Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2021 R7000 goes offline every couple of months

SNOW-DM
Guide

2021 R7000 goes offline every couple of months

It's not even a year old yet.   I've had the problem twice since October - suddenly computer says there's no internet - wifi router only has orange light on far left.   Turning it off and on doesn't seem to fix.   In October I had to go the reset route and finally got it working.   This week it has gone offline twice - I find out when computer suddenly says no internet, after I've been using it for a while.   It seems to take several shutdowns and restarts to get it working.   I checked, my firmware is up to date, and on autoupdate.

VERY disappointed Netgear not willing to help unless they are paid (can't afford that) and I researched the product on Consumer reports and got recommendations from local computer shop that this was best option for my simple 2 computers, 1 phone, non-gaming, internet browsing, email reading, 3 zooms a week, occassional webinars lifestyle.     I can't in good conscience recommend it to my friends whose routers will need replacing soon and are watching my experience... since it just randomly causes me hours of outage at inconvenient times with apparently no explanation or solution.

My previous Belkin router never had a single issue, until is stopped working due to old age incompatibility of some sort.

My ears are open if I've missed the fix!

Message 1 of 19
microchip8
Master

Newest firmware version doesn't mean each time that it's the best. You can downgrade to an older version and see if it works for you. Then wait for future firmware that may fix your issue. Luckily, NETGEAR still supports the R7000

Message 2 of 19
plemans
Guru

Well you didn't give us much to go off. 

1. what actual firmware version are you on? 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to?

3. when it drops, do wired devices drop as well or just the wireless? 

Something else to keep in mind is that this router was released in 2013. If people are looking for a newer router, this wouldn't be the one I'd recommend due to it being an 8 year old router. Was it solid/good performing in its time? Sure but again, that was a while a ago. 

Message 3 of 19

@SNOW-DM wrote:

It's not even a year old yet. 

Which means that it is still covered by warranty if it has a manufacturing defect. (In some countries warranties last longer than a year.)

Start the RMA process by checking MyNetgear.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Or use this place to get free lifetime technical support.

Message 4 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

They don't consider it defective because it started working again.   That's what I was told when I called in.   They wanted $ to discuss anything more.

Message 5 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

Well,  really disappointed to hear maybe I didn't get the best option, and certainly didn't realize how old it was.    I'm not an expert at this techy stuff, last time I plugged in the router and it just went until it stopped working.  I was hoping for the same again.  

It's the latest version of firmware that came out in September.... 

I talked to the internet company in January when I discovered I needed to replace the router, they said the modem was current, it looks to be an ARRIS TM1602 and has never given me any grief.     

I have everything running wireless, so nothing connnects to internet when the router goes off.

So if I need to replace this one, what would you recommend for a nothing fancy reliable one?

Message 6 of 19
plemans
Guru

I'm not saying its a bad router. For the vast majority of users, it can work great and does work great. 

But it can have its issues. 

And the auto-update server for the R7000 has never been reliable. Its why we usually have people log into the device to see what actual firmware they're on because they're are sketchy versions. 

And if you don't like the firmware on it, the r7000 has a pretty large 3rd party firmware following if something like that interests you.

So to start off with, what actual version of the firmware are you on? 

If you do change firmwares on it, I'd recommend a factory reset/reinstall. Some of the versions of firmware changed quite a few things and old settings can cause issues. 

I'd also check the next time it goes down (could be months later) if it does work with harwired devices when it drops. that'd be another key detail 

Message 7 of 19

@SNOW-DMwrote:
They don't consider it defective because it started working again.   That's what I was told when I called in.   They wanted $ to discuss anything more.

I can see their point. Something that has happened as spasmodically as that may well be down to circumstances that have nothing to do with your router. The symptoms you describe certainly don't indicate a dead device. They could also be down to the internet service and/or the modem you use to connect to it.

Put  a bit of effort into troubleshooting and you may be able to track down the cased of the problem. We need more detail than the description of your experience with earlier hardware:

My previous Belkin router never had a single issue, until is stopped working due to old age incompatibility of some sort.

Sadly, " old age incompatibility of some sort" could hide many things.

And "latest version" is not helpful.

Message 8 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

My apologies for my short, limited research replies, and I don't know how to reply to everyone.    I DO very much appreciate your help!!!  My plate has been overflowing for a while and after a month and a half in hospital and rehab my mother was coming home yesterday.     I hope to carve out some dedicated time later today to carefully answer your questions and get the firmware #.     

I'm not sure what you mean by working hardwired - the wifi?    I have the computer hardwired into the modem right now, and that's the only way I can use the internet, there's no wifi.    Will check on firmware, etc. later.    Ah yes, forgot to say the router died again the next day, that must have been Monday?   Haven't been able to get it back with any number of shutdowns/reboots.   Have left if off and will try it one more time later and fill in details.

Message 9 of 19

@SNOW-DM wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by working hardwired - the wifi?    I have the computer hardwired into the modem right now, and that's the only way I can use the internet, there's no wifi.  

Hardwired means plugged in with a cable. Not wifi.

I doubt if you have the "computer hardwired into the modem". At least, it shouldn't be.

The router is supposed to be "hardwired" into the modem. The computer is then hardwired into the router. Anything else is asking for trouble,

You said earlier "I have everything running wireless, so nothing connects to Internet when the router goes off."

That does not tie in with having the PC "hardwired". If it is on wifi, it isn't hardwired.

That takes us back to the earlier question from @plemans, "when it drops, do wired devices drop as well or just the wireless?"

As you can see, we don't know what is going on at your end.

You say the PC is "hardwired" but then say that everything is on wifi.

Let's go through the problem.

• The Internet dies occasionally
  • What actually happens?
  • There are LEDs on the router, what do they look like when the Internet dies?
  • Do wired and wireless devices all lose the Internet connection?

Ah yes, forgot to say the router died again the next day, that must have been Monday?   Haven't been able to get it back with any number of shutdowns/reboots.   Have left if off and will try it one more time later and fill in details.

Look at the LEDs on the router and the modem. If the modem isn't connected to the Internet, then the router has no hope of connecting. Don't automatically assume that any problems you are see are down to the router. As well as the modem, there are the wifi clients that you are trying to connect to the Internet.

Don't just flail around with those shutdowns/reboots. Do it methodically in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Networks are incredibly dumb. Everything has to be done by the book. Get one thing wrong and they panic.

Message 10 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

I appreciate your help.   Let me see if I can explain clearly what has been going on.

I usually first notice the internet has dropped when on my laptop (only wifi - no place to plug a cable) and my phone when I use an app that needs the internet.   Then I go look at the router.   All of the lights are off except the far left one is orange.    The router will then periodically turn itself on, a whole bunch of white lights turn on and maybe flash some and then it obviously gives up and goes back to the single orange power light.    

This happened twice, on different days, and thru the cycle you have noted I was eventually able to get the router back up and running, and thus have wifi for all of my devices.   The third day it happened I was not able to get the router to work.   I left it off for a day and came back to it, still no luck.   I've left it off while I deal with the rest of life.    In the meantime I unplug the cable that is usually plugged into the back of the router, coming from the modem, and plug it into my desktop computer because that's the only way I can get any internet to talk to you folks, read email, do zooms, and other things that are critical to life.   

So now I am going to unplug that yellow cable from the back of this computer, thus cutting off my internet communications, and plug it back into the router and see if' it's decided to work.   If not, I will do the sequence and see what happens after that.   If the router doesn't decide to work I will need to unplug the yellow cable back into the computer so I can report the result back to you.

Fingers crossed!

Message 11 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

So I did all the shutdowns and restarted modem and then turned on the router.   Initially all the router lights turn on, they are actually not just plain white, some bluish, some pinkish, but after they run thru their routine, it's back to the single orange power light, not working.   This is same behavior it exhibited last time.

So what next?

Message 12 of 19
plemans
Guru

Did you try factory resetting by pushing and holding reset for 7-15 seconds? 

An amber power light can indicate hardware or corrupt firmware issues. 

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.
are you on windows? if so, follow this guide
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
just make sure you enable tftp
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 13 of 19

@SNOW-DM wrote:

....it's back to the single orange power light, not working.   This is same behavior it exhibited last time.

A clear indicator that the firmware is corrupt.

Follow the advice from @plemans.

@SNOW-DM wrote:

Initially all the router lights turn on, they are actually not just plain white, some bluish, some pinkish, but after they run thru their routine, it's back to the single orange power light, not working.  

Colour vision is a very subjective thing. I just referred to the labels that Netgear mentions in its documentation. It uses what it calls "blue" LEDs to indicate wifi activity and things happening on an Orbi device. It labels the power LED as "white".

Message 14 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

I finally had a couple hours I could wait on hold and got an RMA set up.   Hopefully by the new year I'll have a new router that works.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Message 15 of 19
sktn77a
Virtuoso

@SNOW-DM wrote:

So I did all the shutdowns and restarted modem and then turned on the router.   Initially all the router lights turn on, they are actually not just plain white, some bluish, some pinkish, but after they run thru their routine, it's back to the single orange power light, not working.   This is same behavior it exhibited last time.

Sounds like a flaky power supply.  Glad you were finally able to get past their "obstruct-customer support" to get an RMA without falling foul to their "paid support" scam!

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend placing a USB laptop cooler under the router. Possible the HW was getting tired and over heated as well. Additional cooling helps save HW which heat will damage over time. 

Message 17 of 19
SNOW-DM
Guide

I got my new router and installed it this morning.   Doesn't help that their instructions are incomplete and not always accurrate!   It is working, YAHOO!   It's been a long 3 weeks.

I will look for a cooler... Would it be good to turn the router off at night, when not being used?   What is the best way to do that?

Message 18 of 19
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it up and running. 

I'd probably just leave it on. A small cooler isn't going to draw much power. 

If you're wanting it off, you could always get a timer that powers it on/off as needed. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7