[3rd Party Firmware] Highest performance / Stability Firmware @ AP mode with USBShare

aznphatb0i
Aspirant

[3rd Party Firmware] Highest performance / Stability Firmware @ AP mode with USBShare

I have an R7000 which is configured as an Access Point.

An external hard drive is connected to the R7000 via USB for network sharing.

In this configuration, what do you think is the best firmware for stability first, performance second, and features third (Only important feature is the ability to share a hard drive on the network while in AP mode)

XVortex Asus Merlin 378.54_2

Shibby's Tomato 129

NetGear Firmware 1.0.4.30

Kong's DD-WRT

Other

Message 1 of 2
AirWaveZ
Guide

Re: [3rd Party Firmware] Highest performance / Stability Firmware @ AP mode with USBShare

For your use case, I would recommend you stay with the NETGEAR firmware.

Sharing the disk attached to the USB port is a very basic feature which works fine on the stock firmware. Are you experiencing any particular wireless issue - do you lose connection or do you have to reboot the router once in a while?

If you are not having any problem now, then stick to the NETGEAR firmware. As the goes, If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I am a huge fan of the DDWRT firmware and often amazed how much a unit can do once you switch to the ddwrt version. But I would recommend switching the open source firmwares only if you want to take advantage of more advanced features like vlan, multiple virtual wireless lans etc.

--
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements