the issues. It's possible my old netgear firmware wasn't affected by the Google bug or Google released the new buggy firmware around Christmas time when i upgraded my router firmware.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 52 of 103
aabshire
Apprentice

wrote:

wrote:

Hi ep2015,

The issue with R7000 has been acknowledged and a firmware has been released to resolve the issue. 

Thanks.

Which version is the correct one? The router says no new firmware is available ,  and peopel seem to be having very mixed  results with various versions and hotfixes. 

V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Allen
Message 53 of 103
ep2015
Apprentice

wrote:

V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Thanks. I'm using that version and still have IP cameras that are on 2.4ghz disconnecting at random times (they NEVER did this  before these firmware issues started). 

EDIT: Also have two wifi printers running on 2.4ghz that are also randomly  disconnecting. (again, something that never happened before).

Message 54 of 103
jraybourn
Aspirant

Running the R8900.... and no I don't have any chromecast stuff on the network.  We have iphones, ipads, a pos system through an ipad, and 7 computers but the computers are all hardwired.  We have a few tvs that are hooked up to the router as well, but once again, these are all hooked up via ethernet.  Every tv we have are samsungs except for one which is a vizio.  The only thing we use these tvs for are as monitors for our computers.  Very very seldomly someone will load up netflix or something on one of them.  But nothing to do with Google Chromcast.  Our modem is upgraded to the newest version V1.0.1.54_1.0.1.  We were running on an older firmware for months without any issues, and then it just started having this problem with the 2.4 ghz band... After 2 weeks of dealing with the problem of having to reboot the modem to fix the issue, I did the firmware update to V1.0.1.54_1.0.1.  We were good for about 2 weeks after downloading the new firmware... now its back to a daily issue.  I'm in complete agreement fmstrat.  This is a widespread problem affecting multiple routers, and although yes I understand there may be different fixes for each, I don't see a point in starting a seperate thread for each device.  And all most of us really want is a little communication that the issue is being worked on instead of going days without hearing any responses from anyone at netgear.  Obviously we want our routers working properly as well... but a little communication goes a long way.  I will be following this post to see if anything is figured out.

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 55 of 103
Jeffrey88
Aspirant

I do have three Chromecasts running in the house, but I find it strange that this issue only started happening after I updated my router firmware to R6900-V1.0.1.34_1.0.24.chk, and the problem went away after quite a bit of experimentation that led me to ultimately go back to R6900-V1.0.1.26_1.0.20.chk. Since then, my network has been running spot on like it did before the pre Christmas time firmware update. The Chromecasts were present well before the pre Christmas firmware update, all the troubleshooting, and since I went back to an older stable firmware. While Google is acknowledging a problem, it seems very convenient for Netgear that they can now just blame the issue on them, and not have to really work on a fix on their end. I'm guessing that I will stay on this firmware until one of two things happens. They will either put out a fix for this very frustrating issue that apparently covers a large amount of Netgear models, or my router will eventually fail in some manner, and I will go with a different brand of router, and leave Netgear in the past.  

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 56 of 103
Jeffrey88
Aspirant

@Case850, thank you for your message. I acknowledge the Google issue. I guess that my question is why doesn't the Google issue affect the older firmware that I am using? If I had never updated to the newer firmware, then I would never have been affected, or known about, the 2.4Ghz issue even though I have Chromecasts on the network.

Message 57 of 103
Jeffrey88
Aspirant

@Case850,

Thank you for the explanation, and for the help! Based on what you know about Google's rolling out of a fix, would you say that going back to the latest firmware would be warranted at this point?

Message 58 of 103
Spuck20
Guide

Okay, so, let me get this straight.  They're saying it is Google's fault because of the broadcast storm, but it only impacts later firmware?   Unless there's a huge compelling reason for that particular change in the newer firmware, it doesn't sound like much of an "enhancement" to me, whatever it was they did in the later firmwares.    

It should be easy enough to test by just upgrading firmware and seeing if the problems continue and if they do, then unplugging the Chromecast and Google devices on the network.  (hopefully they're not essential components to every day use.  Ours just get occasional use)  and seeing if that fixes the problem should confirm the issue.  

Here's a few things that still make me completely skeptical that's actually it.  I'm pretty sure, (correct me on this) that the Chromecast firmware is updated via the Android app, rather than pushed,  and I didn't do any such thing before the problems began back the end of November.  I'd been fighting the issue from late November and posted the original concern on December 8 or so.  Second, I've seen stuff talking about the Google broadcast storm issue started happening late December.  As mentioned, my router issue started well before that.  (Both points easily refuted if I'm wrong on that info) The last thing is, someone earlier in this thread said they have no Google devices on their network but are having the exact same issues.  Assuming accuracy with that statement, how is it the Google broadcast storm issue?  (Neighbor has hacked wifi and has a Chromecast?)       

Message 59 of 103
ReneM
Aspirant

This is my last netgear product. Purchased it because of easy setup. We are in our 70's and can manage to set things up but reading that I have to remove an update to get the router to start working on 2.4Ghz is beyond my capabilities. I see that if I factory reset it I will loose the password settings?  There are pages and pages of folks experiencing this issue.  It's apparently not new since I've seen this occurring in 2015! I got it in January 2018 and worked until the firmware update. 

Message 60 of 103
jeff260z
Tutor

No disconnection issues since I removed my Google chromecast audio from my network.
Message 61 of 103
151Proof
Initiate

Im not sure if this has been a suggestion yet for you but, to me, it sounds like you are having interference on your 2.4g spectrum.  first, update your modem / router / AP to the latest firmware.  do a spectrum analysis of your home ( there are some decent free ones for your phone) and make sure you arent getting a lot of interference on the channel your wifi signal is on. It will show all the networks in your area and what channel and strength they are at where you are at.  if you see other networks on your channel switch to a different one with less interference. recommended channels - 1,6,12.

Message 62 of 103
Spuck20
Guide

Yeah, thanks for trying to be helpful, but you're clearly not following the discussion.   Spectrum interference can definitely be an issue for things, (best one was the Roku 2S wifi remote that blocks the Roku box from maintaining anything but the most minimal of connections with the router) but spectrum interference is not going to vary based upon the firmware installed in the router, and the firmware issue is clearly what has been the problem, regardless of the underlying deficiency in the firmware. That is, unless you're trying to say that later iterations of the firmware have a weakness in dealing with the interference that wasn't present in the earlier fimwares. 

However, I'll just say that before I figured out that the problem was tied to the firmware upgrade, one of the first things I did was analyze what channels were in use as there are several other networks visible from my house.  Locking in any particular channel had no resulting improvement, but firmware rollback immediately stopped the disconnects.   Since rolling back the firmware, I've had no router issues in 2 months, though, our local power company has managed to reboot the whole house twice during that time.  Otherwise, it's been smooth sailing.  

Are we still blaming Google?  How about the issue that I raised previously that the issue preceded the Google change?  

Message 63 of 103
yusimd
Initiate

Hi,

Have a D7000v2 rouuter (its same as R but with DSL) running on V1.0.0.47_1.0.1 firmware.

Same problem - 2.4 GHz network drops devices, the 5 GHz is fine.

I must state I have no chromecast devices of any kind in hte house. My old TP-Link works just fine. Got the Netgear product because of 802.11ac.

Is there a fix comming????

Message 64 of 103
JamesGL
Master

Hi yusimd,

Please post it under the CABLE/DSL modem board.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers-and-DSL/ct-p/en-home-dsl-and-cable-modems

Message 65 of 103
bytat
Tutor

Possible solution: completely cleanse the wifi settings on the devices and reconnect.

This worked for me. I'm on the xvortex/merlin asuswrt firmware.

A while ago I suddenly had issues with some ios devices not connecting to the 2.4 ghz band/ sudden drop outs. I tried to revert to older firmwares , even stock, but the problem still remained. I got the idea to try resetting all wifi settings on my iphone, reconnected to the network, and suddenly it worked again. This might be stating the obvious but don't neglect to try this if all else fails.

Message 66 of 103
Dettenator
Aspirant

I have been running into this issue also, what I have found is that no matter what you do to your router, some devices will not work while 5.o is active.

For instance, I have a Ambient weather WS 2902, it works on 2.4ghz only, in the dierections it scpecifically says you must dissable the 5.0ghz band in order for the WS 2902 to connect to the 2.4ghz wifi signal, it will not work as long as the 5.0ghz is active, same thing with my wall plugs that work with my Alexa dot, they will not connect at all.

Message 67 of 103
William10a
Master

Strange that you would have to disable the 5ghz band so a 2.4 ghz device to work, if the apartment had a duo band router running next door to you then your devive would never work unloess they disable their 5ghz as well.

Sounds a like a design issue with the devices from what you said the directions say any 5ghz band on any router would have to be disabled to allow the the device to work.

Message 68 of 103
Dettenator
Aspirant

All i know is while trying to connect neither device would connect while i had the 5ghz activated, as soon as i turned it off they connected in seconds and working flawlessly, I'm sure it's only 5ghz wifi with the same password or sane name maybe, not sure.
Message 69 of 103
William10a
Master

The only thing that makes sense is the the devices some how use the 5ghz band and the routers 5ghz interferes with it, but strange that they would make a device that can not see the 5ghz band but not work in its present.

Message 70 of 103
Skyrider1
Aspirant

After Changing My SSID in the router 2.4GHz and 5 GHz Both are working Fine.

Message 71 of 103
Leioproctus
Initiate

It's now 2018, 238 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes and 32 seconds since Spuck20 began this post

I have the very latest firmware for my Nighthawk X4S D7800 and am nowing facing this specific issue.

I just brought this a few months ago, 10 years ago this is what you could expect with a router, I had the impression that things had come a long way since then, especially for $500 in 2018. What use is all the fancy frills if it can't even do the simplist of things like being able to maintain a 2.4ghz connection.

Firware is one thing, it seems to me to be more of a quality control issue, it would appear some of us have really been buying lemons unawares

It looks like this will have to be taken back and I won't be buying any Netgear routers again.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 72 of 103
IntruderNZ
Initiate

Netgear. Do you guys have any clue into what you are doing with your firmware?
Since I've updated the firmware on my R8000 it has been running be like a turd on the 2.4ghz channels which are needed for their range as 5ghz is very limited. Not impressed. All good having this fancy pants router when the manufacturer can't even write the software to run it properly. It will be the the last last Netgear product I purchase if you look to can't resolve this. I feel slightly ripped off.
Message 73 of 103
IrvSp
Master

@IntruderNZ wrote:
Netgear. Do you guys have any clue into what you are doing with your firmware?
Since I've updated the firmware on my R8000 it has been running be like a turd on the 2.4ghz channels which are needed for their range as 5ghz is very limited. Not impressed. All good having this fancy pants router when the manufacturer can't even write the software to run it properly. It will be the the last last Netgear product I purchase if you look to can't resolve this. I feel slightly ripped off.

I see you tagged onto another one that was basically old as well. Did you read all the posts?

Again, no idea what f/w you have.

From the sound of the problem though I suggest you:

1. Go to a browser, enter the routers IP Address into the URL, press enter, enter userid and password.
  2. Write down (or take screenshots) of ALL changes to settings you made for inputting later.
  3. Go to ADVANCED tab on top, ADMINISTRATION, BACKUP ROUTER on left. Use the REVERT TO FACTORY SETTINGS, ERASE button to clear NVRAM.
  4. Router REBOOT will be done.
  5. MANUALLY re-enter JUST the WIRELESS settings.
  6. TEST speeds.
  7. IF OK, MANUALLY enter all other settings you made prior.
  8. TEST speeds.
  9. IF OK, done, if NOT, determine which setting has caused the problem. This might mean repeating the NVRAM errase and adding back settings one by one followed by a speed test.
Message 74 of 103
bsaba
Initiate

Bring the 2.4 Ghz channel seepd to the lowest setiing (from 300Mbs to 54Mbs)  this will solve your problme.

Message 75 of 103
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements