2 R7000 to entend my wifi network

cmartorelli
Guide

2 R7000 to entend my wifi network

I have 2 r7000 routers. I would like to place the second in thr garage to extend my wifi network. I have a eathernet cable in the garage so I can wire the togeather. I am using firmware 1.0.9.42_10.2.44. I see there is a repeating mode which I can use for the second router.

Is this what I want to use?

Will this be getting the single for the eathernet cable? 

Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: 2 R7000 to entend my wifi network

You can use it as a wireless repeater. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater

I wouldn't though. In wireless repeater, you'll lose speed and increase latency.

I'd set it up as a wireless access point if you've already got the wire ran. You won't take the speed/latency hit. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 4
cmartorelli
Guide

Thanks for the advise. If I set it up as a wireless access point would I be creating a different WIFI channel with a different name? My origional intention was to have seamless wifi coverage on the otherside of the house. For example If I was on a device on one side of the house and moved to another side the single would transfer between the two routers. If this Is not possable or advisabe I understand, just looking for answers.

Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@cmartorelli wrote:

Thanks for the advise. If I set it up as a wireless access point would I be creating a different WIFI channel with a different name? My origional intention was to have seamless wifi coverage on the otherside of the house. For example If I was on a device on one side of the house and moved to another side the single would transfer between the two routers. If this Is not possable or advisabe I understand, just looking for answers.

Thanks

You can use the same ssid. A lot depends on the device you're using but most newer/ish devices should do fine. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Setting-Multiple-Routers-in-AP-Mode-with-sam...

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E