Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5-3-17 R7000 firmware killed my lanport download speed

jimmyfor20
Aspirant

5-3-17 R7000 firmware killed my lanport download speed

Updated my firmware to latest version from netgear. Now my lan ports won't go over 10.5Mbps. WiFi seems unaffected. I'm still getting 110 to 117Mbps. Netgear... You f'ed up. 90% of my bandwidth is gone. Why are you releasing jacked up firmware...worse than a virus?  I'm now back at Rev.1.0.7.6_1.1.99 . I did factory reset.... still can't get over 11Mbps. Before the "upgrade" I was getting 120Mbps down, and 12Mbps up.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
jimmyfor20
Aspirant

Re: 5-3-17 R7000 firmware killed my lanport download speed

ok, I think I've resolved my issue I had xfinity tech come out to check their circuit. The tech sent a signal down to my Motorola SB6141 Modem to reset it. This step had been done over the phone by Xfinity customer service twice a few days ago with NO effect.  Then I disconnected all wiring except for power on the R7000. I did a "factory reset" with a paperclip on the back of the R7000. I then connected ethernet devices one by one. My speed came back except on one PC. It was still stuck on 12Mbps up and 12Mbps down. The PC has a Killer E2200 NIC on the motherboard. I downloaded diagnostics from Rivet networks. After running the diags on the PC, it fixed the NIC. My speed is now restored to the pre-update levels of 125Mbps down and 12Mbps up on BOTH wired and wireless ports. I turned on QoS and it killed my bandwidth, so I turned it back off.

My advise to anyone with this issue would be to disconnect all network devices BEFORE updating the router. It seems like when a update of the router is done, the update will cause your other devices to become corrupted. I'm on an older firmware now.... the one that ends with 99.ck or something like that.... That's where I'm staying for a while.....

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a factory reset performed before and after applying the FW update?

Was all QoS and Traffic Monitoring features disable while speed testing?

Are you testing speeds with a LAN wired PC with all security software disabled on the PC while testing?

Trying different browsers and different speed testing sites and servers?

Message 2 of 12
AhnFire
Guide

Same thing happened to me. It took me a downgrade + upgrade + multiple factory resets... i think it's back to normal. I also turned off QoS (or made sure it was turned off). I stil have some problems... my router into a switch... one of my devices on the switch suddenly dropped to 10mbps as well. Wifi is normal. I am not happy with this upgrade either. What is the deal with the UBS2.0 light? 

Message 3 of 12
jimmyfor20
Aspirant

What is a "factory reset"? How is this done? Is this done in the router menu, or by paperclip on the unit itself? I went into "backup settings" and reset the router there.  Do all lanports need to be disconnected while doing the firmware update?

Message 4 of 12
AhnFire
Guide

@jimmyfor20 wrote:

What is a "factory reset"? How is this done? Is this done in the router menu, or by paperclip on the unit itself? I went into "backup settings" and reset the router there.  Do all lanports need to be disconnected while doing the firmware update?

I initially did it like you did in the menu there. However, something happened and then it refused my connections to 192.168.1.1, so I had to do it with the paperclip + 6 seconds way.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset can be done from the UI or from the back reset button. Both do the same thing. Review the user manual for location and information on factory resets.

Message 6 of 12
jimmyfor20
Aspirant

Ok, so I did my factory resets through the U.I.   They don't fix my issue. I have a very simple setup. No Qos, No port forwarding, No remote admin. Wondering if I should disconnect all ports while doing the flash\update?  This step wasn't recommended by Netgear. I've flashed BIOS on many Dell computers. It has always worked first time. Netgear, you need to step your game up. Your customer service is HORRIBLE. You put out bad firmware, they charge people $$$ to fix. If I ever get this issue fixed, trust me, I'll NEVER buy Netgear products again. I work in I.T., and lots of people ask me for recommendations for home network equipment. I won't be recommending ANYTHING from Netgear, due to their lousy support.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

How about installed prior FW version using same factory reset process?

Message 8 of 12
William10a
Master

Almost sounds like qos is limiting the wired lan ports but strange you have such fast speeds on the wifi and not the wired lan ports are you sure the nvram cleared its self of the old firmware?

Message 9 of 12
jimmyfor20
Aspirant

ok, I think I've resolved my issue I had xfinity tech come out to check their circuit. The tech sent a signal down to my Motorola SB6141 Modem to reset it. This step had been done over the phone by Xfinity customer service twice a few days ago with NO effect.  Then I disconnected all wiring except for power on the R7000. I did a "factory reset" with a paperclip on the back of the R7000. I then connected ethernet devices one by one. My speed came back except on one PC. It was still stuck on 12Mbps up and 12Mbps down. The PC has a Killer E2200 NIC on the motherboard. I downloaded diagnostics from Rivet networks. After running the diags on the PC, it fixed the NIC. My speed is now restored to the pre-update levels of 125Mbps down and 12Mbps up on BOTH wired and wireless ports. I turned on QoS and it killed my bandwidth, so I turned it back off.

My advise to anyone with this issue would be to disconnect all network devices BEFORE updating the router. It seems like when a update of the router is done, the update will cause your other devices to become corrupted. I'm on an older firmware now.... the one that ends with 99.ck or something like that.... That's where I'm staying for a while.....

Message 10 of 12
AhnFire
Guide

I found something similar. I have not tried rebooting the modem itself yet. I am getting strange quick disconnects across all devices every so I often. I did a full reset of my network, powering down my multiple switches and bridges, making sure I did a full factory reset with on my pc wired directly to the router first. 

At a good time later today, I will power down my router, power down my cable modem. Then I will bring up that cable modem and then the router again. That should complete it for me. Hopefully everything is stable. I downgraded to 1.0.7.6.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Someone else mentioned in a thread about Killer NICs. They seem to have there own QoS features. I believe disabling WMM on the main host router helped with these particular model NICs. WMM should be left enabled for most other network Adapters.

@jimmyfor20 wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7